• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which pet carrier?

tunnelwell

Young Bun
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/toys_transport/crates_carriers/278051

This one is larger and can be used as a small tent. The opening is in the side making it easier for the rabbit to hop in and out of. Made from nylon... My bag is made from nylon and parts of it got chewed. The bottom bit is fleece bedding and then nylon under it. If rabbit wees a lot, it might soak through. There's a shoulder strap.

http://www.savic.be/elmo-large

This one is smaller but made from hard plastic that can't be chewed apart. It's just large enough for my mini lop to turn around and I wouldn't need to worry about wee going through the bottom. If I bump into someone or something the impact can't hurt the rabbit because of the hard plastic, unlike the soft nylon in the other carrier.

For journeys of 2-3hrs (time to get to vet) what would you go for?

Neither :) Fabric ones and rabbits don't mix well, the second one is exactly like the carrier I have for my hamster.

I'd go for a cabrio carrier if it were to be a long journey. Easy access, spacious and sturdy. But even the cheap cat carriers from argos would be more suitable and comfortable for the rabbit than the ones you have linked :)

Last edited:
I bought this one recently:
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=152&pf_id=60672

it is a very good value version of many that are suitable. Top opening makes it easy to get the rabbit in and out if they won't go in the front of their own accord. The more expensive versions often come with pads for the base to make them comfier - this one doesn't but I've just cut some vet bed to fit.

Loving the pink pet planet one... Need a new carrier as well. I already have one in this style (boring grey colour) so I'll get the pink one for my two girls! I like this style. Its handy being able to take the door right off so that they can use it as a shelter in their run.

I second the Cabrio. Like Aly&Poppy I've got one as well as other designs and would go for the Cabrio every time. :thumb:

I couldn't recommend the cabrio carrier more ! The first two you linked are both unsuitable ... The fabric one would be chewed through (especially if you left it in the enclosure) and the second one is too small . The cabrio gives you great access and you can use it as a hidey place in their enclosure . I'd never get another carrier for any animal (unless it didnt fit!)

The only negative reviews on the cabrio seems to be it's flimsy plastic that breaks easily, or it's heavy even without the pet inside. One review even talked about a cat pushing its way out the locked door.

I don't think it's flimsy or heavy at all, maybe they had a heavy cat! :lol: my 2kg and 3.8kg rabbits fit in there nicely together :) very secure :)

The only negative reviews on the cabrio seems to be it's flimsy plastic that breaks easily, or it's heavy even without the pet inside. One review even talked about a cat pushing its way out the locked door.

I'd rather it be slightly heavier and last than flimsier and break quickly. Besides, N&T together are a total lump to haul around no matter what carrier I have them in! I think it's more the size of a carrier that causes the problem with carrying rather than the actual weight, as no matter what weight you carry in that awkward way it feels like a lot.

If you're concerned about the door, there's a little latch designed to padlock it if you want to. I've never felt the need but it's right there ready to use for that :D

I noticed the dimensions advertised on Amazon are different for each colour, and weight is vastly different. Contacted Hagen about their Cabrio product and they replied me with "The Catit Cabrio carriers are all the same size and weight. The dimensions are 53.5cms high, 27.5cms wide and 40.5cms long. The weight is 4.21 kg."

Think she meant 53.5cm long, 40.5cm wide, and 27.5cm high... else the pet carrier would look terrible.

I bought my rabbit's pet carrier out of Pets At Home. It was originally for a medium sized cat, but I've had it for 4 years and it's still like new considering it had to endure weekly train, bus and car visits to the vets with my old rabbit Muffin who was undergoing treatment. It's quite thick plastic and it's very safe. I remember it cost £14 which was a bargain!

Back