• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Was i wrong...

Situations like this are never clear cut, there are few definite rights and wrongs. As long as you did what you felt was best for autumn and for your other buns, rather than what was best for you, then no one could ask more of you.

What IS definitely wrong is for the person you refer to in your first post to have said such a nasty, insensitive thing to someone who is grieving over the loss of a beloved companion. Try to put them out of your mind, they're not worth the effort of worrying over.

Starlight this is highly inappropriate. Whats been said on another forum has been said. Perhaps Ann could have worded it slightly different, but whats done is done. You did all you could for Autumn and I respect the choice you made to give her a chance. I think Autumn herself was pretty out of context to the original post made, members were only thinking about the rest of your buns and worried about your quarrantine in case the myxi could have spread. You also never stated how you do your quarrantine which may have led to a bit of confusion.

Breeders and rescues will always have separate opinions and ways of doing things.

All due respect you need to get off your high horse starlight and treat people as equals. If you cannot be sival with others opinions than I suggest you pick a forum and stick to it and stop dragging useless, pointless arguements from one to the other

Starlight this is highly inappropriate. Whats been said on another forum has been said. Perhaps Ann could have worded it slightly different, but whats done is done. You did all you could for Autumn and I respect the choice you made to give her a chance. I think Autumn herself was pretty out of context to the original post made, members were only thinking about the rest of your buns and worried about your quarrantine in case the myxi could have spread. You also never stated how you do your quarrantine which may have led to a bit of confusion.

Breeders and rescues will always have separate opinions and ways of doing things.

All due respect you need to get off your high horse starlight and treat people as equals. If you cannot be sival with others opinions than I suggest you pick a forum and stick to it and stop dragging useless, pointless arguements from one to the other

Is this not what you are doing?

This thread will have to be locked if it continues the way it is going.

How very distressing on the day you got her ashes back :(

The problem as I see it is there are two different issues that have got combined here - to what degree you should fight with an ill rabbit is one issue and what is appropriate quarantine (including the vaccination status of other rabbits and rabbits in/out during and after active infection periods) is another.

On the second question, you already know my opinion on that. However on the first question, then no I don't think you were wrong to fight with her - Lou told me that every time she saw her she was always happy and bouncy and the photos looked much worse than the reality. What happened to Autumn at the end was distressing but unpredictable because she was vaccinated and recovering. You weren't trying to treat an unvaccinated rabbit, you were treating a vaccinated rabbit with a nodular form of the disease (albeit quite a severe case) and that is an entirely different kettle of fish to pressing on with trying to help an unvaccinated bun.

A most UNCIVIL post, In my opinion.
May I ask which forum you are going to choose? :?

I am really biting my lip here :censored:..... Maybe the person in question should worry more about the welfare of her own buns. Starlight is upset and has every right to post what she wants here.

What a nasty post. :evil:

Last edited:
I have every admiration for Kris - It was people like her that gave me the strength to fight for Diesel who was unvacinated and had 5 vets who wanted to pts straight away - however with love care and support from everyone here she's been discharged and very much alive. Kris you don't have live with what ifs you where amazing you should be proud of your decission and autumn knew she was loved - Don't ever doubt yourself Well done for every thing you did for your little girl :wave:
We had a friend who thought even trying with Diesel was wring gave my 15 year old lad a real ear bashing as she has Rabbits and said it was wrong - but i'm so glad we tried. It was hard for you kris but if she'd made it you'd be so proud hold on to the thought you did your absolute best.
Big hugs xx

The person on the other forum must be truly insane to think that you sat back and watched your rabbit suffer unbearably instead of putting her to sleep. You and everyone else on here know the reasons you carried on treating Autumn and they were valid and motivated from love and the belief that she could get better.

Everybody always likes to have an opinion and they sometimes don't care what opinion it is as long as they can feel powerful/get attention. This person is obviously just doing this and you'd do best to ignore them.

Grrr things like this just want to make me :censored::cry::censored:

yes everyone has their own opinions but at times like this things like that dont need to be said!

What a shame that a woman who tries to HELP people gets it all thrown back in her face... especially when she is feeling understandably fragile at the moment...

Chin up hun xxxx

You most certainly were not wrong. God forbid I'm ever in the same situation but I know I would do everything I could.

You knew her best, not some ignorant person who would probably "destroy" any animal of theirs at the slightest thing.

Ignore them hun x

Everybody has their own opinions on what they would do but as long as you know and feel what you did for Autumn was right then don't let others get to you.
Alot of people voice opinions but haven't actually been in the situation so don't worry about it

With all due respect, i am going to push you off your "high horse" with this:

Reworded slightly differently? With all the rolly eyed faces on her post, i know she was out for a personal attack bearing in mind mxyi is different to routinely quarantining a new bun. I offered advice on quarantining and she then started on her "high horse" though i see you aren't asking her to get down!

members were only thinking about the rest of your buns and worried about your quarrantine in case the myxi could have spread.

The thread was not about me, about my situation, or about my rabbits, therefore was irrelevant to the topic, and was a sweeping unprovoked attack regardless of wording.

If people wanted to know about my quarantine, pm me and ask, or start a thread asking me. Do not jump on me.

I am sorry but where does rescue V breeder come into this? All my views are made as an individual unless stated. Just because i run a rescue does not mean my posts should be looked differently upon to someone with just their own pets.

If you cannot be sival with others opinions than I suggest you pick a forum and stick to it and stop dragging useless, pointless arguements from one to the other

I believe none of your post has been cival, your post is mainly biased so assume you have picked a forum. Useless pointless arguments? I wanted unbiased opinions on what i did. If it was pointless, what has been the point in your reply?

I have never treated anyone on a forum as anything other than equal until something as such happens.

Inappropriate would be if i named and shamed both member and forum, neither of which i have done.

BUT, thank you for respecting my decision with Autumn, and seeing that i did everything physically possible to help her.

I have had a look at the thread being discussed and I find it really comical that BRC recommendations for myxi is being quoted by a breeder to question how a myxi case was handled at a rescue, as if the BRC is the higher authority on rabbit care. Of course, all members of the BRC are adhering to a six month rule:roll: Whilst looking at the other forum I located someone who I had previously encountered on here before she left. She too is a breeder, who is a member of the BRC and suffered a myxi outbreak. I had to rescue some bunnies from her because she carried on as normal, advertising bunnies for sale and not vaccinating her bunnies during the outbreak. Evidently the BRC recommendations are not being followed by its members.

I am not a member of the BRC and, whilst it allows backyard breeders to become members simply by filling in a form, I never will. All Starlights bunnies are vaccinated and she adhered to her vets recommendations regarding quarantine and care.

Last edited:
I dont think it is inappropriate to come on to a forum to say you are upset with how someone has reacted to you on another forum and to seek reassurance.

Kris wasnt out to 'name and shame' but rather to seek reassurance about something that was clearly emotive and upsetting. I'd do exactly the same. I havent seen this other forum and have no intention of trying to find out more, as that is not the point. The point is, Kris was upset by what was said and came back to a forum where she clearly feels more respected.

Kris, I am glad you feel much stronger in yourself and sure of your decisions and why you made them. You are a very courageous woman in my opinion.
Autumn was lucky you cared so much and so intensively for her.

I personally think no one else is qualified to make a judgement on you and what you did. The only people qualified are you and your vet.

If you feel that you followed your gut instinct on what was best for her then that's the important thing. No one can do more than that. I saw a few times when you questioned yourself, and that is exactly how you work out what is best; by questioning, and you did just the right thing by asking yourself.

If you feel maybe you didn't do the best thing for her, then again, that's not something anyone else should pass judgement on (including yourself), that is just something you should learn from.

However, it sounds like all the way through you did what you thought was best for her (from having read your thread about her, and this thread), and that's all anyone can do.

What more can you do other than do what you think is best for her?

To answer your question, I dont think you were wrong. If it was any other member of your family you'd do the same. You didnt just give up on her because of what she had and you did all you could to make it as comfortable and promising as you could do. That really does show how much you do care, and I wish all rabbit owners cared that much!

But on another note, of course I'm sorry about the loss of your bun but its not very fair slagging off another forum or other people. To me, forums are for help and fun but *I* do feel the way you started this thread was purely to get back at that person behind their back - not for the answer to your question. Yes, they were in the wrong for the comments they made which were obviously inappropriate - but you were in the wrong for going behind their back about them and their forum! if you don't like their forum, please just leave it. just dont go bitching about it and then go back and act like normal. I get really fed up of posting on forums because of this - I just like looking for advice but constantly come across many threads where people are argueing about different sets of opinions and forget what the thread was originally about - so not helping the person asking which really is a shame.

Benjamin, i don't believe i was slagging anyone or anything off, as i have not named the person, the forum or anything. The forum in question knows of this thread.

Kris you are having a really bad time with this and I am so sorry for you.

All of this has got way out of hand and the main issue is that you are a mummy that has lost her baby bun.

I saw Autumn (all be it briefly) in the vet's less than a week before she died and apart from the obvious signs, I thought that she looked in good spirits, I thought she looked happy and contented in your arms and I was certain that she was going to pull through.

On that day there is no way I would have considered putting your darling little girl to sleep. You did the right thing and I say that without question, she deserved the right to fight and you gave her that.

I can imagine you can't even think straight, I could see how exhausted you were and your brain must be spinning, it is not really fair that anyone should say nasty things to you at a time like this, even if they believe them to be true.

As for the quarantine issues, I really don't see the point of discussing it any further, all of your bunnies are fine, all of your rescue bunnies are fine and if they were going to have 'caught' it from Autumn, they would have done so by now, so forget what anyone is saying, I don't see why some people are dwelling on what might have happened, it didn't, the end.

You need to get on with your grieving now hun, give your other rabbits a nose rub and forget about this nonsense.

Thinking of you. xx

Back