• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do i start when it comes to setting up as a rescue, sanctuary, charity?

Ambience, i just want to wish you loads of luck with this venture :wave:
We do need more people looking after animals in need, and i think its great that you want to go into it :D

dont lose heart, im sure people are just trying to help u out with the practicalities. Im sure not everyone who starts a rescue is an expert on everything right from tge beginning ;)

So good luck xxxxxxxx

I'm sorry you feel that way and suspect that, at least in part, your previous post is aimed at my comments.

First, yes I may have initially ventured some thoughts which you took well, and in fact asked me directly what areas you thought needed brushing up on, so based on what you had previously posted on the forum, I gave you some pointers. So please don't now accuse me of answering questions that you did not ask, because you did directly ask for further clarification on those things.

And if you'll notice, aside from the areas where you have made direct posts which I have commented on, I have merely asked questions - "do you know how to..." I have not said that you don't, I have merely raised that these are also practical things you need to consider in deciding to set up a rescue. I don't see how it is unfair to judge someone (if indeed raising queries constitutes judging) on previous posts if they are recent. If they are 3 years ago, fine, but they're not so they do seem relevant to the level of knowledge and attitude :?

I genuinely wish you good luck and hope you do a really good job to promote and support rabbit welfare. But I also genuinely hope that you can read through your defensiveness (which may be perfectly justified, I have no idea) and see what areas you may need to brush up on. It may not be rocket science to look after animals, but given that according to the RSPCA rabbits are the UKs third most popular pet and yet the most neglected, it can't be quite as easy as everyone thinks.

I don't think it was aimed at you Santa. I did appreciate all your pointers. I was just overwhelmed with the continuous negative responses thereafter. As you can see below there are plenty of comments that would be considered as judging my charactor rather than just giving practicle advice on setting up a rescue, which is what i'd asked for. I'm sure i do need to brush up on things, which is why i'm happy to post and ask for advice and i do appreciate it when it's given. It's just in the context of this question i was abit miffed with all the negativity surrounding the question.

I don't think it's because people don't know at all , i think it's because rabbits are hard work. When i look at how much work goes into my rabbits -it is 10 times that of my cats or other animals. I've cared for all kinds of animals and rabbits come on my high maintenance list.

They are one of the most difficult animals to keep properly, because they require constant attention, observation, nurturing, unlike an independant cat or quite hardy dog.

Rabbits are more aligned with horses digestion wise- they also take the same amount of care if not more. They end up costing as much too if you have any number of them.

So i can see because of breeding prolifically as rabbits do, why they would be the most neglected- not because people don't know, but because they are working- don't have time, don't have the money- don't give that time- because like horses- it's all weather work- in rain , snow etc and unpleasant to be out in those conditions.

Cats are in the house and go out as and when. Dogs can be quite easy maintenance also if you have any amount of land. They don't require quite the same observation and protection as a rabbit does and alot of society regards dogs and cats in a different light to rabbits- despite being the third most popular animal. I'm not sure that is as much by choice as by accident.

Ambience xx

Ambience, i just want to wish you loads of luck with this venture :wave:
We do need more people looking after animals in need, and i think its great that you want to go into it :D

dont lose heart, im sure people are just trying to help u out with the practicalities. Im sure not everyone who starts a rescue is an expert on everything right from tge beginning ;)

So good luck xxxxxxxx

Thanks Gemma- i really believe that doing and making mistakes leads to expertise. As it has been quoted- "an expert is someone who has made every mistake in thier field of expertise".

As you say -most rescues probably didn't start out experts in the beginning.

Thanks every so much for your support on this xx

Ambience xx

P.s caring for animals isn't rocket science.

Ambience xx

I actually think rocket science would be a lot easier than running a rescue :lol:

I haven't read all the posts now as they are far too long :oops: I do think people would love to see another good rescue set up as they are desperately needed. However I also think we have all also seen lots of people start off with good intentions and end up in an awful muddle and probably make some situations worse. I am in no way saying this will happen to you, but I think people tend to point out the negatives in these situations to make sure people really know what they are taking on and if they are determined enough to carry on and succeed then brilliant :) Trust me you will come across a far worse comments when you start dealing with the public. I am sure the comments on here however negative are meant to be constructive and helpful :):)

Thanks Gemma- i really believe that doing and making mistakes leads to expertise. As it has been quoted- "an expert is someone who has made every mistake in thier field of expertise".

As you say -most rescues probably didn't start out experts in the beginning.

Thanks every so much for your support on this xx

Ambience xx

Ur welcome :wave: I could c u getting downhearted from peoples comments (even though im sure they're just offering practical advise) and IMO anyone who wants to help animals should be encouragex and commended. You certainly dont sound like ur clueless atall to me, and like you said the best way to learn is through experience :D

I think its great that you feel motivated, passionate and committed to getting yourself set up as a rescue. I think that, above all, is what it probably takes to get started - and to keep going when things get tough.

I think when people feel passionate about doing something, a reality check can be helpful and I think thats what most people who have replied are trying to do - to help you stop and think about all the practicalities - including the emotional side of things, your boundaries, and management of the rescue (aside from the financial aspet) are what people are trying to help with.

From my own point of view, I havent run a rescue, I havent even helped out with one - which is why I think it is commendable that you want to do it and I want to wish you every good luck with it.

But from the work that I do with disadvantaged and vulnerable people I know that you have to look after yourself and be clear about what you can achieve and what you cant and set very clear boundaries for what you will do in a given situation and where you will draw the line. This is to protect yourself so that you can continue to give the best care to those that you are already committed to - and so you dont get burnt out.

I havent read every single post - so forgive me if I have missed a bit - but I dont think people are necessarily trying to put you down - more playing devil's advocate about the whole situation to make sure you have thought everything through and dont get yourself in a big mess later on. Because that would be tragic for you and the animals. No-one is saying that will happen, I am sure you would do everything to prevent it, but it is easy to overstretch and be overambitious. But it could happen, and so thats why people are taking the time to help you be sure you can do this, and have the best preparation possible.

Do you think there are more things you need to learn about or think about before you proceed?

Have you written out your policies, rules, forms, checklists etc?

What measures will you put in place to look after yourself and ensure you dont get burnt out?

I think it is such a huge commitment and I do think that you need serious thought before proceeding about every angle in serious depth - not just ideal reactions based on your own ideologies. Because your 'ideal' scenario and the reality are bound to be different. In the 6 years I have been doing my job, my ideals have continually been challenged. Its a cliche, but be prepared to expect the unexpected.

We are here if you want to carry on running things by us, no-one wants you to feel you have to go it alone. :wave:

Thanks and no i haven't written any policies rules forms or checklists- this is a great thing for me to get started on and the kind of advice i do really think is valuable. What forms to write etc?

I've done numerous jobs and businesses in the last 26 years and have experienced quite alot. Having owned my own home at 23, lost it, got a new home, started my own business, lost it, started a business again- i know how things can go pear shaped even with the best of intentions, but i wouldn't trade some of the things i've learnt for the world- even the very tough time like when the baliffs came and took my home. I've handled a hell of alot of emotional turmoil, both with animals - from my earliest rabbits watching them die of mxyi etc to the meltdown of my financial situation and home life.

It's not all bad though- I've also succeeded when i've succeeded, and on a relatively large scale to what i've failed. So i'm fully aware of the realities of any given situation and analysing all angles. Most of all i'm not afraid to throw myself into something i'm passionate about and do the right thing even if my world collapses, because life is about living, not just holding out on your dreams because you don't think you should take the chance.

I love animals and i love business and until now i've been afraid to combine the two as i don't want to profit from animals. However i have every faith i'll be able to pull of the marketing aspect of running a rescue as this was my employed area of expertise before i started working for myself. I think the fundraising aspect should be fairly easy for me as i'm good at talking to people on the phone and have successfully handled many face to face meetings.

I really want to start right now. Now that is not obviously just saying oh i'm a rescue today---....it's the groundwork- as you say the literature and considerations etc...

So far i've started on a website that will have pictures of the setups and the rescue animals available for adoption. I will start doing the literature this week - i.e fact sheets for rehoming, I will also register as a limited company with my new name and domain name.

My boyfriend is a good help,but i can cope on my own- just as long as i grow organically- i'd never take on more than i can handle now that i know how much that is, not only based on my experience with rabbits, but life experience too.

I'd really appreciate a checklist of practicle things i need to do immediately to get the rescue setup underway.
Thanks
Ambience xxx

We have around 37 at the moment. We decided we needed to reduce numbers for a while to try to reduce our vet bill and take a bit of a break but it hasn't made any difference to our monthly bills. We went from 41 buns to 35 over a couple of months and our vet bill still went up, so it doesn;t necessarily relate to the number of animals you have

Thanks

I'm only going to be taking in a couple initially- i'm not opening my doors as a rescue, but doing it very low key to start with.

Ambience xx

One thing you can do now before you even begin to take in animals is create some educational information. When people enquire here, I give them my leaflets about rabbit care, because for many, they have no clue and find it hard to get good information elsewhere.

By researching the leaflets, you will also learn a lot that maybe you don't already know yourself. By being able to send this to people electronically you will save time and energy. Each enquiry can takes hours from the beginning to the end/adoption so anything you can do to get people learning for themselves before they adopt from you has to be a bonus.

As for rehoming criteria, I am sure you know that there is a lot more to it that just hutch sizes - things like, ensuring that they new owners have a good rabbit vet, that they make suitable provision for when they go on holidays - (so many don't even think about this), that they feed a good quality hay and suitable food and understand why it's so important, that they can commit financially (yes you do need to know this so it's a difficult subject to broach and often seen as being impertinent), that the people have totally bunny proofed their gardens if they intend to free range supervised. So many people have no idea of what plants are dangerous and what constitutes a hazard in the garden (pond's, wells, sharp nails, places to get stuck). The list goes on.....

Be warned, if you advertise where you are, you WILL have rabbits dumped on your doorstep. People are cowards when they give up their animals which is why so many are dumped in the woods or left in a cardboard box under cover of darkness - you won't be able to control how many arrive at one go, and you could end up going from a couple of buns to 20 odd overnight - often mums and babies being dumped and mum being preggie again. And this could happen time and time again. I would not advertise where you are going to be unless you are prepared to put up security cameras to catch people doing this.

I do not advertise (apart from having our bunnies on RR) and I take on average about 3-4 calls a day. This might not seem many, but it takes an awful lot of time. And, if you don't get back to people quickly, they won't all understand that you are a busy person.

I'd make sure you decide how many rabbits you will help at one time, and stick to it, keeping an emergency only accommodation just in case you do get a stray or rabbits dumped.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thankyou that seems like a good first place to start, i'll get onto designing and creating some leaflets asap.

Yes i think a checklist would be good to be able to check off if potential homes /owners are suitable- and advice is covered etc.

I definately won't be putting my address anywhere until i have the room to take all the dumped animals. I'm shortly likely to be getting some land in relation to this project so with any luck, i'll be able to actually have accomadation open to the public at some point- but that is a long way off yet.

One of my questions would be- where do you actually get the rabbits in for rescuing if you don't have any advertising etc?

Thanks
Ambience xx

Thankyou that seems like a good first place to start, i'll get onto designing and creating some leaflets asap.

Yes i think a checklist would be good to be able to check off if potential homes /owners are suitable- and advice is covered etc.

I definately won't be putting my address anywhere until i have the room to take all the dumped animals. I'm shortly likely to be getting some land in relation to this project so with any luck, i'll be able to actually have accomadation open to the public at some point- but that is a long way off yet.

One of my questions would be- where do you actually get the rabbits in for rescuing if you don't have any advertising etc?

Thanks
Ambience xx

Don't worry, people find you.

Ours come from people who know I have bunnies and tell me about ones that need help, our vets pass my number to clients who need help (not just giving bunnies up, but bonding, dietary, boarding, and adoption). Also, people who have been referred by others who have used us before. And of course we take any strays at the vets or rabbits who have been taken to be put to sleep, where the client doesn't want them any more and the vet refuses to do so as health doesn't require it. He will get them to sign it over the the vets and we take them from the vets.

Thanks and no i haven't written any policies rules forms or checklists- this is a great thing for me to get started on and the kind of advice i do really think is valuable. What forms to write etc?

I've done numerous jobs and businesses in the last 26 years and have experienced quite alot. Having owned my own home at 23, lost it, got a new home, started my own business, lost it, started a business again- i know how things can go pear shaped even with the best of intentions, but i wouldn't trade some of the things i've learnt for the world- even the very tough time like when the baliffs came and took my home. I've handled a hell of alot of emotional turmoil, both with animals - from my earliest rabbits watching them die of mxyi etc to the meltdown of my financial situation and home life.

It's not all bad though- I've also succeeded when i've succeeded, and on a relatively large scale to what i've failed. So i'm fully aware of the realities of any given situation and analysing all angles. Most of all i'm not afraid to throw myself into something i'm passionate about and do the right thing even if my world collapses, because life is about living, not just holding out on your dreams because you don't think you should take the chance.

I love animals and i love business and until now i've been afraid to combine the two as i don't want to profit from animals. However i have every faith i'll be able to pull of the marketing aspect of running a rescue as this was my employed area of expertise before i started working for myself. I think the fundraising aspect should be fairly easy for me as i'm good at talking to people on the phone and have successfully handled many face to face meetings.

I really want to start right now. Now that is not obviously just saying oh i'm a rescue today---....it's the groundwork- as you say the literature and considerations etc...

So far i've started on a website that will have pictures of the setups and the rescue animals available for adoption. I will start doing the literature this week - i.e fact sheets for rehoming, I will also register as a limited company with my new name and domain name.

My boyfriend is a good help,but i can cope on my own- just as long as i grow organically- i'd never take on more than i can handle now that i know how much that is, not only based on my experience with rabbits, but life experience too.

I'd really appreciate a checklist of practicle things i need to do immediately to get the rescue setup underway.
Thanks
Ambience xxx

You sound very resilient, very passionate, enthusiastic and committed. I wasnt asking to 'test' you or to ask you to justify yourself by the way :) Just saying that I think that, if anything, the emotional aspect might be as big a consideration as the practicalities and finances :)

I know from my own experience that its easy to overcommit and want to help everyone and everything, so you have to learn to look after yourself when times are hard or sad or just getting too much.

Still it is better to do something than nothing at all. I like your sentence "life is about living, not just holding out on your dreams because you don't think you should take the chance". Just make sure you know where your limits are thats all. I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Good luck with it all :wave: keep us updated how its all going as well, if you can.

If you are rescuing from home you need to be aware neighbours WILL complain and make life difficult and in some places you need planning permission as then you pay more council tax.
As for being avail 24 hr a day believe me after 3 months you will soon get fed up I now only use a mobile and it is turned off at 6pm
You will get people knocking on your door all hours of day and night and the dumping is a major issue.
People will take rabbits and then come back and want money for vet bills so you deff need something in your paperwork
You need a understanding vet if not your vet bills will be massive,
I only ever used to have 15-20 rabbits in and now as people know I am here with unrehomable and difficult rabbits/dumping I now have 60 in. You will get up in a morning and find rabbits this happens once people know where you are and you will find other animals are dumped if you are not careful.
If I had known what I know now I would never have gone into rescue as it is a totally thankless/hassle 99% of the time

I already have rabbits running about my garden 24/7 and the neighbours are very good about it as they eat the dandelions which blow over into their gardens, (before i put the rabbits there). I don't think they have a problem with bunnys. My neighbour commented that my rabbits are better looked after than she is. So i think they are quite reasonable. I wouldn't advertise or make it know i am a rescue here.

However i would need permission from my landlord- this is fine as this is my step mum's husband so that is not something i need to worry about. I was also thinking about renting stables and land which isn't all that expensive per month and agreeing with the new landlord to run a rescue from it under contract of course. So there are a few options.

If i am running a rescue- do i need to inform the council immediately? What details do i need to give them. How much are rates likely to be for running a rescue from home?

What makes you continue with it if it's so much hassle 90% of the time and not do something else?

Thankyou
Ambience xxxx

PS what I suggested about policies, forms, protocols, checklists etc are to help you stay boundaried, to set standards, to keep prioritised and organised. I am sure you know that already, and I am not suggesting how you need to do it or that you need to stick to every letter in every single case - I think you may need to take things on a case-by-case basis...but at least it gives you a baseline and something to refer back to if you need to rethink your commitments etc.

Hope that makes sense, probably doesnt!!

ETA: I wouldnt presume to know what it takes to run a rescue by the way - in case I have implied that in any way. I can only go on my positive experiences of adopting, the similarities with my work, and my imagination!

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is if you are renting you may be in breach of contract, what happens if boyfriend is no longer around to assist?

Breach of contract- is that in relation to the premise. My step mum's partner owns it. I would be as i can't run a business from here. I will get that amended. I'm don't rely on my boyfriend for my financial wellbeing. He has just said he would help if i ever needed it. We have been together for over 10years so i'd say our relationship is pretty stable.

I keep the books for our rescuing effort here. All incoming funds whether from donations for adoptions or other are recorded and so are the payments out for the upkeep and care of the rabbits. I don't need to be a charity to be able to do that but am liable to for tax on any 'profit' from what is considered a business, of which of course there is absolutely none as I have to top up the costs of operating with my own salary every month.

Many, many people rescue without being a registered charity. You can be a voluntary organisation but it depends on what you want to do with your set up. I don't want to be a charity currently. There is no need for me to be.

Is your company just a limited company then that runs a rescue as it stands? Do you have a job aswell as the rescue? I'm planning to continue my legal consultancy to support my rescue work also for additional funds.

Thanks,
Ambience xx

:wave: It's great that you have answers to all these questions, but there is really so much more detail to it than simply 'I'll manage'. For instance:

how will you cope with rabbits dumped on your doorstep- i will take them in: of course you will...if they are dumped on your doorstep you will have no choice. But where will you put them if you are full? Will you have emergency accommodation available that you can be absolutely assured that you won't be tempted to use at other times just because it is there? Will you have created yourself a network of trusted, homechecked fosterers that you can call on for emergency accommodation if you need to? Can you confidently sex adult and baby rabbits, so you know that you can separate babies correctly if they are dumped on you? How do you and your vet feel about emergency spaying if you are full and have probably pregnant rabbits dumped on you etc.

how will you deal with infection control- a quarantine building: what does this mean exactly? How will you deal with infection control between the units in there? How long will animals stay in there? When will they get moved? Will they get exercise during that time? How and where? What disinfectant products will you use? Do you understand e.cuniculi and coccidiosis and how you can minimise the chances of it spreading through your accommodation and runs? Would you recognise the symptoms quickly enough? If you had a suspected outbreak of cocci what steps would you take immediately to stop it spreading?

how will you do all of the bondings for all of the single bunnies you rehome- I will do this myself- as i've done my own bondings: but is that really going to be practical if you rehome nationwide? Would you allow a bun to go to a new owner for bonding? What would you do if the bonding didn't work? Would you insist on taking the rabbit back if the owner wanted to keep it as a single anyway? How would you enforce this?

how will you cope if someone who adopted a rabbit from you needs to return it - I will make sure i have space and take in a rabbit if they need to return. My main focus will be on getting as much land sorted out as possible so that i can take in any quantity of animals: How will you 'make sure' you have the space? What happens if someone rings you the day after 20 have been dumped on your doorstep? As I said in an earlier post, taking in 'any quantity of animals' rings alarm bells of animal hoarding not of responsible rescuing. Any responsible rescuer knows their limits (and indeed their species) and sticks to them, even if it means having to take heartbreaking decisions to say 'no' on a regular basis. Size of your land should not be the limiting factor in how many animals you take in - it should be how many you can properly care for. You've already said on other threads that you sometimes just want a day off from your animals and how do people cope when they're ill - if you are thinking these things with the 14 rabbits you own at the moment then I really think you're a long, long way from being able to responsibly look after the vast numbers you seem to be envisioning.

As others have said, I'm also a little concerned that you are very focused on the financial and promotional side. Animal rescuing is all about the needs and care of the animals, and it worries me somewhat that you're so heavily focused on thinking about logos and publicity, rather than on how you're going to prevent a coccidiosis outbreak from killing all the rabbits in your care, for instance. You can have the best promotion in the world, but it doesn't help the animals if they come secondary to the attempts to fundraise and rehome them.

Again, I don't say these things to sound negative, I say them because I don't think you've thought the whole thing (not just the promotional and fundraising side) through in anything like enough detail at the moment.

Thanks Santa- everything you have said is something that i will take into consideration. I'm only planning to start really small and non public.I just want to get setup, literally then make the next move from there. So that is following all the advice you and others have given and elabourating on my answers to the questions you have asked, by doing my research etc.

Ambience xx

I already have rabbits running about my garden 24/7 and the neighbours are very good about it as they eat the dandelions which blow over into their gardens, (before i put the rabbits there). I don't think they have a problem with bunnys. My neighbour commented that my rabbits are better looked after than she is. So i think they are quite reasonable. I wouldn't advertise or make it know i am a rescue here.

Thankyou
Ambience xxxx

I think some of the problem with neighbours arises with having members of the public coming to your house on a regular basis rather than just the rabbits in the garden. They may feel there are issues with parking associated with this too :? If you are rehoming there is no way you can get around this as people obviously have to come and look at the rabbits available.

Thats one of the reasons we are a sanctuary, it cuts down on people coming to the house a lot. Don;t think i could cope with people always wanting to invade my privacy, even if it is for a good reason :oops:

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Santa here. I think you are rushing in a bit, just a couple of days ago you asked re aftercare of a spayed rabbit, this is pretty basic stuff and something you could potentially be dealing with on a daily basis. I understand your dream is to help I really do, but I really think you would benefit perhaps from fostering or helping out at an established rescue in order to build your knowledge as much as possible.

I'd never had a spayed rabbit and yes it is basic. Just something i had never done. I am sure i can deal with this on a daily basis. Again it is basic- of course- that doesn't mean the vet doesn't give an aftercare sheet with every operation they do. It's something that i should know and now do. If there was anything out of the ordinary that could happen as a responsible rabbit owner i'd like to know about it.

I've already worked for the RSPCA as a volunteer for well in excess of a year. There is nothing there that i learned that i didn't learn from owning over 70 rabbits of my own over the course of my 26 years. Admittedly i've not come across certain things, but i do have a theoretical knowledge on the areas that i haven't had to deal with.

Ambience xx

I think some of the problem with neighbours arises with having members of the public coming to your house on a regular basis rather than just the rabbits in the garden. They may feel there are issues with parking associated with this too :? If you are rehoming there is no way you can get around this as people obviously have to come and look at the rabbits available.

Thats one of the reasons we are a sanctuary, it cuts down on people coming to the house a lot. Don;t think i could cope with people always wanting to invade my privacy, even if it is for a good reason :oops:

Thankyou that makes alot of sense. I wonder if i could start of like this to begin with. Can you still fundraise and run the business in the same manor as if it is a rescue or are there any other things to think about. Do you actually cover your expenses as a sanctuary or is it still difficult and requires additional financing etc. Would it be possible for a sanctuary to become a charity as this is my main aim.I can then maybe expand into rescue once i get bigger.

Ambience xxxxx

I must say i agree with the others. I basically run a rescue - i run our RSPCA branch, voluntary. Its not the money thats the problem, its the time, theres not enough hours in the day, its so tiring and time consuming. I hardly get any time to myself - i was even doing paperwork on my birthday :? You really need to think about it, money isnt the main issue.

I think its excellent what you want to do, but it really does need thinking over. You have to be such a strong person, its not like running a business, its totally different. Its all emotional x

Hi,

yes i am looking after animals 24/7 at the moment now anyway, so it wouldn't be all that much different except increased pressure and more business to do , which i enjoy anyway. I've got some good coping mechanisms now having run a few businesses. I do think that i am strong enough to run a rescue. I've worked for rescues at the local rspca also and seen animals i love destroyed etc, wildlife put in fridges etc- i'm pretty hardy-although i can't say i was when i started at the RSPCA, i found it all abit upsetting when i was younger.

Ambience xxx

Thankyou that makes alot of sense. I wonder if i could start of like this to begin with. Can you still fundraise and run the business in the same manor as if it is a rescue or are there any other things to think about. Do you actually cover your expenses as a sanctuary or is it still difficult and requires additional financing etc. Would it be possible for a sanctuary to become a charity as this is my main aim.I can then maybe expand into rescue once i get bigger.

Ambience xxxxx

It is definately possible to be a charity and a sanctuary. If you take in £5000 per year in donations it is law that you have to apply to become a charity.

I don;t understand the buisness side of it that you keep mentioning. I am not running a buisness, I am aiming to set up a charity :?

No we do not cover expenses with our fundrasing, not by a long shot. I can't emember the figures off the top of my head nut I think it cost around £15,000 to run last year and we didn't even cover half of that with donations/fundraising. This year it will be a lot more.

personally I would decide if you want to be a sanctuary or a rescue, I think it is very hard to have both properly set up. Although obviously rescues end up with rabbits that they can't rehome due to health/ behavioural issues.

Back