• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to Feed Mum

Cheryl368

New Kit
Good morning, my rabbit has had her babies this morning. They were expected as my young male rabbit escaped a few weeks ago! I have read up on what I can but just wanted advice on wether to feed her anything different. My Guineas will eat bread and milk, but not sure about the rabbit. Apart from usual food, plenty of water and veg - is there anything else I can give her to help. Also how soon is it advisable to handle them to check they are OK? Obviously being careful and not distressing Mum. Thanks in advance.

I used to find Mummy bunnies love anything foraged if possible but maybe you can't find anything this time of the year, so fresh Spring Greens woul go own nicely, Readigrass, herbs maybe. Try not to overfeed her with pellets as any weight she puts on will be difficult to take off. Please don't give bread and milk as these foods are not suitable for rabbits. There is no right time to start handling the babies, I used to wait until they were running around but many start handling them from birth. You have to be very careful as you don't want to drop them as they could get internal injuries. Good luck. Dad will have to stay separate until 6 weeks after his neuter.

Is she also getting hay and pellets? If you are feeding pellets, are they alfalfa based and at least 16% protein? Mother rabbits need much more protein and nutrients to support nursing babies. Usually pellet rations have to be increased to provide this, gradually increasing over the first week after giving birth. 2-3 times their normal amount, even sometimes providing unlimited access to pellets if they also continue to eat a good amount of hay. They really do eat a lot more food while providing for their babies. Also providing unlimited access to hay.

You may also want to take a look at this link. It has a lot of helpful info on caring for mom and her new babies.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

Back