• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss in 6 yr old Rex, Kidney issues ruled out - what other causes?

tommo1975

Young Bun
Boris, my 6yr old Rex Cross, has been steadily losing weight in the last 18 months;

Feb 2012 - 3kg
Aug 2012 - 2.8kg
Sept 2012 - 2.75kg
Nov 2012 - 2.63kg
July 2013 - 2.4kg
Aug 2013 - 2.44kg
Dec 2013 - 2.31kg

Naturally I'm worried out this. He started soiling himself in the last couple of weeks and the vets scanned his bladder and ruled out bladder sludge or stones. They started to talk about kidney disease and I thought that might have been the reason for his weight loss, but thankfully he came back clear on the blood tests.

No sign of arthritis in his hips and legs either thankfully (I mentioned he'd been holding one leg funny on occassion since his castration in the summer).

His bloods did show an elevated white blood cell count, which they reckon could have been a UTI (hence the soiling) or caused by his urine scalds. He's currently on a 6 day course of Baytril for the infection, plus Metacam and F10 Cream on his scalds (which are healing nicely).

With Kidney disease being ruled out, I'm back to square one with regards to his weight loss. :( He's a very happy outdoor bunny, very good appetite, drinks well, (but not excessively), is very active and inquisitive and has bounced back from general anesthetic quickly twice in recent months, defying the vets predictions on both accounts that he'd need an overnight stay to recover.

On the vets notes his bloods showed "ALKP, glucose and TP are within normal levels according to the BSAVA rabbit medicine and Sx book", not that I know what ALKP or TP are! The glucose being within normal levels would appear to rule out diabetes wouldn't it?

His diet has hardly changed during the last 18 months, aside from unlimited hay, water and good amounts of redigrass, he's on 2 small handfuls of Excel a day (decided against limiting him to 1 eggcup as appears to be the general consensus on here due to his weight loss) and has small amounts of celery, carrot tops, basil, coriander, romanine lettuce and dill daily. His only treats are 3 Fenugreek crunches a day.

In light of all of this, does anyone have any ideas what might be causing his weight loss? The vets don't seem to be saying anything about it, other than commenting that he's lost weight.

If there is an infection, that could possibly be the cause of the weight loss. Tooth problems can be a cause as well, but you would see a drop in appetite.

If it doesn't turn out to be an infection causing the symptoms, parasites could be a possibility or e. cuniculi, which can also cause urinary issues.

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/weightloss.shtml

Back