• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to start with bonding?

Jess2107

Warren Scout
Want to bond my Mr binks with the female I adopted a few weeks ago. I have never done it before so I don't have a clue where to start.. they saw each other last week when binky hopped over to her cage and she wasn't too impressed and tried to box his head in! I adopted her from the pets at home adoption centre and was told she didn't get on with the other female bunny in the home.. she came to me covered in scabby bite marks bless her but this now makes me very weary of putting them together. Binky is very friendly so he doesn't worry me, it's just her that does :|

First thing. .get both buns neutered/spayed and wait 6 weeks after operations. If she is not spayed she will probably be very territorial and will not want another bun in her space.
A female/male bond is the easiest. ..and just because she fought with the other female doesn't mean she cannot be bonded.
Most people seem to favour the neutral space method. Keep a space in your house completely free of the buns and use that for bonding. Start with a very small space when they are put together first. There will likely be humping and chasing and/or ignoring but only interfere if they really start fighting. .a pair of gardening gloves is quite important😊
As they settle down over the next couple of days..slowly expand the area. Usually takes a good few days to be properly bonded. .so make sure you've the time for this as you won't be able to leave them alone for the first couple of days at least.
It is really stressful for buns and humans bit so incredibly worthwhile. .I'm so pleased Mr Binky will have a bun wife soon.

[emoji2] [emoji171]

First thing. .get both buns neutered/spayed and wait 6 weeks after operations. If she is not spayed she will probably be very territorial and will not want another bun in her space.
A female/male bond is the easiest. ..and just because she fought with the other female doesn't mean she cannot be bonded.
Most people seem to favour the neutral space method. Keep a space in your house completely free of the buns and use that for bonding. Start with a very small space when they are put together first. There will likely be humping and chasing and/or ignoring but only interfere if they really start fighting. .a pair of gardening gloves is quite important😊
As they settle down over the next couple of days..slowly expand the area. Usually takes a good few days to be properly bonded. .so make sure you've the time for this as you won't be able to leave them alone for the first couple of days at least.
It is really stressful for buns and humans bit so incredibly worthwhile. .I'm so pleased Mr Binky will have a bun wife soon.

[emoji2] [emoji171]

Shes already spayed by the previous owner and binky was neutered nearly 3 weeks ago.
I put them both in a cat carrier together tonight while I hoovered up to see how they both got on, then I watched them. There was lots of humping by binky.. is it too early to put them both in the empty bath tub? (Was recommended by a friend) Or would you try them in the laundry basket? Or keep them in the carrier for abit? X

So we've progressed from the carrier to the wash basket to the bath and now they run around the bathroom floor together. . Binky keeps humping her, she used to hump him back but now she's stopped.. When he attempts to do it she spins around to stop him then after a couple of seconds he gives up and she happily follows him around.. my next question is how long should I have them together for at each time? The longest theyv been together is an hour. Iv not experienced them grooming one another yet either.

First things first - it takes about 6 weeks for a buck's hormones to settle after neutering and so I wouldn't make any attempt at bonding until at least 6-8 weeks. If you push things before that you risk spoiling any chance of bonding.

First things first - it takes about 6 weeks for a buck's hormones to settle after neutering and so I wouldn't make any attempt at bonding until at least 6-8 weeks. If you push things before that you risk spoiling any chance of bonding.

Oh.. :( I was told I could bond them

Last edited:
A lot of male rabbits aren't very hormonal, if this is the case you can start with the bonding now. Have you got a pen or something similar where they can both live for a week or so and where you will hear them if they fall out overnight. In a few days time you will know more or less how the bonding is going. He might chase the girl at first but this is normal. So, as long as they don't fight, just keep going and you should soon have 2 happily bonded bunnies.

Back