• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What could this be? U/D Post 29

Just called the vets, they've just finished with her, and apparently her teeth were fine. I asked what it was, and I was told the vet would call me, that was nearly an hour ago.

Bungle stopped eating properly last week. He would eat bits of veg but no pellets so I assumed it was dental. Took him too vets and it turned out that he was just off his food as his moult is bothering him.

When Snowdrop doesnt eat I do 2 days of treatment at home and if it doesnt work she gets admitted for fluids. She has a stomach condition and my vet allows me to treat her at home when possible.

If Strawberry stopped eating it would be a dire emergency as I have never known him be off food at all!

She's back, vet has no idea what the matter is, but charged me £70 for the pleasure

Have they not done anything, given her a gut simulant or pain relief?? Did they just sedate her and charge you for it? Is she eating normally now?

Have they not done anything, given her a gut simulant or pain relief?? Did they just sedate her and charge you for it? Is she eating normally now?

They give her gut stimulant, pain relief, and antibiotics. They also give her some recovery food.

Oh, and no, she hadn't eaten yet.

Stopped nomming. Had a tiny bit of hay but thats it. I've had to syringe feed her the recovery food, but it takes ages, because she'll only eat it when I've put her down. She will happily eat pureed apple, but its a ****** to get into a syringe and she's refusing it off a spoon. HELP!

Stopped nomming. Had a tiny bit of hay but thats it. I've had to syringe feed her the recovery food, but it takes ages, because she'll only eat it when I've put her down. She will happily eat pureed apple, but its a ****** to get into a syringe and she's refusing it off a spoon. HELP!

That bunny sounds like it could goi into stasis/GI slowdown if the poops are small and darker too? The pain meds are probably wearing off if not already worn off.

I'd be wanting her back to a vet immediately. Preferably a rabbit savvy one.

Shes taking pureed food okay you say? Could you mush up some pellets with water to see if she'll take them?

Were her teeth checked when she was at the vets at all?

That bunny sounds like it could goi into stasis/GI slowdown if the poops are small and darker too? The pain meds are probably wearing off if not already worn off.

I'd be wanting her back to a vet immediately. Preferably a rabbit savvy one.

Shes taking pureed food okay you say? Could you mush up some pellets with water to see if she'll take them?

Were her teeth checked when she was at the vets at all?

Yeah, apparently there were a few spurs on them, but nothing major. I am giving her metoclopramide 3 times a day. She's had a bit of a chew on one of her twigs but shes just refusing to eat anything.

Yeah, apparently there were a few spurs on them, but nothing major. I am giving her metoclopramide 3 times a day. She's had a bit of a chew on one of her twigs but shes just refusing to eat anything.

She needs to go back to a vet if you cant tempt her with anything.

Has she pooped?

Yeah, she did some poops this morning. Not as big as they have been, but not as small either. Weren't too many though.

Might be worth asking the vet about the teeth again. Bunnies have different pain levels, even minor spurs would be enough to upset some bunnies.

Back