• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Elmo please... He's passed away :'(

Oh no poor Elmo :cry: Did the Vet mention if surgical adhesions (from the first op) played a part in this second obstruction ? Rabbits form adhesions very quickly when abdominal surgery is carried out. In some cases a Vet will administer a calcium channel blocker, eg Verapamil, to try to reduce the formation of adhesions.

I do hope Elmo can recover, sending lots of vibes for him.

I hope that the girls are continuing to do well after their Dentals xx

Oh no :cry: sending lots of vibes, I hope he is recovering well. I hope the girls are still doing well xx

Elmo has passed away :'( I can't stop crying, I am completely and utterly heartbroken. I'm so sorry we couldn't save you my little man, I love you xxxxxx

I'm on my way home from London now, then we'll go see him. Should I take the girls with us so that they can say goodbye? They know when he's been in the vets before and have missed him, so I think it might be important. God, my poor little creme egg. My stubborn and determined little man. I can't believe you're gone.

I am so so sorry :cry:

Only you can judge if the girls need to see him. If you feel they do I would bring his little body back to them at home rather than taking them to him

:cry:

Thank you everyone xxxxxxxxxx

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

We're going to see him at 6:30pm when it's quiet, and take the girls with us to say goodbye. Can't believe this is happening.

I am so sorry Elmo could not get better. Thinking of you and sending a hug xx

Sleep well little Elmo xx

So so sorry for your loss.

I don't think you got anything wrong in his care for him to have had a second blockage though, so please don't beat yourself up with the what ifs. Apparently they are more prone to it happening a subsequent time than a rabbit that's never had surgery for it. Like Jane suggested adhesions *could* have contributed to it happening. There's also a very high chance of the blockage being a faecal pellet and I've yet to work out how to stop them from eating them. Rabbits digestive systems are just a nightmare and your boy was unlucky.

Back