• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you put ..

Bump!
If I have a hutch attached to a run and a predator breaks in the preador will be able to access the hutch .. How does a hutch make the buns safe?

I've never used the hutch after I found ouit it was too small, they've both together not been in it before I was bun educated.
Its going to be a hidey house.

Yea,but they're going to get free range time everyday in the garden and house and they're going to spend the night in the run in the garden.
Its not attached to a shed or hutch.
In winter they're going to be inside the house or garage

You have said that the rabbits will be living outside in the 4 x 6 run with the 1 x 3 hutch as their hidey hole. You have also mentioned in another thread that you do not have any other hutch and that they are going to spend the night in the garden in their run.

You have foxes visit your garden and have already lost a rabbit to one of these. Can I ask you to consider what protection your rabbits have from a fox, just the sight of a fox can frighten them to death. In a run without a hutch to hide in and only a tiny shelter which is not big enough for 2 rabbits they have no where to hide.

If your garden is too small to have another hutch or run could you get your father to build a hutch on top of the run this would give your rabbits a more usable space where they can hide from predators.

Bump!
If I have a hutch attached to a run and a predator breaks in the preador will be able to access the hutch .. How does a hutch make the buns safe?

The run is supposed to be predator proof, you called it a 'fox proof run' and I'm sure it is, but that does not stop the buns from seeing and being chased round the run by a predator. The hutch would be for the buns to hide and take refuge in, if my buns get freaked out by a noise or a quick movement they run for cover (into the shed or bed area) if they didn't have anywhere to hide it could risk them getting hurt by dashing madly around or even, in serious circumstances, having a heart attack because they are just being chased round and round the run and the shock is to much for them.

You have said that the rabbits will be living outside in the 4 x 6 run with the 1 x 3 hutch as their hidey hole. You have also mentioned in another thread that you do not have any other hutch and that they are going to spend the night in the garden in their run.

You have foxes visit your garden and have already lost a rabbit to one of these. Can I ask you to consider what protection your rabbits have from a fox, just the sight of a fox can frighten them to death. In a run without a hutch to hide in and only a tiny shelter which is not big enough for 2 rabbits they have no where to hide.

If your garden is too small to have another hutch or run could you get your father to build a hutch on top of the run this would give your rabbits a more usable space where they can hide from predators.

I am going to tell me dad to cut a hole into the back of the run and into the garage wall, then attach a plumping pipe in, so they can retreat in the building.

Just to add DEFINITELY don't leave them in a run unattended. I know someone who lost a bun doing that in broad daylight, let alone all night. You have to supervise the buns outside, even dogs and cats can pose massive problems.

Back