• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When Billie-Joe met Gertrude

awwwwwwwwww looking good...are you going to increase space?:love::love::love:
:wave: I didn't increase the space but took Helens (The Duchess) advice and removed the litter tray. The reason I thought about a bigger area was to give them room to flop together which they couldn't do with the tray there. As you can see from the photos, it had the desired effect in allowing big bird Gert to flop :love:.

I can understand the rationale in not giving them too much space. Gert is still humping Billie-Joe and he has nowhere to run to so is having to learn to deal with it.

I'm hoping for happy flops together before I move on. Jeez, you need patience for this bonding lark ;)

Good luck when you attempt your bond Jacky (hope that's your name) and please keep us updated - the help and support is invaluable :)

Apparently she's a Blanc de Hotot - a rare French breed. However, I'm going to reclassify her as a Madame de Humpalot :lol:

im hoping its not gonna be too difficult at the moment they only have mesh between them and they flop together at each side of it.....im assuming they are brother and sister as they were in the same box with six others and 2 adults wen i found em on my doorstep so hoping the bond they have already is good lol.but we will see.....sorry for the essay :oops::oops::oops:

No humping since we're back from registering at the Vets Helen and just now, this is what happened.... I had to wake Billie-Joe as I thought he was dead :shock::shock::shock:

gert001-1.jpg

hows it going hun?

:wave: It's going fine. I am going to keep them in this pen for at least another day then move them into a slightly bigger one. Then at least 3-4 days in the bigger one, depending on their behaviour before they move into their 8 foot top floor penthouse suite :)

I really hope she's got fed up with humping him. She has urine stains on one side only underneath and the Vet had a good look at her "lady bits". It appears that her lady bits are disfigured and it looks like an old scar - quite possibly a wound from when she humped another bun prior to ending up in a Rescue. She appears to have a "directional problem" when peeing and this is more than likely because of the damaged lady bits... or "foo-foo" as the Vet so nicely called it ;)

I hope she's learnt her lesson and ceases humping the living daylights out of Billie-Joe. I can't see that he would tolerate it at that volume for much longer

Well tonight they look so comfortable together :love: but i am going to stick with the slowly-slowly timetable to ensure no hiccups

Gert002.jpg

gert003-1.jpg

Oh Jilly, that looks nice. Has she stopped humpy humpy then?

Good body language in that photo! Thumbs up missus

:( She's still humping him and he's now started to protest :(. I heard scuffles throughout the night and each time I checked, they had retreated to opposite ends of the pen :(

This morning when she humped him, he shook her off (no mean feat taking into account her size :shock:) then retreated to the opposite end of the pen from where they have been so cosy.

gert001-2.jpg

Reassurance needed please that this is just 2 steps forward, 1 step back :(

Last edited:
Oh dear.

It is perfectly normal yes, but it's how it develops that will make a difference.

I have the humpmeister here (Bugsy) who has returned for bonding with his two wives. The last few times we tried to bond him (the last time with them too) was about 2 months ago and he wouldn't stop the humping.

So he was sent to his new home to live side by side as we felt that he'd never be bonded and therefore never be rehomed (as this was the umpteenth try).

He came back yesterday and he was a totally different rabbit, for about an hour, and then he started again. It got progressively worse and I've been up all night with them, having to stop every few minutes, but about 5am it subsided and all is calm again for now.

Not knowing Gert's full history and why she is humping, it's hard to second guess how it's going to go, but she may just need to assert herself and when BJ has allowed her to be in charge she'll decide she doesn't need to do it any more.

Of course if it's sexual, then it may not subside quite so quickly.

If they don't settle Jill, I'd put them in the carrier and leave them in it for 10 minutes or so, maybe even longer and if necessary take them for a drive as they would prefer to cling to each other than be scared traveling. I suspect it could possibly have the desired effect on BJ.

With him having been the 'dominant' or at least 'top' bun in the previous bond, this is all a bit strange for him so it will take a while to settle down I'm sure, but a change in the heirachy and behaviour after 24-48 hours is so very normal so don't give up the faith.

:( i've separated them Helen - I couldn't cope with Billie-Joes obvious distress and I wasn't prepared to wait until they'd caused physical damage before I intervened :(:oops:.

she humps him, he doesn't like it so they fight or he flees but either way, he ended up cowering in a corner where she would seek him out and start the whole process again :(. when cowering, he looks so tiny against her and his distress broke my heart :(

awwwwwwwww im so sorry this isnt working out for you hun.....i hope someone can give u some advice......gives duchess a shout :D yooohoooo

Evie/Gert is now back at the Rescue :(. I'm sorry but Billie-Joes distress was too much to bear just a few months after the traumatic split with his bro :( - I couldn't cope with him cowering in the corner and his eyes bulging with fear :(:(.

If only she hadn't humped the living daylights out of him, the story could have been so different.

Evie/Gert had a lovely (and tearful) cuddle on my knee before I took her back - good luck girl x

oh dear what a shame hun......it obviously just wasnt meant to be....maybe a doe thats a little more chilled would be better :love::love:

Yeah - and one that wasn't overbred from (and therefore feels the need to assert herself by humping incessantly).

I feel like putting up a want-ad for a gf for him :oops: It's clear from these photos that he's so ready for a wifey bun

some rescues let u take your bun to pick a bun dont they???? would that maybe the better option...im not sure how u did it with evie did u take him?

some rescues let u take your bun to pick a bun dont they???? would that maybe the better option...im not sure how u did it with evie did u take him?
No I didn't and to be honest, I don't think that makes any difference as even if they get on initially, that's no guarantee that they will get on 3 -4 days down the line (BJ & Evie/Gert is a case in point).

I have put out feelers for what I'm looking for. It looks like a bunny dating ad :lol:

i.e. handsome, small male bun seeks small, uppey-eared female. Laid back nature essential ;)

Back