• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is upsetting Lola's tummy?

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
Apologies in advance, as this background post will be long! Lola is 4 years old and has started to have a problem with misformed ceacatrophs.

She would have them in the past when she had any pet shop stick type treat, so we totally cut those out, then she would have a daily fenugreek and then started having misformed ceacs so we stopped those, and then it seemed to be when she had carrot. (She would only ever have a small chunk or a few peelings, and not very often) so we cut that out out aswell thinking she couldn't tolerate the sugars very well now for some reason (this used to be a bunny who could eat a small amount of apple, or carrot or greens with no issues at all in the past) She has had a couple of episodes where her tummy has felt empty and needs to be prompted into running around to make it feel normal again - gas related?? so we cut out greens incase they were the cause and she hadn't been given apple for a couple of years now.

I feel I have got her on quite a basic diet now to minimise any problems.

Her diet now is:

Morning: Timothy hay (we use Timothyhay.co.uk 2013 batch)
Late morning/lunch: quite small amount of Supreme science pellets (she has been on these for years)
Early evening: Would have been more Timothy but is now meadow hay (Bob Martin)
Late night: another small amount of supreme science pellets, another batch of Timothy hay to keep them going through the night.
Occasional kale (this has been stopped while her tummy has been off)

Sometimes I swap the hay type around, but each time they get different to the last one that day. So sometimes 2 x Meadow, 1 x Timothy. When they are cleaned out they have both put back in together.

She is a great hay eater, which has not changed, and the past few weeks I have given them some Bob Martin meadow hay for a bit of variety alongside her normal Timothy hay. But her misformed ceacs have now started. When I say misformed they are lumps of mush, not even like the bunch of grapes type I have seen in previous bunnies. Although sometimes they are more formed than the mush.

Her regular bumbles are ok, and I have even seen her eat some ceacs this morning after finding more mush ones left overnight. So I am guessing there is an imbalance in her - I think this is correct - caecum and she would benefit from Probiotics.

But is there anything else that may cause this or in her diet? Is the hay too rich? The only difference is giving her the meadow hay again, but I would have thought that is fairly harmless? Maybe when it first started out of nowhere with her having none of what I would class as her normal triggers she had Timothy hay with the added dandelion/chamomile, but she has not had any for a few weeks now.

She is not craving paper and cardboard, like they sometimes do when they know something is off. She is otherwise acting normal.

Can the vet inject the probiotics rather than give it in the water? These girls are so sensitive to changes and I don't want to put it in her regular water bowl as she will just ignore it. She just one day decided she would not use her water bottle which we never got to the bottom of, so I don't want to put her off her bowl. Vet trips in themselves usually end with her leaving ceacatrophs as she is stressed.

I have noticed she has a lump of it stuck around her butt (hazard of being a lionhead) so will have to stress her trying to get that off her later. She hates being picked up so that is not going to be easy. Claw cutting a couple of weekends ago was a job to catch her and is a two person job.

Thank you in advance anyone who has managed to get through this post!

The first thing I would suggest is to get the Vet to check her over, especially her teeth. Lionheads are prone to Dental problems, even if they have been good hay eaters. Sometimes the only sign of a dental issue is unformed/uneaten cecotrphs. Are the 'unformed cecotrophs' passed as a 'splat' or is it that she is passing normal ones but then not eating all of them so they are getting squashed ? If this is a possibility then arthritis may be an issue. Rabbits with a sore back due to arthritis can struggle to get to their bum to eat their cecotrophs.

Pro/prebiotics do have to be given orally

Thank you for your reply Jane, yes it is more of a splat. Like it hasn't even had a chance to process into a true small shiny looking ceacatroph yet, just came straight through her. Some ceacatrophs she has left have been more formed looking and much smaller, although still not totally normal and then this morning I found a normal little shiny one, although I did accidentally disturb her while she was eating them so that could have been why that one was left. So she seems to be making normal ones aswell as these splatty yucky ones. The normal one this morning was last one I saw, so it will be interesting to see if she goes back to yucky ones overnight again. My daughter said she was eating one just now but I didn't have a chance to peek and see if I could see what it was like.

A few weeks ago I did see her eating one that was a bit bigger and abnormal looking, I wonder if that has put the bad bacteria back into her system and it has multiplied and got out of hand in there.

That makes sense with the pro/probiotics so it goes through the digestive system and gets to where it is needed.

Yes I think she will have to see the vet tomorrow/Monday to rule out anything else going on. I think she did have something teeth related done under GA a few years ago, but was not on such good hay then, she had been fine at any check up since, but that is a definitely a possibility and avenue to investigate that something is back.

Thank you again for the reply xxx

I too think a vet visit is in order to rule out any dental problems or any other medical issue. The vet should thoroughly examine the back teeth with an otoscope and listen to her tummy with a stethoscope. Make sure to check her weight hasn't dropped. Maybe discuss blood tests to check her general internal health.

If that doesn't show up anything, I'd try a hay-only diet for a week and see if that helps. If not, back to the vets, if it does help then it might be diet-related so very slowly reintroduce the pellets till you hit the iffy point again and then backtrack a bit. Occasionally you do get bunnies that struggle with anything other than hay. How much is a small amount of pellets? Can you measure the normal amount in tablespoons or grams?

Thank you nessar xxx that is a good idea with the hay only diet for a week, I imagine the vet may suggest that too. It seems she has very slowly been turning from a bunny with quite a hardy tummy to one that doesn't tolerate much.

I weighed the pellets and it was about 25-30g so she would get that twice a day. I am wondering if there is anything better for her than SS to try.

Has she lost any weight at all. One of mine recently had this and was diagnosed with tooth pain and later developed an abcess which was removed. Have you noticed a reduction in her appetite?May be worth taking some poo samples to the vets too when you go. I used Fibreplex, brambles, probiotics and protexin pellets. He's also on pellets which do not have alfafa in them.

Has she lost any weight at all. One of mine recently had this and was diagnosed with tooth pain and later developed an abcess which was removed. Have you noticed a reduction in her appetite?May be worth taking some poo samples to the vets too when you go. I used Fibreplex, brambles, probiotics and protexin pellets. He's also on pellets which do not have alfafa in them.

Thank you hurricanhoney :) I haven't noticed any weightloss visually although she is so fluffy it could be masking it, she feels the same when stroking her, but the vet will have a record we can check by next week.

She still seems to be eating the same as normal, normally if there is anything slightly off with these girls that is normally their first sign. She seems to be eating at the same times too, no disruption to her routine, she will have some from her bowl, then returns to the rest later when we eat :love: if we eat and she has finished hers before then she goes and sits next to her empty bowl as if to say 'excuse me, where's mine'! So she gets some more hay so she has something to eat with us. The funny little thing!

Today she has left a few much more normal shape and consistency ceacatrophs. Back to being shiny little round ones, but they are fairly dark, that said they may normally be dark for her, I'm not sure. I haven't given her any meadow hay today or yesterday to see if that helps as it seems to have coincided with that, we've just stuck with her Timothy. That's good to know there are a couple of things that she can be having. I always feel better going to the vet armed with an idea of what may be recommended. Good idea about the poo sample, it crossed my mind to do that. The vets are used to me bringing in yucky things in bags :lol:

Back