• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When taking in/rescuing/buying rabbits

good post, i've been lapse with mine in the past and my own bunny accidently got into the same room as a foster bunny and they sniffed each other through the cage.
Since the whole thing with Myrtle I've been much more wary about strange bunnies and make sure I keep mine vaccinated and well away from other buns.
I love helping other bunnies out but not by putting my own precious buns at risk.

Good post. :D
Usually with any animal that comes in I try to keep it seperate for a couple of weeks, although its not always very easy with the large animals. The first thing I ever do is get them vet checked and if its a cat I get them blood tested for FELV/FIV. If it is an older animal I also get a general blood sample taken. I alway worm, treat for ectoparasites and check teeth. The hard thing is you don't know the animal so you don't know its general behaviour, I think/hope I know my animals enough to be able to tell if something was wrong.
I don't foster anymore but do take in animals with nowhere to go, but there are much less going through my doors and the ones who come here stay.

thats such good advice, i ahve recently taken in a bun who was neglected by his last owner. he is kept well away from my bunnies and im very careful about preventing contamination when i have been near him. i have also taken him to the vets to be vax'd and treated for snuffles, however i realise now that i was too hasty when taking him in as i am too inexperienced and now i feel stupid, definately a lesson to be learned here. thanks for all the advice jill xxx

Last edited:
Back