• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do rabbits need to eat?

paintingasunshine.

Warren Scout
So We are getting two rabbits in 3 weeks, and we know they have to have hay?
Any advice (not regarding their diet) would be helpful too!
What do they need to eat? x:?:?:?

Hay is the majority diet, whole pellets ie Science Selective, Burgess, Wagg etc everyone has varying opinions on the best one, but they are better than the cheaper muesli mix, although I believe Royale Rabbit Mix (think it is) is very good. A small handful of green leaf (dark) veggies/herbs of an evening, much depends though on the ages of your buns though.

I'm really confused what you mean, you said you wanted info about what they eat but then you said you didn't want info regarding their diet?:lol:

it would be helpful too ;)

Well you want to feed pellets rather than mix (amount depends on age and size)
Hay, atleast the size of the bunny each day!
Young buns shouldnt be given fresh foods, but I cant remember what age to start them :oops:

They will need a myxi jab (from 8 weeks up) and then 2 weeks later a VHD jab. The Myxi jab will need to be repeated every 6 months and the VHD yearly :D

Buns will need to be speyed and neutered. Boys can be done from 4 months, Girls from 6 :wave:

Hay hay and lots more hay! Good quality stuff too- I would recommend buying samples from websites like hay for pets, animal magic pet supplies and the hay experts to see what your buns like best.

Erm, Oscar has pellets in the morning- an eggcup in the morning of Excel but that is being cut down because vet says he's getting a bit heavy :oops::oops: Excel can sometimes cause sticky bums (though I've never had this problem) so a lot of people on here use Science selective pellets instead. Pellet food is much better than mixed muesli as it stops selective eating.

If they are over 12 weeks they can have veggies too, save ones to feed can be found here: http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm When introducing veg, you only want to give them a small amount to start with, wait 24 hours or so to make sure that it hasn't made them ill, and then can slowly increase it. Don't introduce more than one food at once either!

You said you are getting 3 rabbits, what age will they be? Will they be male/female? Will they be kept together? It's best to get rabbits neutered/spayed as soon as they are old enough to prevent cancer in both sexes. It will reduce hormonal behaviour and means they can be bonded and live together- it is recommended rabbits have company of their own species.

It is also recommended that you get your rabbits vaccinated for Myxi (every 6 months) and VHD (every year), so you will need to find a good rabbit savvy vet who will do this for you.

Accommodation wise, where will your buns be living? Rabbits need lots of space! The more the better!!

Erm, that's everything I can think of for now... Hope it helps :wave:

it would be helpful too ;)

Well you want to feed pellets rather than mix (amount depends on age and size)
Hay, atleast the size of the bunny each day!
Young buns shouldnt be given fresh foods, but I cant remember what age to start them :oops:

They will need a myxi jab (from 8 weeks up) and then 2 weeks later a VHD jab. The Myxi jab will need to be repeated every 6 months and the VHD yearly :D

Buns will need to be speyed and neutered. Boys can be done from 4 months, Girls from 6 :wave:

Well yes I saw that. Made no sense to me for some reason.

Litter train your buns from the off...buns wee in one spot, find the spot they prefer add a litter tray lined with newspaer and some hay on top, buns enjoy eating and pooing at same time. :D
I use wood pellets for the trays though.

Have a browse around the site, lots of different ideas in diet, housing sections etc, if you are unsure of size of hutch, ask on here before you buy as lots of places sell hutches that are not big enough for buns.
Your buns needs lots of daily excercise too.
Make sure your buns are sexed properly by a vet or someone who knows what they are doing!

If you rescue two buns from a rescue they'll be neutered and vaccs and bonded, you pay the asking donation fee but works out much cheaper and less stressful for you in the long run. :D

Yeah they need unlimited hay, no doubt.
Watch out for greens that cause gas because they can't pass gas (or so I heard from a couple places) I know kale and mustard greens should be fed in very limited amounts because even though they're healthy it can cause gas.

the guy we got our rabbit from gave us a good supply of food so that we could slowly introduce our own food to the rabbit over a period of time. Maybe your bunny supplier will do the same for you.:wave:

Back