• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what wud be better?

he stays over one day in the week and visits on another. which normally is the day that id normally clean scooter out so im having to rush to sort him out.
Why not just do it when your boyfriend is there? You're still spending time together. Or start a little earlier so you don't have to rush. If you're finding you're not cleaning out properly because your bf is coming over you could always change the day that scooter gets cleaned out?

on monday i work 730 til 11.30 weds is 1.30 til 530 thursday is normally 12 til 4 but sometimes it will change. sat is also 12 til 4.
Even with those shifts I'm sure you could find time to clean him out.
Finish at 11.30 - clean him out afterwards
Start at 1.30 or 12 you could clean him out first thing in the morning - Say you get up at 9, and take an hour and a half to get ready for work and travel there, that's an hour and a half you have left over to sort scooter out.
Finish at 4 or 5.30, you could still clean him out in the evenings. With being an indoor bunny it's not like it gets too dark or anything.

I work 9-4 at the moment and if I need to clean the buns out on a work day the easiest time would be right after I finish work. Like you though, I don't get to see OH all that much so like to just relax when we're together. He's home 3.30-5.30 most afternoons so I make the decision to either get up early enough to do the rabbits before work or do them after dark when he goes back to work.
Animals rely on us to take care of them, so even if there's things we'd rather be doing we still need to find a way to make sure the animals are looked after. It's just balancing it all that can be tricky, but it can be done :)

Could you do what someone earlier suggested, have 3 or 4 litter trays made up ready to use.

I do this when we go away for our parents to look after the bunnies to help save them time. They then just lift one out, replace it, throw all the "used" contents into the bin outside and then leave the tray outside to be cleaned when we get home.

A lot of excuses.

You've had some fab suggestions. Spot cleaning and rotating litter trays so they can be cleaned at your convenience.

With spot cleaning, why don't you use a normal plastic bag instead of a bin bag. There's no need for such a small amount of litter. Or get a "Scooter tuppaware" and spot clean into it, take it down to the bin and empty that. Very quick and simple to do everyday.

Your working hours are not long by any means. I'm unsure what you're doing to make yourself so busy you don't have 5 minutes to clean him out.

If your OH's there then do it anyway....or get him to do it for you! ;)

A lot of excuses.

You've had some fab suggestions. Spot cleaning and rotating litter trays so they can be cleaned at your convenience.

With spot cleaning, why don't you use a normal plastic bag instead of a bin bag. There's no need for such a small amount of litter. Or get a "Scooter tuppaware" and spot clean into it, take it down to the bin and empty that. Very quick and simple to do everyday.

Your working hours are not long by any means. I'm unsure what you're doing to make yourself so busy you don't have 5 minutes to clean him out.

:thumb: I'm afraid I agree. Plenty of us here work 40, 50, 60 hours a week and have just as many out-of-work commitments and still manage to clean out litter trays daily. I do a big full weekly clean but change litter trays in the morning before I go to work and I would estimate it takes less than a minute to do each. It's really not insurmountable and if you really aren't finding the time to clean your bunny properly daily then it sounds as if you aren't really spending any time with your bunny either, which, regardless of him being left in dirty litter, doesn't sound fair on him I'm afraid.

I work 5 hours every Monday, Thursday and Friday (9 - 2) and everyday sort a hamster out, 2 indoor rabbits, 2 outdoor rabbits and a cat (my brothers cat too :roll:)

Even if I'm 'not in the mood' or the weather is pants, I'm outside spending half an hour to an hour sorting 2 single rabbits litter trays out, water bottles etc. and then to the 2 single indoor bunnies, and if their blankets or anything need washing then I get everything out, swap blankets, do their water bowl, litter trays and spend at least 10minutes fussing them, the outdoor bunnies get longer. (and obviously they get attention other times)

I couldn't leave it a week otherwise I would have some grumpy smelly rabbits. When we get back from work at 2 and had a shower and bath ourselves and then sort all of the animals out it is about 4, and that's 4 rabbits, a hamster and a cat.

I have animals who depend on me and need me to care for them, it's not a question of finding the time when it has to be done to keep them healthy and happy.

If my boyfriend is with me then he can help or not help, I don't really care lol, he usually helps though.

Last edited:
Like you said, buy a small plastic bin/container/tub (also as RubyTed suggested) and remove soiled litter into that during the week. Then at the weekend you can empty that into the main bin. Even if that's all you do in the mornings before you go to work it should reduce any smell. I don't notice a smell at all here. And it will literally only take 5-10 minutes to do.

Hoovering once a week and brushing every few days really should not be an issue :? You don't seem to work that many hours from what you've said about your shift pattern, so I don't really understand that or why that's a problem?

My boyfriend stays with me and I still make Hopscotch a priority and clean him out, whether my boyfriend is here or not! It needs to be done, so I do it, no matter how long it takes. My bf can look after himself, my bunny can't :wave:

i did use to do the whole litter tray thing but there isnt enought room not to mention that scooter main litter tray is his cage bottom which to take out wud have to be fully cleaned and stored some where else. he doesnt like using the other litter trays either.

as for bf i wud get him to help but he wont do it properly its done half asked and i think if ur gonna do something u do it properly. but seen as im ill today and bunny hasnt been cleaned out since friday. i might get him to do it for me lol. i feel that weak at moment its unbelievable.

i dont know how i do it either because aside from work i dont do much of anything else ill sit in his cage some times and watch him play and wiat for him to come to me and take an interest and stroke him give him treats. i think hed just likes to be left to his on entertainment half the time and have my attention every now and then. hes not really one of those cuddy rabbits that requires attention really and he never has been.

Hunny, cleaning a litter tray is really important and does need to be done regularly. I work 16 hours a week and am mum to two boys, 6 dogs, 3 chooks, a cat and Poppy bun, I still manage to do everyones litter tray and care for everyone. I am ill too at the moment and have still done it (at one point I had to crawl to the tray and change it laying down but it was still done). If your mum doesn't like you using her bags buy a roll, Adsa do them for 99p for 30 or do what I do and save my carrier bags (recycling as well:D). It really does need to become a priority.

To be honest, even if there was a magic substrate that stopped smells I would still do the litter tray daily. I wouldn't want to sit in my own mess and bunnies shouldn't either. Urine is also acidic and can cause sores if any animal is allowed to sit in it's own urine.
We use a cat litter scoop to remove wet litter and poo from the litter tray and hutch base everyday. We buy value/basic cheap as chips pedal bin liners just for that purpose.

Back