• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where would you rate a rabbit's intelligence?

mikek

Warren Veteran
this has puzzled me for 15 years
they just seem pretty dumb a lot of the time but occasionally do something surprisingly clever.

below a rat but above a duck?
less than a squirrel but more than a chicken?

i definitely think they have a mean streak, which must show some intelligence ?? and their cuteness makes up for any meanness which is perhaps part of their plan

the reason i wonder is that twice today Pepper has escaped from the shed into the garden & i have no idea how he has done it. the door is open but he is in a segregated area of the shed as it's Tulip's garden time rn & they are likely to fight if out together.

Last edited:
they just seem pretty dumb a lot of the time but occasionally do something surprisingly clever.

less than a crow but more than a chicken?

i definitely think they have a mean streak, which must show some intelligence ?? and their cuteness makes up for any meanness which is perhaps part of their plan
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

What a thread [emoji38]

I'ma have to consider my answer, I'll be back

I think it depends a lot on the bunny. Some I’ve had have been cleverer than others.

the reason i wonder is that twice today Pepper has escaped from the shed into the garden & i have no idea how he has done it. the door is open but he is in a segregated area of the shed as it's Tulip's garden time rn & they are likely to fight if out together.

I do think that it will vary from one rabbit to another. However, I would say below a rat, no idea about a duck or a squirrel. Probably less than a chicken and most definitely a long way below a crow.

To determine the answer, one must have a comparison to measure and grade intelligence. I guess we humans assume we are the apex of evolution. We invent, create, develop and then there’s the bad stuff - we destroy and we are the only evolved species to have the power to destroy our only existence (and we’re doing it every day). So, I would be tempted to put us below rabbits and all the other species because we’re not really selling ourselves as a species.
I would rate bunnies high but basing it on simpler factors. They create their own residence. They don’t ‘work’ but they form friendships on a similar way to us. Not every rabbit gets along, not every human does. They interact and create communities without uttering a single sound. They sense danger and can also translate danger from listening to other animals like birds etc.
So I’d put them high up. Just my own view.

To determine the answer, one must have a comparison to measure and grade intelligence. I guess we humans assume we are the apex of evolution. We invent, create, develop and then there’s the bad stuff - we destroy and we are the only evolved species to have the power to destroy our only existence (and we’re doing it every day). So, I would be tempted to put us below rabbits and all the other species because we’re not really selling ourselves as a species.
I would rate bunnies high but basing it on simpler factors. They create their own residence. They don’t ‘work’ but they form friendships on a similar way to us. Not every rabbit gets along, not every human does. They interact and create communities without uttering a single sound. They sense danger and can also translate danger from listening to other animals like birds etc.

well put.
so high, but a 'different' intelligence? makes sense :)

Oww brilliant! 8)8)8)8)

Primrose was smart and so quick! I'd almost say puppy intelligence but cat stubbornness. She regularly escaped with us having no idea how and we'd often find her flopped somewhere on the path to breakfast in a cheeky manner.

Rodney erm, Rodders is our little griffendork he likes someone to show him the way, but he knows all the routines and is very good with patterns. Just takes him a few repeats to learn what to expect. He once boosted himself out of the cage somehow and landed on the radiator beside but then had no clue what to do and waited for rescue!

Flopsy was similar but dumb as a post bless him, took him ages to learn anything although he was my only lop eared bun and I do wonder if maybe it was because I train to sounds and they just weren't as clear to him.

Blossom seems imbetween, she does pick on things and she's good with sound cues but no words yet unlike the other two. She has the worst litter habits of any bun we've had and is also the most hyper. I reckon she might do better once she calms a bit as she gets older maybe.

But for all of them I'd definitely say puppy/kitten intelligence.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I agree with Craig, really well written. I definitely think rabbits are intelligent animals!

IME it depends on the individual Rabbit. Some are far more intelligent than others. For example John-Joe is super intelligent, far too intelligent in fact !! Where-as Lord H is somewhat cerebrally challenged, bless him :love:

He figured out a way to get out, and you cannot figure out what he did-what was your question again?:lol:

As with humans, IMO bunnies are very smart.
How high is partition? Can he climb on anything,litterbox?

i agree that it depends on the rabbit.
.... and i take back the bit about a mean streak. i was maybe thinking about Tulip.

I always thought Treacle was a clever and observant little bunny. She used to watch me sometimes and seemed to know what I was thinking. On more than one occasion, she would be asleep under the coffee table, but would get up hop over and bump my leg, then go back and settle down again. It was always when I was feeling stressed. Again, if it was meds time, she seemed to read my mind even before I'd got out of the chair, and would go and hide in her little house. I miss all that :(
I think animals are like humans, all different, but I do think bunnies are amazing :D

I really like what Craig said. :) I also think that, well, 'intelligence' is basically defined by what humans are good at, so when you apply it to non-human animals they're always going to come up short. Non-human animals have talents that we humans don't have, like birds' excellent sense of direction, or bats' use of echolocation, but we don't consider that intelligence, but rather see it as instinct, as if the animals have no conscious control over how to use these skills and therefore don't 'count'. That said, I agree with those who said it depends a lot on the bunny. I imagine that just like humans, there are very smart bunnies and not so smart bunnies. For example, Sophie is better at puzzles than Casper is. When I give them one of those puzzles where they have to lift a cup thingie to get to the treat, Casper will pick up the cup thingie and run away with it, thinking the treat is in there. He's finally learning now, after years, that the treat is in the hole he pulled the cup thingie out of. Sophie has understood this from the start. But Casper is very good at learning routines and making associations. When it's time for breakfast and I've gotten distracted he'll come remind me that it's time, and the second I pull a brush out of the drawer he's gone, knowing what's about to happen. Sophie just lets everything happen whenever it happens, though that's probably also just her being very relaxed instead of her not understanding things.

Joey is not the brightest. I can't work out Boobly, I think she is above the construct of intelligence myself :lol: I've been touched by how Mouse is able to communicate with us what she needs now she isn't 'independent'- I think thats really clever behaviour. Yesterday she sploofed right by me (unusual) & I'm pretty damn sure it was to show me the ceco splat on her foot

I can't work out Boobly, I think she is above the construct of intelligence myself :lol:
Totally agree! And Mouse :love:

Being purely herbivorous prey animals, they arguably 'need' less intelligence than anything that hunts, so many birds (not much waterfowl though), anything omnivorous like pigs or bears, and they are sociable so we should compare them with stuff like that, ground squirrels, (wild?) horses, wildebeest... Being kept in confinement (domesticated) would affect some of the measures, as they might need to worry less about predators or the like, althoug I expect this would be on an individual basis more than a broad generalisation.

Wild rabbits I would think fall into the smart enough to not run from a predator at first sight, like wildebeest, rather than panicked creatures. I've seen them satanding near enough to the edges of undergrowth in the meadow, watching a buzzard and/or a fox. But if they can't see it, they either go and hide or come out and watch. Some of the adult rabbits around here have clocked that humans aren't a threat, especially on the Uni campus, but will slink off as soon as they perceive a dog.

Aboleth definitely fitted average wild rabbit intelligence. She was smart enough to go and get Lopsy when there was food she wouldn't get without then both being there, she tried to make friends with friendly cats, but not with stalky cats, and she wasn't as fussed by canal boats as Lopsy. But she hated helicopters as much, and low flying planes, because those noises were quite sudden and there's not much time to see them and assess. She hated people being up high but we put this down to only having one eye :) That was her only major weirdness in that sense.

Lopsy is stupid. He's mostly deaf, which doesn't help, but he and Aboleth were exposed to windowsill = pellets at the same time and she picked it up whereas he sometimes just forgets, gets distracted etc. He's lived next to a canal for the past nearly 7 years but still can't deal with some of the boat noises (we think he can hear deep sounds). He panics a lot, but I think that might be deafness. He falls off things because he's not as aware of his surroundings (i.e. foot placement on things while mouth is eating).

Chibbs isn't great either. She falls off things too, like she failed to judge the distance but she can see fine (I've checked!), and she isn't as fussed by food so the pellet thing doesn't work on her as much. Thankfully she won't stay in one area for long if people are about and it's not sleep time so you can almost guarantee she'll come to where you want her in about 10mins. She's very curious but hasn't cottoned on that the carrier means bad things :lol: I am grateful for this XD

Some evening s when we've spent 15mins trying to get them to the pellet windowsill we do have a 'oh god we miss you Aboleth' moment :lol:

Joey is not the brightest. I can't work out Boobly, I think she is above the construct of intelligence myself :lol: I've been touched by how Mouse is able to communicate with us what she needs now she isn't 'independent'- I think thats really clever behaviour. Yesterday she sploofed right by me (unusual) & I'm pretty damn sure it was to show me the ceco splat on her foot
Clever Mousey. :love:

i agree that it depends on the rabbit.
.... and i take back the bit about a mean streak. i was maybe thinking about Tulip.

My Zorro who had dozens of bite marks from another bunny at the pet store agrees some bunnies are maan, yet he and his sister, Amber, are kind and lovable.

Back