• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Rubbish Hay !!-U/D Question Post 35

Thanks Emma... that's really helpful. I normally get supplies from Countrywide in Witney and our village shop supplies great local bales too. If it isn't open today then I may try and get the bus into Chippy tomorrow (can't get the car there yet) and may take you up on your offer! I've asked you this before, but which vet do you use? Chippy or Hook Norton/Charlbury?

I use Hook Norton but Charlbury is one of its branches. I really don't get on with Chipping Norton they are linked with Hook Norton in emergencies. I rang and ended up with a Chipping Norton vet the other morning for Frankie she proceeded to tell me it would cost 3 times the amount and I should wait. I said no I could not wait, said she would ring back and get another emergency vet and then told me I had to wait until my own practice opened. That is the second time they quoted the money at me and told me to wait when it was an emergency. :evil:

Managed to pick up some of my regular cheapy-cheap ‘litter tray’ hay from the petshop today :D I was going to get 3 bags to stock up, but when I looked they only had 6 bags left and I thought of all the local bunnies that only get fed this cheap stuff that I use for litter trays and felt guilty so I put a bag back... :oops:

Oh well, hopefully no more carpet accidents from the bunnies deciding the REALLY bad stuff wasn't even good enough to pee on :roll:

I got some from pets at home, which my too liked, but it wasnt really fine. I dont know if thats the one your on about or not :lol:

Any fine hay is wasted on my two anyway. I think its because they cant sit their and chew for ages :?.

Should I contact the RWA to see if they can put some pressure on P@H to improve the quality of the 'standard' hay they sell ?
I am sure its what most people will buy and it clearly has minimal nutritional value. I bet most Buns just fill up on concentrate feed ...... dental disease in the making.

To be fair our buns are mostly on hay from P@H and apart from one who came to us with no front teeth no dental issues, we do buy the timothy hay..but they tend to chomp the bedding hay too

I've never bought PaH hay, but last week I needed hay & as I was shopping I checked the price and quality of the hay in Tesco - it was awful, so Deej had to wait a day on the last of the hay in his cage, till OH could pop out to the pet shop - which turned out to be out of hay, but clever OH remembered the pet shop wound the corner - they had tonnes of hay and it was even cheaper (and possibly even a bit nicer) than Deej's normal hay!

But then luckily for us Deej will eat pretty much any hay (I once had to buy hay in Wilkinsons and it was all yellow and smelt of nothing at all - I felt bad giving him it)! :oops:

Should I contact the RWA to see if they can put some pressure on P@H to improve the quality of the 'standard' hay they sell ?
I am sure its what most people will buy and it clearly has minimal nutritional value. I bet most Buns just fill up on concentrate feed ...... dental disease in the making.

Can't do any harm :) I'm sure that for every bun who enjoys "bad" hay there are prob 50 more who don't, so their owners think "oh he doesn't like hay" and compensate with other less healthy foods.

It would be nice if there was more general awareness that there can be good and bad hay too, although I dont really see how that would be achieved. For a long time I just assumed all hay was the same :oops:

I really notice the difference when I give my 2 farm hay...they both smell lovely :oops: and so does the living room....much better than room freshener!
I just wish I had the space to buy full bales rather than the bags :cry:

To be honest, I think there are far worse things that pet shops sell than bad hay. eg. sugary treats.

Back