• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What litter do you use for your litter boxes?

I thought it was recommended not to use woodshavings(?)

It's not because they are dusty and release phenols. Some people choose to ignore this though. I personally can't stand shavings because they get everywhere and stink to high heaven when peed on.

I much prefer using nespaper with a thick layer of hay on top as I buy my hay in bales so it's pretty cheap.

ETA: I'm sure someone posted a really good article about shavings a little while back and someone who runs a rescue commented that when they had PM's done on some of the buns that died there that had been kept on shavings their lungs with thick with dust.

Last edited:
ive never had a problem and theres no evidence to suggest that woodshaving (pets at home) cause any problems

Shavings cause problems too, not just sawdust. Shavings release phenols which irritate rabbits' delicate respiratory systems. Certain woods cause it and these are the woods that tend to be used for shavings. Aspen doesn't I believe.

Back