• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Rubbish Hay !!-U/D Question Post 35

I totally agree with you Jane, its just awful. I used it ONCE, never again, mostly just dust! Think I will stick to my cheap bales that the buns and pigs love.

i only bought their hay once and not even my piggles would eat it - they wheeked as if i'd starved them for days:lol: used it in the hutch corners in the end to soak up wee.

will my bunnies must eat anything! they love the stuff...but really i don't think ruby is all that picky. P@H hay was the onyl hay reggie would eat until ruby introduced him to the joys of farm bale hay...and everything else she noms the naughty bunny! i caught him nibbling fleece the other day!

I'm using an emergency supply of hay at the moment for their litter trays that I got from Focus as I haven't been able to get to the pet shop for farm hay since before Christmas. It's the chopped up bright yellow stuff, strands are barely an inch in length.

Result? The bunnies hate it so much that they're refusing to even pee on it and have started relieving themselves on the carpet instead :roll:

(I do have a giant box of Oxbow timothy hay which is their food, but it costs £60 a box and I really don't want to use it as toilet-hay...!)

Is this a dim question: What is Timothy hay? Does someone grow Timothy grass? Should I be providing it? Ours get hay, Excel and lots of veggies etc. Are they missing out?

I don't know exactly, but it seems to be a different type of hay that includes thicker strands than meadow hay and what my OH tells me is "hay seeds" (looks a bit like a small strand of wheat)...sorry :oops:... not really explaining it very well...I'm sure someone with better knowledge than me will answer soon and make more sense! :oops::lol:

I found a bag of hay from P@H at the back of our shed after searching for half an hour in my hay crisis. Alleluia! But I put it in the buns hutches and they haven't touched it. Not interested. They haven't even trampled it down!

I found a bag of hay from P@H at the back of our shed after searching for half an hour in my hay crisis. Alleluia! But I put it in the buns hutches and they haven't touched it. Not interested. They haven't even trampled it down!

If you are still struggling when the roads get a bit better you are welcome to some of mine I had a delivery the other day. Have you tried the farm shop in Carterton. My bunnies go wild for their bags of hay which are about £1.00. They also do bales for about £4.00 but the quality isn't as good.

ASDA used to do reasonable quality hay...think it was Bob Martins...not sure if they still stock the same brand nowadays though

P@H hay is rubbish, i got it one time on a emergency and the buns hardly looked at it, it jagged into my fingers as well. it's just hay dust that their selling at ridiculous prices

If you are still struggling when the roads get a bit better you are welcome to some of mine I had a delivery the other day. Have you tried the farm shop in Carterton. My bunnies go wild for their bags of hay which are about £1.00. They also do bales for about £4.00 but the quality isn't as good.

Thanks Emma... that's really helpful. I normally get supplies from Countrywide in Witney and our village shop supplies great local bales too. If it isn't open today then I may try and get the bus into Chippy tomorrow (can't get the car there yet) and may take you up on your offer! I've asked you this before, but which vet do you use? Chippy or Hook Norton/Charlbury?

ASDA used to do reasonable quality hay...think it was Bob Martins...not sure if they still stock the same brand nowadays though

They still do, it's Meadow Hay, that's the one I get for my Wilm. I used to buy Timothy Hay or Excel from P@H but it got sooo expensive and Wilm much prefers the Asda stuff anyway! Lol x

Should I contact the RWA to see if they can put some pressure on P@H to improve the quality of the 'standard' hay they sell ?
I am sure its what most people will buy and it clearly has minimal nutritional value. I bet most Buns just fill up on concentrate feed ...... dental disease in the making.

Thanks Emma... that's really helpful. I normally get supplies from Countrywide in Witney and our village shop supplies great local bales too. If it isn't open today then I may try and get the bus into Chippy tomorrow (can't get the car there yet) and may take you up on your offer! I've asked you this before, but which vet do you use? Chippy or Hook Norton/Charlbury?

If it's any help i can nip down to Countrywide now for you. My boss is attempting to drive us to Kidlington. Can't you pick it up from me there?

If it's any help i can nip down to Countrywide now for you. My boss is attempting to drive us to Kidlington. Can't you pick it up from me there?

Thanks Michelle... My dad and I are trying to get the car started... we can't just yet... If we can, we will be able to get to countrywide. I may also try and get there on the bus this afternoon if we can't start the car xx

Thanks Michelle... My dad and I are trying to get the car started... we can't just yet... If we can, we will be able to get to countrywide. I may also try and get there on the bus this afternoon if we can't start the car xx

Drive carefully, the main roads in Witney aren't too bad. Let me know if i can do anything x
(the things we do for our buns!)

I used that before & it was full of thorns-nasty big ones.Dont buy anything from there anymore since came out crying cos felt so sorry for their buns.:(

It's not great. My lot will be on that from tomorrow night unless the stables is back out from under the drift:?

Back