• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's normal for a mini lop?

rabbit9091

Young Bun
Hi,

My name's Laura - my husband and I have a neutered buck lionhead cross called Rory. Recently, we decided it was time for him to have a female companion, so today we re-homed a six month mini lop doe who we've named Bella. Unfortunately she was abandoned but taken in by an acquaintance so we agreed we would give her a new home so she could be Rory's companion.

She has been vaccinated but not spayed so we are hoping to do that this week - so for the next month or so they are being kept in separate rooms so we don't have any accidents!

I found out today that she was fed a mix of guinea pig food and rabbit muesli (not pellets) by her previous owner and confined to her hutch without having any chance to run around. She seems very heavy in my limited experience, but I have also read that round-headed rabbits can usually be quite chubby. Compared to other rabbits of the same breed though she does seem slightly overweight - she also moves quite slowly and is unable to jump down from the 10cm platform in her hutch.

I was wondering how much of this is normal and whether I'm worrying a bit too much or if I should be concerned. I'm not well versed in bunny dieting or exercise plans - I've of course given her fresh hay and water and a small bowl of veggies and she is currently having a well-supervised run around, will this do?

Also is there anything I should be doing to help her transition from outdoor bunny to house bunny any easier? My husband adds (jokingly!) is there anyway we can stop her smelling like farm? :p

Thanks in advance!

it sounds like she's really out of shape, if she's been confined to a hutch her muscles will be very weak.

Just keep her on a good diet of mostly hay and small amounts of pellets and veggies (switch the pellets gradually and slowly introduce veggies) and she'll start losing weight, and the more exercise she does the fitter she should get, she'll be leaping about in no time :D

Hi, I have a 4-month old mini lop who is extremely lively and loves jumping and racing around, so yes, she sounds very unfit!

She should be able to jump down 10cm with ease- however if it is a new environment she may just be a little cautious so give her time. Ludo (my lop) wasn't sure about whether it was safe or not to jump down but once he learnt there was no stopping him!

With lots of exercise and the right diet she should soon get fitter.

About your husband's comment: she really shouldn't smell like a farm at all! My baby mini lop smells like fresh hay and warm fur. If she was kept confined in a small space perhaps her bottom is a bit dirty and needs cleaning- have you checked that? A poor diet wouldn't have helped that.

Anyway well done on taking her in and I'm sure she'll soon be healthier. :wave:

We had a rabbit (Leo) who was kept in a 4ft hutch for 5 years (he is a big rabbit but that doesn't matter) he had awful muscle wastage, took him 8 months to really start darting around. We've had him a year now and he's still wobbly but a lot more active :)

Just be patient :D plenty of hay and a careful diet will help:D

It is not normal for a 6 month old rabbit to be overweight as they are still growing a little at this age. If you feed her hay and a small amount of dried food, about an eggcup full, she will gradually lose the excess weight. It must be done gradually so as not to cause "fatty liver" which is very serious. Were you given some of the food she has been eating as if not you will have to keep an eye on her as changing her food may upset her. She would be better sticking to the old food for now until she settles in with you. Then changeover gradually.

Thank you so much for your advice, it's been really helpful and given us an idea of where to go from here. She just peed and it's a very chalky consistency so I think we will be having a long chat with the vet when we see her tomorrow!

let us know how it goes at the vets, get them to weighher, she may have poor muscle tone if been kept in small hutch in past, do you have any photos of her to see if she is overweight? is there any chance she could be pregnant do you know?

Back