• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vision, Smell & Sense Problems

joleslie

New Kit
Dora is now 11 years old and over the past couple*of months we've felt she was losing vision in her left eye quite rapidly. It has now gotten to the stage where she cannot see any food until it's at the very right of her, and she has to turn almost to look behind her before she can see the food

She doesn't seem to be able to smell or feel that food is in front of her anymore either

Here is a video with a few examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oC0nLA6Lpw

We went to the vets a few weeks ago (when it was bad but not quite this bad) and we did a trial of Loxicom as she's also been pooing*where she sits, not eating all of her cecotropes, and has lost a lot*of weight. They said it may be cancer, may be arthritis, but no way of knowing.

Would love to know if anyone's seen anything like this before?

I'm sorry to hear of your bunnies problems :( I have a deaf & blind bunny & I am forever grateful she has her sense of smell (i understand its their most important sense) - it must be difficult managing without all 3. I'm wondering if, given her age, dementia might be the cause. Vets can normally assess arthritis by physical exam & get further clarity from xrays

The vets didn't want to put her out just in case she doesn't come round from it, and I kind of agree. I think it would be a huge risk. They suggested she may have arthritis so gave us Loxicom pain relief to trial for a month, but it didn't seem to make much difference

In terms of dementia, she is still very much herself (excited and runs over when we come in the room, wanting to eat etc), she just struggles to find food. She does poo where she sits but still gets to the litter tray to pee, so the vets suggested the poo situation may be because of muscle problems around her bum. I was even beginning to wonder if she had lost feeling on her left side as when eating from a bowl of pellets, she often ends up pushing pellets out whilst looking for them, and doesn't even seem to be able to feel when I put a treat on the left side of her face

It's difficult to know what's wrong without taking the risk of putting her out :( We just want to make sure she's comfortable but bunnies hide it so well, we just don't know!

Last edited:
no i totally agree, I wouldn't give an 11 year old bunny a GA unless it was absolutely necessary. Some vets manage conscious xrays - mine are really good though & to date we've never had sedation just for xrays. It must be frustrating not knowing whats going on. Either way it looks like she is going to need lots of support with feeding. My late elderly bunny would poop where she sat but make it to the tray for wees

Did the Vet check for cataracts and also check the retinas of her eyes ?

Was a neurological work up carried out regarding her limb reflexes ?

From the video I can’t see evidence of her not being able to smell food, but a deficit in her ability to co-ordinate smell of food with its location due to a loss of vision in her left eye.

Causes for loss of vision include cataracts (common in elderly Rabbits), problems with the retina (back of eye) or a problem within the occipital lobe of the brain

Thank you all for your replies. Sadly Dora passed away yesterday, she was doing really well until Easter Sunday but on Monday took a turn for the worse and got to the stage where she was dropping her food, then was unable to eat and wasn't drinking etc either. We are devastated, she had the greatest personality and will be missed

Thank you all for your replies. Sadly Dora passed away yesterday, she was doing really well until Easter Sunday but on Monday took a turn for the worse and got to the stage where she was dropping her food, then was unable to eat and wasn't drinking etc either. We are devastated, she had the greatest personality and will be missed

I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

RIP Dora x

Back