• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What could this be? Urgent!!

Janey

Warren Veteran
I woke up this morning and Poppy is lopsided, it looks like she's had a stroke. She can't eat, she can hop around but sometimes walks rather than hops and prefers to stay still. She is also chewing alot although she can't have ne thing in her mouth. I have a vets appointment at 1:30. Could this be EC? I think it must be a stroke but am hoping so desperately it isn't. She had surgery less than two weeks ago and has been through so much, she is 4.

It sounds like an acute onset middle ear infection.
EC is also a possibility

Hopefully the Vet will prescribe antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and Fenbendazole to cover all bases.

If you search 'Head Tilt' on here you will find a few threads which would be useful to read.

Good luck

Thank you I will have have a look now, I hope it is something treatable-she is an amazing bunny & I feel so sorry for her.

Nothing helpful to add, but thinking of you and Poppy. Let us know how the vet appointment goes.

Thank you I will have have a look now, I hope it is something treatable-she is an amazing bunny & I feel so sorry for her.

Both EC and Middle Ear infections are treatable, although obviously each case is very individual regarding prognosis.

Recovery may takes weeks as opposed to days, with lots of intensive nursing care. Some Rabbits are left with a permanent tilt but they adapt and cope well.
Hopefully by searching for and reading the 'Head Tilt' threads on here you will feel slightly less anxious.

Thinking of you. Mischa had EC and head tilt severely and now shows no signs of it so it is treatable. Get her to a vet asap and spend some time with her looking after her and nursing her back to health. :)

Thank you everybody for your kind replies. I took her to the vets and you would not believe the outcome.

She was rushed in as I said she hadn't been eating, the vet I saw was the rabbit savvy one who I was hoping would be there. He did what I assume are test for her coordination, rolling her over etc, she seemed to be doing everything right, flipping herself the right way. He looked in her ears but looked a long time so I persumed he couldn't see anything, he said he thought the tilt was caused by a deep ear infection that he couldn't see. He then looked in her mouth (I guess routine) and you would never guess what he found......

Two weeks ago Poppy had an op to remove a mass caused by a reaction to penicillin injections she was having for her bad teeth (you can see she has been in the wars recently). She still has the sutures in her back, due to be taken out tommorrow. Since she has had these she hasn't touched them, however, she had managed to get the very end suture caught around her bottom tooth so her back was literally attached to her mouth, hence the un-able to eat and lopsidedness.:lol:

My Mum syringe fed her this morning....didn't notice, I checked her all over, couldn't see, and the vet said he nearly gave her meds for a middle ear infection. To say I was relieved was an understatement, the vet & I were in hysterics.

So thank you everybody for your kind words but Poppy is fine (and I am rather embarassed :oops:). In fact when I got her home and let her out of the vet carrier she hopped up two flights of stairs and I found her in the bathroom with a packet from her forage treat mix I had but in the bin in there last night, she was obviously very hungry....naughty bunny!!:)

Back