• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What size indoor cage?

not during winter i wouldnt of thought because the heat of the house will lose the winter coat pretty fast, i think pearl had started to moult within the week when she came to live with me and shes never got a winter coat since being indoors.

i think people say spring time is when bunnies can be put outside from being house buns :D

I'm really not sure what to do. I think I will leave him outside, I don't want to upset him. Just looked at the forecast and it doesn't look like it's going to get any colder than it already has been. He's been fine. I just worry about him, especially because he's on his own.

My pair moved inside temporarily to give then more space until I could get a run for the hutch to keep them safe.

They havent moved out, have taken over the dining room, wont go near the hutch as they they think it was beneath them. I still have the hutch and run but it now contains a bunny I am fostering for the local rescue centre as it was a shame for it to go to waste.

I have taken pity on the foster bunny being in a hutch when my pair are have their own room, especially in this weather so next plan is to put up a shed for fostering - so beware of the sweet, innocent looking bunnies :lol:

i found dog crates horrible lol instead i use 2 x park 6 rabbit pens from pets at home joined together to make one big cage its about 4ft x 7.5ft in total when they are locked in. theres also a small roof at the one end made with them cube things.. all collapsable for travel :D

eta - gives 29sq ft floor space when caged

:thumb:

that's exactly how my cage is set up :D :D

I used to have a crate with a pen attached, but found it a bit pointless really - you might as well have two pens, it looks nicer and makes for a more open space for sprinting around in. The crate was just awkward and hard to clean cos bit of hay got stuck all around the bottom of it.

Strawbs! He goes beserk if he is caged. Snowdrop is bad too. Some nights I think she forgets her crate doesnt have a door as she will go in and then chew the bars when she has the whole room to play in!

Ha ha Julie does that too. She has a cage with her hay in it just because she refuses to give the cage up. It has no door but she sometimes goes in and chews and rattles the bars as if she is locked it. I think that it is just a fun thing to do as she is never locked in.

:thumb:

that's exactly how my cage is set up :D :D

I used to have a crate with a pen attached, but found it a bit pointless really - you might as well have two pens, it looks nicer and makes for a more open space for sprinting around in. The crate was just awkward and hard to clean cos bit of hay got stuck all around the bottom of it.

ive killed two crates taking the doors off.. now they are useless unless they have a pen attached :oops:.. i started with a small one then tried a 36inch i hated it.. only thing i liked about a crate is the metal tray.. Alvin used to love lying on that :love::love:

now i have a totally open space... i could go bigger but the carpet below wont allow bigger.. oneday ill have a whole room with the pens lining the walls << thats my dream..

as it is now. no cage pinging to be releasued so i think they like the routine and space they get :D

just wish i could stop pearl running about in excitement for food when i go upstairs to sit with them :?

You can see the set-up I'm planning to have in (( This thread here )) - however the room the dog crate is in is already pet-proofed so it's likely that the dog crate will be a 'base' with free range of the room without the pen. (I already had the dog pen as it's handy for my guinea pigs when I can't keep an eye them when they're out. ;))

I don't have my rabbits yet though, so can't comment on how well it will work!

I am planning to get a baby gate for the room so I can look in and keep the door open though.

I thought the dog crate may come in handy for any illness or whatever in the future - I plan for the buns' to live outdoors come spring. If the buns' were to be permanent indoor 'residents' I'd probably go for just pens or cubes though in all honesty. x

Back