• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Buster u/d shes gone

Poor Buster :cry:
If her tum has been empty for some time she might benefit from adding Ranitidine (Zantac) to her drug regime. It is an anti-GI ulcer med. A Buns stomach is normally very acidic and if it has been empty, even for a relatively short time, there is a risk of GI ulceration. This risk is exacerbated with the use of Metacam. Also, a beneficial side-effect of Ranitidine is that it has been found to increase the rate of gastric emptying. Ranitidine may not help, but I dont think it'd do any harm to try. Maybe you could give the Vet a call and ask ?

She's gone :cry: she went downhill last night so i phoned the vet who said theres nothing more she could do, she said to bring her back tomorrow (today) and it may be kinder to put her to sleep.
She had a bad night, wasn't pooing or eating on her own and i was up with her from 3 o'clock this morning, then around 6.30am i picked her up and wrapped her in a towel as she felt cold, it was as though she felt comfortable on her mom and ready to go cause she started jerking quickly like fitting, then she made wailing noises and started breathing through her mouth it was then that i knew what was coming, my floppy died in my arms almost a year ago. She then took her last breath, it was excruciating watching someone you love so much dying, i held her for a while, then my husband came back from work and we buried her.
Thank you for all your healing wishes, unfortunately she was just too weak and couldn't fight any longer, i will love her for the rest of my life and i am really struggling to cope, she was my world as well as my husbands world as he loved her as much as me.
R.I.P Bust my baby girl. your at the bridge now x

I am so sorry for your sad loss of a your beloved Buster.:( Words fail me at how painful it must of been to watch her but please know you were with her when she went.

Binky Free Buster x x x

I am so very sorry :cry:

You can shed tears that she is gone
or you can smile because she has lived.

You can close your eyes and pray that she’ll come back
or you can open your eyes and see all she’s left.

Your heart can be empty because you can’t see her
or you can be full of the love you shared.

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can remember her and only that she’s gone
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.

You can cry and close your mind,
be empty and turn your back
or you can do what she’d want:
smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

David Harkins, © 1981
Silloth, Cumbria, UK

I'm so very sorry, poor Buster. :cry: It must be heartbreaking for you. Lots of hugs to you and I hope you're okay.

Binky free Buster.

I'm so very sorry to hear this news.

Your heart must be breaking. I think you're right, that Buster felt comfortable in your arms, she knew she was safe, she wasn't scared with you there and that she could go.

You did all you could. You could not have done anymore.

What a lucky bun to have such loving, caring and devoted parents.

Big hugs to you and your hubby.

xx

I'm so sorry. You couldn't have done any more for your lovely bunster. She was loved and cherished.:)

Thank you for all your support and that poem was beautiful jacks jane.
I'm in such a dark place, I'd have done anything to save her, sell anything to pay vet bills but the vet said theres no more that she could do. The vet had known her all her life and had helped her with her E.C and also removed her uterine cancer and spayed her. I'm just hurting so much, I can't eat and don't think i'll ever smile again.
I went and ordered a plaque today to put on the rememerance bench i have in my garden where floppy has her plaque. I chose the words 'BUSTER' gone to the bridge now but one day we'll meet again 2002-2009.
My husband is also going to make a cross for her, and i can visit her as often as i like.
Poor Sooty is also heartbroken but i'm paying him as much attention as i can and he has started to eat again.

When i'm ready i will post in the rainbow bridge section.

Thanks again,

Pen x

Last edited:
Back