• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We have FIVE (!!) new bunnies....questions!

SmidgesFamily

Young Bun
Hello all,

Well after losing Smidge we decided we wanted to offer a home to rescue bunnies ASAP. We're still gutted about Smidge and miss her lots, but we had a huge space just waiting for bunnies, and oodles of love.

Soooooo, I had a look on Rabbit rehome, and found a nearby rescue with lots of pairs. We decided to get a bonded pair for our big muti-storey hutch outdoors, and a wifey for our (now) House bun, Dougal (One of the "Dreadful day" buns from Honeybunnies).

We visited the rescue on Tuesday night, and ended up leaving with 5 bunnies :shock:

We now have a stunning black rex, and ex show bunny bless her, still with metal tag on leg :evil: (not sure if a mini or not? Shes huge!) who we have named Ebony (none of the buns had names) and who we introduced to Dougal and they have been living together ever since, no fighting, just a little fur pulling, and we are seeing more and more grooming and snuggling :)

And, a mother and her three 5 month old daughters, they are cross, not sure exactly what, but they are lop eared, harlequin coloured and have very long ears, and long faces. We have named these Poppy (Mummy), Fifi (pale blondey one), Primrose & Violet (2 greyer in colour, and always together) after the characters from Fifi, one of our daughters fave programs.

The rescue had LOTS of rabbits in small hutches, and I guess not a lot of handling, as they are all incredibly nervous.

Our family of four seem very close, none of them neutered, so I guess we need to get them done soon - how soon can female be done? Mum is 1, and babies are 5 months, will they remain bonded? Should I get them done all at the same time?

Also, one of the daughters (Fifi) seems VERY shy, she doesnt come out to eat when the rest do, she comes out after they have finished, and I left the hutch open for 1.5 hours yesterday for them to run round the garden, but she never came out. I do plan on taking them all to the vets soon to get checked over.

I cant quite beleive we came home with all 4. I'm worried about space. We are moving the hutch to a different area of the garden where they will have a huge enclosed, permenent secure run, the whole length of the garden, which i will let them have access to too constantly, apart from at night, when I think they will be safer sleeping in the hutch.

Ebony, well, she is incredibly nervous and timid, but I think, with time, she is going to get better. The sleeping area/food etc for our house bunnies are in the dining room which is open through into my kitchen, and when I enter the kitchen she scambles back into her nest box at high speed, she also growled at me several times yesterday when I tried to give her a stroke. Today she seems a little better, she is currently sat on the sofa beside me (her first time in our front room!) and has been nuzzled into my arm for the last hour, head down, ears back, with me gently stroking her, from her ears right down her back, her coat is amazingly gorgeous (Never seen a rex before now!) can I assume she is happy??? She would scramble away if she wasn't surely?? I have stopped stroking her to type this and she has actually scrambled onto my laptop trying to get my attention!!

She too is not neutered, she is 2. We need to get her done too. The lady at the rescue has all the bucks done, but none of the does as she doesn't believe in it apparently.

Dougal is a changed bun since we introduced Ebony! We are SO shocked, he has become so placid and chilled, and is becoming really confident. He seems SO much happier. I saw them grooming eachothers faces earlier on, it was magic.

Sorry for the long post. I guess my main questions are about the spaying, and also, whats the best plan for taming them? I understand they may never be cuddle buns (Though I have a sneaking suspicion that Ebony is a super cuddle bun in disguise!) but I feel so bad that the 4 girlies in the hutch are so terrified of us :(

Thanks for reading :)

Lise x x x

Ooh, I got some fabulous piccies of Dougal and Ebony in the garden tonight, will post them in relevent section later. (Or maybe tomorrow, why am I still awake!?)

They were from kirkby weren't they?

I love the little family of Mum and daughters, I saw them last time I was there :D I'm sure they'll come out of their shells with time and patience.

I think Ebony is a standard rex.

Mandyxx

As the girls are only young I'm sure with time and patience they'll come to know you... Pippa was the same when I got her and once spayed she calmed down and now is a different bunny

Well done for giving them all a home, I'm sure the lady at the rescue appreciates it, all rescues are snowed under with bunnies at the moment :(

Looking forward to piccies :)

I would give them a little while to settle into their new home before getting them spayed. I would try to get them done together though.

You're so lucky! I'd love 5 buns. Not sure what my 2 would think of 3 extra though!

Thinking about your hutch, it probably won't be big enough once they're all fully grown, perhaps you need to start planning an extension to it - have a look in the housing sticky, there are loads of good ideas there :)

Glad you took them for Kirkby and I'm sure they will have lovely lives now :D They will become tamer with more handling and love, you just need to have patience. I'd never cuddled a Rex until i went to Kirkby - they are so soft.

Yes they are all from Kirkby :)

If I had the space, I'd have bought them all home with me! I fell in love with so many of them.

My partner Matt was quite taken with the family of girls, and as they needed to be re-home together, and we do have room, we thought we would take them. And Ebony, well she was just too gorgeous to leave behind.

We are going to be moving the big hutch for the girls, extending it a little, and adding a large permenent run, so I think they will have plenty of space then.

My questions on spaying were, how old do the daughters need to be? Should we get all 4 done at the same time, or 2 at a time? And is it likely to affect their bond?

Lise x

There's loads of lovely bunns there :love: - I loved your girls and Ebony is beautiful (I go over occasionally to help out.)

Most vets will do them at 6 months old, but it can often be done younger.
I think I would personally get them all done at once- definetly don't seperate them unless its causing post surgery problems 9ie. they're being too boisterous) as yes it will affect their bond.

By the way, you could get Ebony's BRC ring cut off when she is spayed :)

So you've ended up with two housebunns and 4 outside ones :lol: :lol:
Mandyx

:lol: Yes we got rather more than we expected!

Dougal and Ebony are so entertaining, and I could watch the four girls for hours, lying all over eachother etc, its so sweet :)

Yes getting that ring off at the same time as spaying is a good idea. I think I am going to take her to get checked over next week anyway, as she seems to have very long claws, so I think they may need snipping, and as she quite nervous (And super strong!) I think it might be best if someone who knows what they are doing does them!

Ooooh mardy baby....of the human kind :wink: best go see to her...

Congratulations on all of your new arrivals!!! :D
I'm sure your girls will settle down once they are spayed and when they get used to you... I'd just sit by them quitely, and let them approach you. Perhaps tempt them over to you with some veg :D

Back