• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What food is best?

Hi
I am after some advice, I have a 6 year old Angora who we have taken in as a rescue, he has been checked by the vet and does not have many teeth apart from front ones. He has not been eating well and I am after some suggestions to temp him even if it's not the norm. He is at the moment eating excel pellets softened down and mixed with baby food....not a nice sight :). This morning he got excited over a piece of Rye Bread and wanted more....let him have a little as was just glad to see him eat by himself as have been spoon feeding up to now. Have tried all the norm veg and herbs....just want ideas on what’s ok or not as I don't want to cause any other problems.

Hope somebody can offer advice

Thanks
Alison

You could try a bit of porridge? Pipkin loves it.
I mix a little bit with water and microwave it so all the water is absorbed. Make sure it cools down before you give it to him though.
Maybe banana too? That's quite soft. Probably not very much of that, though...

Hope the liddle bunny is ok!

I was going to suggest porridge too!

Is he actually underweight and you need to put weight on him, or just a bit of a poor appetite that you think is down to lack of teeth?

Is he eating hay? If you can get any tasty bits of hay chopped up small that might tempt him? Mine go wild for Oat Wheat & Barley and theres always small bits at the bottom?

I would suggest the junior excel pellets if you can, because Angora's need a high protein diet due to their fur. They are also a slightly different shape, and smaller, and may be easier.

Porridge is definitely a good suggestion. Also, if his tummy tolerates it, something soft and mushy like banana might help to tempt him with things.

Good on you for taking him in, he's a lucky bunny!

Thanks for all the suggestions......he is underweight and not got a good appetite. I have tried porridge which he liked, I made it with milk but read on here water might be better...is this correct. We know he has no teeth apart from front ones as he was seen by a vet last week. Will try the junior excel.

Thanks all help and advice greatly received

Alison

Thanks for all the suggestions......he is underweight and not got a good appetite. I have tried porridge which he liked, I made it with milk but read on here water might be better...is this correct. We know he has no teeth apart from front ones as he was seen by a vet last week. Will try the junior excel.

Thanks all help and advice greatly received

Alison

I wouldn't use milk, as I don't think that bunnies can digest cow's milk.

Thanks for that and does anyone know if there is a reason he should not have a little rye bread?

It's the only thing I have found he WANTS to eat but don't want to feed him something wrong. Only giving about 2" square.

Thanks

Thanks for that and does anyone know if there is a reason he should not have a little rye bread?

It's the only thing I have found he WANTS to eat but don't want to feed him something wrong. Only giving about 2" square.

Thanks

Some people give toast to their buns as a treat, others think you should feed as naturally as possible and that there are enough treats available through nature, so as with everything there are mixed views! I'm sure a little bit will be fine, as long as you can still get him to eat hay and things.

How's he doing today?

He is doing great he is now eating his babyfood and pelet mix on his own rather from spoon, he has also nibbled on a sprout leaf....but the best news is he has a new friend. We took in 2 Angora's with the intention to bond, they have been the best bonding I have ever done.....all happy and loved up within 30 minutes:) We now have to big balls of fluff running around.

Thanks for all the help it has been really helpful

Aw, how wonderful!

I hope he keeps improving :) If you see no gut problems then bread should be fine, but not loads because of the carbs.

Back