• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When Billie-Joe met Gertrude

luvabun

Warren Veteran
..... formerly known as Evie ;)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263066&page=2

Obviously it's very early days. Initially Gert was very submissive (shell shocked?) when Billie-Joe humped her every which way :oops: . He then proceeded to nibble on hay and even flopped out. However, once Gert ventured out of the litter tray, she nibbled and humped BJ which he wasn't too fussed about. Nothing that made me get the broom in though. I'll be kipping on the settee tonight whilst they find their feet.

finalrestnatbjgert041.jpg

finalrestnatbjgert043.jpg

:( Not so good. Gertrudes turn for a humpathon and now BJ is cowering in the litter tray

gert001.jpg

You need nerves of steel for this bonding lark and I'm not sure I have them :oops:

Well I've had a fitful night sleeping on the settee - constantly woken up by the noise of the toys (which I'd put in the pen specifically for that reason i.e. to alert me if they started scrapping). However, I didn't have to do anything e.g. separate with the broom.

Gertrude is asserting herself and humps Billie-Joe quite a lot - so far he's accepting it but I'm worried about what will happen when he protests.

Here's this mornings photos then I have a question

gert004.jpg

gert003.jpg

Gert is a big bun and I'm using a very small pen. As you can see, they can't lay down together if they so desired. So, based on their behaviour so far, do you think it's safe for me to slightly increase the pen size?

i think mostly from other threads ive read they say play it by ear and some say if no fighting for 24hrs then yes....dont no much about bonding but ive read alot of the threads due to having to do it myself soon lol....:wave:

:love: licky licky.... click on it for the video

2nd video is Billie-Joe returning the favour :love:

Last edited:
They're great photos, so glad Evie/Gertrude finally found her forever home :love:

Hope the bonding continues to go well!x

Wasn't quick enough to capture Gerts happy flop with legs in the air

gert015.jpg

I hope she stops humping BJ soon - I'm really worried he's not going to put up with it for much longer :(

Last edited:
Thats great progress! They look happy :love: I would increase the space if it were me doing the bond :wave:

I wouldn't - too early yet.

They need to know that they are now a couple so if i were doing it, I'd give it atleast 48 hours before changing anything that is likely to encourage reassertion and a change in the pecking order.

I wouldn't - too early yet.

They need to know that they are now a couple so if i were doing it, I'd give it atleast 48 hours before changing anything that is likely to encourage reassertion and a change in the pecking order.

:oops: missed your post.....is it too soon you think?? im interested cos in a couple of weeks want to bond my two back together

IMO, increasing space too early in a bonding session encourages the rabbits to sit apart because it then becomes possible.

By the rabbits having to sit with or very near each other, they are forced to recognise that they are now a pair/group.

Everyone has a different way of doing a bond, but doing rather a lot, this is what I have found works most of the time.

:oops: missed your post.....is it too soon you think?? im interested cos in a couple of weeks want to bond my two back together

If I had a quid for the number of times I hear of a bond breaking down because the space was increased too soon, I'd have lots of 'quids'.

When I bond I keep the rabbits in the pen the size of an indoor cage for atleast 3-4 days dependent on progress and only then give them another foot or so. And then again in a few days after that if they still don't unsettle, they can have a bit more.

So many times, people take their bunnies home and think that they are getting on so well that surely they don't have to keep them contained and sure enough, it goes wrong. I think the best approach is to build the relationship slowly, giving firm foundations for the future.

Just my experience.:D

Back