• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What bunny should i get?

I don't think this is a troll thread, they haven't logged in since 2 minutes after posting and a troll would be more interested and continue to provoke. I think it's just someone that wants a non-rescue rabbit. They're are clearly aware it's a pro-rescue forum to comment the way they did but have chosen, as is their right whatever the popular opinion may be, to get a non-rescue rabbit. The best the pro-rescue amongst us can do is encourage a purchase from a responsible breeder.

Going to a breeder is your choice but, the person you've chosen doesn't sound quite right. You definately need to see where the rabbits are living and choose the rabbit from the litter yourself. Breed is about looks but if you want a rabbit with a particular personality eg one happy to be picked up you need to meet the rabbits and see how well handled they are.

If you go to the wrong breeder you can end up with rabbits that have genetic problems eg teeth/heart defects from bad breeding or health issues such as parasites from bad conditions.

Regardless of whether you are a troll or not I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum! :wave:
It would probably be better if you tried to find a local rescue as they'll be able to help you and match you up with a suitable bunny that needs a loving home. They'll also be able to find the type of bunny with the right character for you ( I often find baby rabbits change change their temprament when they become adults and it's nicer to get a rescued adult bunny who you know will have the temperament you want otherwise you might be disapointed when your baby buns doesn't grow up to be how you would've liked him/her to be) if that makes sense.

Sorry if you feel dazed by the sudden replies saying it isn't a good idea to buy from a breeder but I'm afraid most of the people on here are pro-rescue. :) x

Going to a breeder is your choice but, the person you've chosen doesn't sound quite right. You definately need to see where the rabbits are living and choose the rabbit from the litter yourself. Breed is about looks but if you want a rabbit with a particular personality eg one happy to be picked up you need to meet the rabbits and see how well handled they are.

If you go to the wrong breeder you can end up with rabbits that have genetic problems eg teeth/heart defects from bad breeding or health issues such as parasites from bad conditions.

I don't think they have chosen a breeder, I think they asked the pet store to order a bunny for them.

I don't think they have chosen a breeder, I think they asked the pet store to order a bunny for them.

The woman i am going to order my bunny off of said she doesnt get bunnys till around easter. So she said i can order one from her company and pay a 40dollar advance which is no problem :cry:

The woman i am going to order my bunny off of said she doesnt get bunnys till around easter. So she said i can order one from her company and pay a 40dollar advance which is no problem :cry:

Yeah but I think the woman must be the pet store owner or something because she/he says at the end of the post "Please dont comment and say i shouldnt get a bunny from the pet store because i am going to regardless."

Yeah but I think the woman must be the pet store owner or something because she/he says at the end of the post "Please dont comment and say i shouldnt get a bunny from the pet store because i am going to regardless."

:(

I am as pro-rescue as everyone else, however, as a pro-rescue forum we shouldn't be alienating rabbit owners on the basis of their current choices. Those owners with the right information and encouragement may choose to rescue rather than buy in the future.

I am as pro-rescue as everyone else, however, as a pro-rescue forum we shouldn't be alienating rabbit owners on the basis of their current choices. Those owners with the right information and encouragement may choose to rescue rather than buy in the future.

:thumb:

'Which colour should I order'? Are you having a laugh?!

Rabbits are not disposable commodities, they're not items of stock in a supermarket. They are living beings :evil:

As to what bunny you go for, that's up to you, and you will at least have time to read up on their care. PLEASE at least do this, for the rabbit's sake! (Maybe think of a pair, too- they're much happier that way).

'Which colour should I order'? Are you having a laugh?!

Rabbits are not disposable commodities, they're not items of stock in a supermarket. They are living beings :evil:

I'm appalled at your attitude, to be honest :?

I dont think wondering what color to get means they don't realize rabbits are living animals.

I agree that we shouldn't run newbies off just because they aren't pro rescue.

I just think its the manner in which the post was written has rubbed people up the wrong way..

The OP clearly knew that posting their last comment would invoke a reaction... and they havent posted since!! winding people up in the process having a good laugh probably..

The woman i am going to order my bunny off of said she doesnt get bunnys till around easter. So she said i can order one from her company and pay a 40dollar advance which is no problem. But i still have to figure out what type and color to order i heard the mini llops are very adorable and great sweet tempered but i would like a extremly soft bunny which is a rex but they have upright ears and i want one whith flopp ears. Please dont comment and say i shouldnt get a bunny from the pet store because i am going to regardless. :roll:

Get whatever breed and colour you want because you're buying from what sounds like an animal mill, you will be supporting a cruel trade and most likely end up with a very unhealthy, inbred rabbit

There are a lot of rescues in America, fair enough if you don't want to go to one, there are reasons some people may not, but if you're not going to go to a rescue would you maybe consider going to a small breeder where you can see their rabbits and how they're kept, see the parents of babies you're considering and get to know what kind of person the breeder is for YOUR benefit and the rabbits? If not, what about rehoming a rabbit from craigslist/preloved/freeads? And as an absolutely last resort go to a pet shop but please please not someone who pre-orders from a mill at Easter (the time when surprise surprise everyone wants to buy an easter bunny for their children which gets forgotten about after a month)

I dont think wondering what color to get means they don't realize rabbits are living animals.

But the way they have phrased it makes them sound like they're some kind of 'stock'. The idea of 'ordering' a rabbit doesn't sit right with me.

I'm all for responsible breeders, but this doesn't sound like one; the fact that there are choices of breeds, and there won't be any til Easter says that they're not focusing on lines of the rabbits. Instead, they're seen as a money-making device :(

I guess it's the language, but I for one did not like the OP's attitude. If you're going to go for a non-rescue that's fine, but try and find a good breeder where you know the parentage of rabbits, where babies are weaned at the right time, and where you know they are doing it for the good of the breed.

But the way they have phrased it makes them sound like they're some kind of 'stock'. The idea of 'ordering' a rabbit doesn't sit right with me.

I'm all for responsible breeders, but this doesn't sound like one; the fact that there are choices of breeds, and there won't be any til Easter says that they're not focusing on lines of the rabbits. Instead, they're seen as a money-making device :(

I guess it's the language, but I for one did not like the OP's attitude. If you're going to go for a non-rescue that's fine, but try and find a good breeder where you know the parentage of rabbits, where babies are weaned at the right time, and where you know they are doing it for the good of the breed.

Yeah they're not a responsible breeder, it sounds like the pet store is going to order from their 'company' i.e rabbit mill.

I agree that they should be going to a good breeder or free ads instead but maybe the OP doesn't know that pet store rabbits come from mills and that mill rabbits are unhealthy, kept in bad conditions, etc.

Ordering a bunny and stipulating a colour is how you order clothes isn't it, not a living animal. Of course they realise it is a living animal, they're just not bothered about that, only with how it looks.

Ordering a bunny and stipulating a colour is how you order clothes isn't it, not a living animal. Of course they realise it is a living animal, they're just not bothered about that, only with how it looks.

Ordering a bunny from a pet store is wrong but only because it's a pet store.

It's not wrong to order an animal from a responsible breeder or broker and to decide what breed and color you want. That doesn't indicate what kind of owner you are or that you're only bothered by how the animal looks. I know that the OP isn't ordering from a responsible breeder but the way you guys are acting is that it's wrong to order an animal period...

Back