• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which do you prefer - Unusual bunnies or average bunnies?

Which do you prefer - Unusual bunnies or average bunnies?

• I like unusual bunnies

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • I like normal boring bunnies

Votes: 24 51.1%

• Total voters
I love all bunnies, but am a real sucker for a lop! Both my childhood bunnies were lops and I just love them.

I only saw a few pics of Strawberry and Snowdrop before I got them.

Any bun..don't have a preference..I do have a soft spot for REWS and agouti dutch..but have yet to meet a rabbit I didn't like:D

My favourite are Nethies but that might just be because Tinkerbell was such a character.

Sooty is a mixed breed and she is lovely too :D

We take whatever needs a home, but I must say my favourite colour is agouti and my favourite breed is a dwarf lop.
Luckily we took in a stray bun, who turned out to be just that, sadly she doesn't want to know us, just Runt her boyfriend.:lol:

Looks-wise I don't have a type. I used to prefer loppy ears, but since having my Beau I've seen how expressive uppy eared buns are, so now I like both. I'm not a fan of plain black or plain white or rexs, but other than that, lookswise I am open. Every time I think I know what I like, a bun changes my mind - I didn't used to like pure nethies, but poppymoon's eric and HS's squishy have totally changed that!!

awwwww, eric's blushing now:lol: fanks:D

i have no preference - any bunny, piggy, hamster, person, car, house, place to holiday ...... something (and i can't explain what) just draws you to them or it (oh dear, i really do sound like a spaced out hippy:oops::shock::lol:

my tastes have changed so much since i first got Alvin.. at one point i would of given anything to get a giant. since pearl i adore white buns so a NZW would be my dream... but itll only ever be a dream, if i lose one of these pair then the next bunny i bring home will be chosen by the remaining bun and Lou at hopper haven (assuming shell adopt to me again :D)

black bunnies with attitude & white bunnies all snuggly will always be my fave tho :love::love::love::love:

I dunno really. I have a REW and a black otter (think thats what he is called) and to me they are the cutest things, but I do really like the tri coloured bun's, and I'm not a big lop lover, they're cute, but the bit between the ears kinda freaks me out a little :oops: :shock: no idea why.

Yup, I do feel a bit funny when people jump to offer homes to a particular breed bunny (or other animal) when the only thing they know about the animal is what breed it is, nothing about colour/personality/temperament. Especially if the animal is the other side of the country, and it makes me wonder that if the person was so keen on getting a new bunny what's wrong with taking a different rabbit from a local rescue? Especially as in a lot of cases the person offering wasn't really actively seeking a new pet, but the bunny/rat/whatever animal it was happened to be their favourite breed.

I must admit I am guilty of this. I'd been trying to get a wifelet for Blue (frenchie x) and because of his size I wasn't really looking for a small bun. When I saw Ollie on RIN and J agreed to let me have her I was more than happy to go to essex and back 2 weekends running to get her. I did try my local rescues first though, but no-one had what I was looking for.
The fact that their markings are so similar is just a co-incidence.
I would take on any bun I think, but I would go more for bigger buns cause I'm less frightened of hurting/breaking/losing them :oops: .
When I was at Kris' I had cuddles with 'little' buns and they felt so delicate :shock:
All buns make me go :love: though....and if I was to get other buns, I would go and see who picked me rather than pick myself.

I must admit I am guilty of this. I'd been trying to get a wifelet for Blue (frenchie x) and because of his size I wasn't really looking for a small bun. When I saw Ollie on RIN and J agreed to let me have her I was more than happy to go to essex and back 2 weekends running to get her. I did try my local rescues first though, but no-one had what I was looking for.

That's not really the same as what I've seen though, you were after a particular bun for the practicality of it. What I meant is that it's a bit like me, because I happen to like black Nethies, spotting one needing rehoming down in Devon and deciding *solely* on the fact it's a black Nethie that I want it, regardless of whether I was in the market for a new bunster or not, and whether I'd have to travel miles or even appeal for a bunny run to get it to me.
Yes, sometimes people can be a bit shallow about wanting a pet to be a certain breed or colour, and I can understand it to some degree because at the end of the day, we usually get pets for our own benefit, and we have them quite a long time (providing they fulfill their lifespan) if they're something like a rabbit so it's important that we 'click' with them, but I don't get how someone can be so keen to get a animal when they've only heard what breed it is - when looking for a new dog, I wanted it to be a purebred German Shepherd, and I had a preference for a 3-4 year old longcoated black and tan one, but I actually ended up enquiring about an 8 year old shortcoated, white GSD cross (who'd been in rescue over a year, poor boy) :lol: Unfortunately, the rescue wanted him to go a bit more local (I was a two hour drive but he was considered a 'problem dog' and they wanted him closer to their behaviourists) so I was looking again, and somehow still ended up with a white GSD despite not really being too keen on the colouring :lol:

Both of my bunnies were basically a case of getting what I was given. Frank wasn't even supposed to be stopping as he was rescued from a bad situation. Yeah - htat lasted all of about 5 minutes. :lol: Dulcie was just in the right place at the right time when I decided Frank needed a companion - she'd just come into rescue and hadn't yet been paired up. I'm sure I would have been just as happy with the Dutch female we talked about trying before I was homechecked and I would have happily walked out with any of the rabbits in rescue right then if she'd been the right one for Frank.

All my future bunnies will be chosen like that, though I do have a soft spot for Nethies.

The only bun I have ever chosen was when I was 5. Since then it has been those that needed homes. I do really like dutch rabbits but my favourite is the wild bunny look and def uppy ears!

Having just read the poll properly I have to say that normal but not boring bunnies! :lol:

Last edited:
I tend to go through phases. I had a harlequin dwarf lop phase, (& have 2 plus one bridge bun), an english spot X lionhead phase (& have 3 - & I also have several other lionheads) Most of my early buns were ones I fell in love with based on looks - not breed or personality - I joined RU, cos I wanted Alfie off of Jill:lol:

I'm a lot less looks - orientated than I used to be. I love REWs now, but that's based on the personality of my first REW.

I've never been big on nethies, but they are growing on me cos I have 2 plus a foster now.

I'm still a bit partial to English spots, & I'd love an all-black bun. I miss having a frenchie, but they get snapped up & don't need me:lol:. I'd like another rex at some point. But I honestly I only want hard-to-homers now. I love aggressive buns - not so much for the challenge, just cos they are so unwanted. :love:

I actually got asked to "choose a colour" in the petshop and choose black because i hadnt seen a black bunny before!
All my buns are pretty average, but there all special to me in there own little ways.
I love Phoebe (english lop?)because hes so black,sleek and shiney and just the most charming bunny, if he were a human, he'd be a tart! :roll::lol:
I love Holli (mixed breed) because my rainbow bridge bunny is her Mummy, and because i seen her grow up from being a tiny baby kit into a full grown Holli! :D
I love Fletcher (very large lionhead) because im his 4th home, and its a shame, such a handsome bunny has been passed from pillar to post through no fault of his own. He has no personality faults, and is very much the perfect gentleman bunny!
I love Ella (rew) because she had such a bad start in life. She was going to be snake food then she got rescued and sent to the most god awful home then was going to be let out for the giant eagle owl to get her, and now it really makes my heart melt that shes all settled and happy with her little bunny family.
I think its all about the personality of the buns.
My lot are your every day bunnys to the onlooker, but the most special,gorgeous and precious bunnys in the world to me!

That's not really the same as what I've seen though, you were after a particular bun for the practicality of it. What I meant is that it's a bit like me, because I happen to like black Nethies, spotting one needing rehoming down in Devon and deciding *solely* on the fact it's a black Nethie that I want it, regardless of whether I was in the market for a new bunster or not, and whether I'd have to travel miles or even appeal for a bunny run to get it to me.
Yes, sometimes people can be a bit shallow about wanting a pet to be a certain breed or colour, and I can understand it to some degree because at the end of the day, we usually get pets for our own benefit, and we have them quite a long time (providing they fulfill their lifespan) if they're something like a rabbit so it's important that we 'click' with them, but I don't get how someone can be so keen to get a animal when they've only heard what breed it is - when looking for a new dog, I wanted it to be a purebred German Shepherd, and I had a preference for a 3-4 year old longcoated black and tan one, but I actually ended up enquiring about an 8 year old shortcoated, white GSD cross (who'd been in rescue over a year, poor boy) :lol: Unfortunately, the rescue wanted him to go a bit more local (I was a two hour drive but he was considered a 'problem dog' and they wanted him closer to their behaviourists) so I was looking again, and somehow still ended up with a white GSD despite not really being too keen on the colouring :lol:

Fair enough! I do have a soft spot for lops....but I think thats cause I've only really had lops. I would love an english lop :oops: ....my aunt had one YEARS ago, and it was so friendly!
Like I said though.....If a bun needed me I'd be there. no matter what breed, age or colour. (Although I would be worried about smaller buns...I'm just too clumsy :oops: )

Back