• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wat is the...........

Just been reading on Wiki that there is a lop breed called the Meissener that is very rare now, although I can't find a picture anywhere on t'internet :(

MeissnerA.jpg

There you go. Its rare in the Uk but there is still a fair number ont he continent. Lovely breed, one day when I have room I want to keep these.

Harlequin Dutch = Tri Colour Dutch

St Nicholas Blue is already extinct, along with many many others.

Aww, they are gorgeous :love: :love:

Thanks for the pic WalnutEarth :D Possibly a daft question, but how could you distinguish a Meissener from another type of lop? :oops: It must take a trained eye to pick out the differences.. :D

Aww, they are gorgeous :love: :love:

Thanks for the pic WalnutEarth :D Possibly a daft question, but how could you distinguish a Meissener from another type of lop? :oops: It must take a trained eye to pick out the differences.. :D

The Meissner is possibly one of the easiest to distinguish, they have white ticking throughout their coats, which none of the other breeds of lops do. They're ears are also rolled as opposed to open and their head and body shape is different. They are absolutely stunning.

But then I've been showing rabbits for 13 years, so i've got used to looking at the breeds and learning the differences. I can see how to the untrained eye they'd look the same. :) Particulary as thats not a very good photo.

This is a Harlequin Dutch. They are gorge:

4lq34lu.jpg

They look the same as the Tri-colours.....are they a seperate breed and if so what distinguishes them from each other?

I cant wait til next week for my two but even then I dont get to keep them for a fortnight :(

I've just been having a Google for rare rabbit breeds and apparently there is such a thing as a Harlequin Dutch! :shock: :love: That's got to be a man-made breed..?

EDIT: Does anyone know if the Harlequin Dutch is the same as a Tricolour Dutch? Ie. the same as the buns that are going to Sooz?? :love: :love:

Most if not all domestic breeds are man-made, descending from the european wild rabbit. I doubt a dutch would survive long in the wild due to its white areas. It's too easy to spot out in the bush.

Don't know about the english standard but in the norwegian standard harlequin is a colour-pattern on dutches, and not a seperate breed. The harlequin breed itself I think is extingt here, or at least very rare.

Most 'purbreeds' of rabbit are negineered by man from gene mutations which are cultivated over generations. Unfortunately some of them are just not a good idea (seen the RWA leaflet on long haired rabbits? Bred by man without natures common sense?) and due to this we have a lot of problems inherant in the rabbit population which are mainly our fault i.e teeth problems in lops, poor eyesight in REWs, heart/skin problems in Rexs....

Man kind has a tendency to breed animals that they find pretty but unfortunately just aren't doing very well.:cry:

Hairless rats and hamsters have problems keeping their heat, also the females tend to have problems with milk production.
That's why it's important not to breed animals with health problems, or animals who's mutations keep them from living a good life. (Like no fur)

Back