• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed is our bunny?

EmilyC

New Kit
Hi everyone,
we collected Benji from a shelter yesterday and wondered if you wise rabbit-keepers could identify his breed. I think he looks like he's got some lionhead in him. Oh! I now see I'm not allowed to post attachments, is it because I'm a newbie? Any ideas?
Best
Emily

GNVynYr.jpg
Hope this works, there should be two pics!

Ooh thanks that looks right! He's very confident and friendly and our other rabbit (dwarf mini lop) is very excited. They are kissing through the sides of the run already and we only got Benji yesterday. The shelter said to wait three weeks before trying bonding, is this right?

Just to add, both are neutered, Lilac is female. He is in a run and hutch near her hutch and she is free-roaming in our garden.

Hi. You will need to introduce them in an area where your female hasn't been. If there is no fighting the best way is to keep them together 24/7. The male usually wants to chase the female for a couple of days to ensure she acknowledges that he is the boss. :thumb:

Hi. You will need to introduce them in an area where your female hasn't been. If there is no fighting the best way is to keep them together 24/7. The male usually wants to chase the female for a couple of days to ensure she acknowledges that he is the boss. :thumb:
Although IME he never ends up being the boss XD

Defo lion head x harlequin. Not unlike Leo our lion head harlequin x.
Beautiful colour and will be super friendly but probably easily spooked.:love:

Just to add, both are neutered, Lilac is female. He is in a run and hutch near her hutch and she is free-roaming in our garden.

Benji looks lovely.

Is Lilac put somewhere secure at night? I would be very cautious about free roaming due to cats or other predators. A pretty much constant eye on them is needed if free-roaming, even in the daytime.

Great thanks. How soon do you think we could start this? He has been home since Sunday. They sit near each other either side of the run partition. Also, our new bun is in a run but he's so confident and friendly that we let him out into a larger area yesterday and he started thumping so we put him back in after 5 mins. How long should we keep him in his run?

Last edited:
Yes, Lilac goes back in her hutch at night. We attempted to keep her in a smaller, secure enclosure but however high we built the fence or blocked the sides, she managed to escape. We should call her Houdini. At one point she managed to jump on the garage roof, I've no idea how. So now we have accepted that she is free-roaming! Our garden is very secure, and there are chickens and rabbits next door who have never been attacked so cross fingers. Not that we have any choice in the matter, Lilac is going to escape whatever we do. I'm just glad she happily goes into her hutch at night.

Haha my girl Primrose was like that. Only containable if she was happy with it.

I still haven't worked out how she was getting out of the cage. Luckily once we switched to a Manor Pet Housing pamper house she stayed in at night.

Blossom is showing similar tendencies and has worked out how to open her cage gate and the climbing carabina I use to secure it but then doesnt go anywhere once its open [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back