• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What housing is best for an indoor rabbit?

megh

New Kit
I'm (hopefully) going to be buying a 7 week old dwarf-lop buck, and I need to know what kind of hutches/cages would be best for him? I want to keep him indoors as he'll be on his own.

Are the ferplast cages any good, or are they too small?

I'm (hopefully) going to be buying a 7 week old dwarf-lop buck, and I need to know what kind of hutches/cages would be best for him? I want to keep him indoors as he'll be on his own.

Are the ferplast cages any good, or are they too small?

I would recommend a pen rather than a hutch, especially for a dwarf lop - they grow a lot bigger than their name suggests... Plastic indoor hutches are almost always too small. Recommended size would be something along
6ft x 2 ft x 2 ft.

Also, i hope he isn't 7 weeks old, as far as im aware, they have to be 8 weeks for them to be sold, by some kind of rule/law?:roll:

Experts on the subject will be along shortly though im sure :)

Last edited:
Personally I prefer the dog crates as a base and then free-ranging or with a pen attached.

^ I did have a look at dog crates, they do work? I think I'll probably get one of those for him if I find a nice sized one. Sorry I'm so oblivious but I've never had a rabbit before and I don't want to do anything wrong!

I would recommend a pen rather than a hutch, especially for a dwarf lop - they grow a lot bigger than their name suggests... Plastic indoor hutches are almost always too small. Recommended size would be something along
6ft x 2 ft x 2 ft.

Also, i hope he isn't 7 weeks old, as far as im aware, they have to be 8 weeks for them to be sold, by some kind of rule/law?:roll:

Experts on the subject will be along shortly though im sure :)

I would prefer a pen because they seem to give the rabbits far more space to run around than an indoor hutch.

I think he may be around 9-11 weeks old now, as I'm buying through an older advert. Ohh you've worried me now, he's one of the last of a litter so I hope they haven't all been sold too young. :(

Last edited:
^ I did have a look at dog crates, they do work? I think I'll probably get one of those for him if I find a nice sized one.

I would prefer a pen because they seem to give the rabbits far more space to run around than an indoor hutch.

I think he may be around 9-11 weeks old now, as I'm buying through an older advert. Ohh you've worried me now, he's one of the last of a litter so I hope they haven't all been sold too young. :(

at least its only a week, they may have been weaned early i guess, but i guess it'll be okay :) As long as he's a happy healthy bun!

Dog crates work really well in certain situations, aslong as they can come out and free-range for a good few hours a day!

at least its only a week, they may have been weaned early i guess, but i guess it'll be okay :) As long as he's a happy healthy bun!

Dog crates work really well in certain situations, aslong as they can come out and free-range for a good few hours a day!

Fantastic :D Thank you so much for replying so quickly!

My dog crate has a wooden base with lino on top and then a shelf half way up of the same again with a ladder. They really enjoy sitting on the shelf and their litter trays fit nicely on the base bit.

It would be quite easy to then add a pen onto that with simple cable ties.

This is what I had a few days ago - mine are on restricted space at the moment due to bonding (I've also taken their shelf out for the moment).

_IGP8362-vi.jpg

I didn't actually cable tie the pen panels on cos it was only temporary and it held itself up although I did cable tie it to the bed as Mini was intent on moving it there.

We keep Basil in a large dog crate in the conservatory overnight. The crate is large because it used to be the puppy crate for my GSD. In this he has a cardboard house filled with straw and a comfy cushion on the top. A biscuit tin full of hay which he uses as a lookout, toys litter tray, food bowls and water. He uses the conservatory as an extension run on cool days and on warm days he has an outdoor run. DH is also turning the shed into a huge playhouse that he can use durng the day, but he will still come in with us at night as he is an only bun and we don't want him to be on his own. He seems to have bonded well with our two dogs, but we never leave them unsupervised together when Basil is out of his crate. We also have a smaller carrier, (cat size) but think this is only useful for trips to the vets etc. I really wouldn't want to leave him in it for too long, but it is useful for shorter periods.:)

We keep Basil in a large dog crate in the conservatory overnight. The crate is large because it used to be the puppy crate for my GSD. In this he has a cardboard house filled with straw and a comfy cushion on the top. A biscuit tin full of hay which he uses as a lookout, toys litter tray, food bowls and water. He uses the conservatory as an extension run on cool days and on warm days he has an outdoor run. DH is also turning the shed into a huge playhouse that he can use durng the day, but he will still come in with us at night as he is an only bun and we don't want him to be on his own. He seems to have bonded well with our two dogs, but we never leave them unsupervised together when Basil is out of his crate. We also have a smaller carrier, (cat size) but think this is only useful for trips to the vets etc. I really wouldn't want to leave him in it for too long, but it is useful for shorter periods.:)

Ahh that's sound great. Thank you!

I have another question, not really regarding housing but more of a safety thing. I've been badgering my mum about getting a rabbit for a very long time, and she's finally agreed (obviously) but she wants me to keep him in my bedroom. The only problem is that my bedroom is the converted attic and I'm worried about the stairs. My room is fairly (ok, quite) large but I'd like to give the rabbit full roam of the house.

Should I try and persuade her to let me keep him on the first floor of the house, or as long as he's supervised every second are stairs still a problem? I should think they would be and I don't want to hurt him.

Last edited:
Ahh that's sound great. Thank you!

I have another question, not really regarding housing but more of a safety thing. I've been badgering my mum about getting a rabbit for a very long time, and she's finally agreed (obviously) but she wants me to keep him in my bedroom. The only problem is that my bedroom is the converted attic and I'm worried about the stairs. My room is fairly (ok, quite) large but I'd like to give the rabbit full roam of the house.

Should I try and persuade her to let me keep him on the first floor of the house, or as long as he's supervised every second are stairs still a problem? I should think they would be and I don't want to hurt him.

Are the stairs constantly accessible, e.g, do you have a door that covers them?

Are the stairs constantly accessible, e.g, do you have a door that covers them?

My bedroom door leads onto a small landing where the stairs are, so if my door is shut he wouldn't be able to get to them. I was just worried that my room wouldn't be enough for him, and carrying him between floors would cause too much confusion. I'm going to get him a run for the garden for sunny days too.

My bedroom door leads onto a small landing where the stairs are, so if my door is shut he wouldn't be able to get to them. I was just worried that my room wouldn't be enough for him, and carrying him between floors would cause too much confusion. I'm going to get him a run for the garden for sunny days too.

That should be fine then :) aslong as your bedroom is bunny-proofed (e.g, no cables left accessible) and the door is left closed when he's out and about, that'll be fine. What kind of floor do you have, is it laminate or carpet?

That should be fine then :) aslong as your bedroom is bunny-proofed (e.g, no cables left accessible) and the door is left closed when he's out and about, that'll be fine. What kind of floor do you have, is it laminate or carpet?

Oh good. I'll unplug any cables and put them out of reach when he's out of his cage. It's carpet, is that a problem?

Oh good. I'll unplug any cables and put them out of reach when he's out of his cage. It's carpet, is that a problem?

Nope, not really, Biscut and quite a few others here use carpet. It may be worth getting some kind of cover to go over your carpet where the bun will be though, as urine can stain (but you can get it out!) carpet quite a bit.

If you're worried about the stairs could you get a stairgate? We have one covered with two meshed panels so that they can't squeeze through the bars.

As for carpet. I found that carpet gave mine sore hocks BUT it was an old very worn carpet so I think that was the problem rather than the carpet in itself. Carpet is a right pain to clean though if they have an accident. And once it starts to smell there's not much you can do.

I've bought him a dog crate, it has a plastic bottom and is spacious for him, he's been hopping around and he's very sweet, not skittish or scared of humans at all. I was just wondering now if he's going to be bothered by a plastic bottom?

Could somebody with an indoor run maybe show me some pictures just so I know what I'm doing wrong/right, and perhaps the area you let them run around/play in?

Last edited:
Basil doesn't mind a plastic bottom tray, but we find it a bit skiddy for him, especially when he gets really excited. You could perhaps cover it with something less slippery, maybe and old blanket or piece of carpet. Are you going to litter train him, because that will make life so much easier for you? These are the area sizes Basil can use, dog crate approx 120cm x 60cm x 60cm, Conservatory 240cm x240cm, Garden Shed/Playhouse 180cm x 120cm, Garden run 120cm x 120cm but we are thinking of extending this at some point with some of the 'Runaround' equipment. You can view this site at http://www.runaround.co.uk/runaround/Home.html
I think it looks great!:)

Back