• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What could it be?

blinkwink

Warren Scout
I'm still trying to get Bella (thumper) introduced to new food. I'm doing the change very slowly by mixing 80/20% new food. She has a small piece of basil as a treat everyday.
At her previous home they fed her Tescos blue stripe Rabbit and guinea pig food if they couldnt even afford that they just threw a few bits of carrots in her hutch. So I'm trying to ween her off this cheapo mix there is still a little in the bag remaining but am worried this is what is giving her the diorreah. The poo is extreme its huge, sometime bigger than molly my kitties poo, and it gets very hard and stuck to her it smells and I do worry.

Is it poss it is the cheap food? should I just change it right away?
Help please:shock:

molly2.jpg
benjy.jpg
merlin2.jpg
rubybath.jpg
Molly Kitten, Benjamin, Merlin, and beautiful Ruby....My Angels

I just changed my rabbits food in one go but it really depends how the rabbit will react to it?

Changing it right away can cause more problems. I would suggest cutting down on the pellets (both types) and pushing hay. Are you sure she's not eating anything else that might do this? fresh food? grass? Are you cleaning her butt to keep her clean and also prevent flystrike?

Did she have the squidgy poop before you started the change?

Does she eat hay and is she in reasonable body weight? If so you could cut out dry food totally, let her poop go back to normal then gradually phase in a few pellets.

A week or two just on hay won't do any harm :)

is your bun's diet a minimum of 80% timothy hay? If not, make sure that it is, it will improve on her diet. A bun only need 10 to 15% pellet of everyday diet w/ the remaining green, fruit, and treats

Did she have the squidgy poop before you started the change?

Does she eat hay and is she in reasonable body weight? If so you could cut out dry food totally, let her poop go back to normal then gradually phase in a few pellets.

A week or two just on hay won't do any harm :)

Tamsin - She has always had squidgy since I got her, she has hay to graze on all day and night. But I only ever see her eating straw:roll: she just seeems to lob her hay about the place.
Everyone who sees her says 'Blimey' shes a big rabbit so I think prehaps she is over weight.:cry:

Happy Hopping- I give her a handful in the morning and at night of her mix as she is used to onl y having it (she never had hay before I got her) I am mixing it with the new stuff

molly2.jpg
benjy.jpg
merlin2.jpg
rubybath.jpg
Molly Kitten, Benjamin, Merlin, and beautiful Ruby....My Angels

Back