• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHd and the combined vaccine????

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
coco was a 6 year old bun who has always been vaccinated and 9 months ago had the combined vaccination. he died suddenly and when the vet opened him up he had enormous multiple cysts on his liver. he sent it all off to azoology path lab and the results came back as biliary cyst melanoma leading to acute liver failure typical of VHD. I Know last year there was a bid debate about the efficacy of the combined vacc especially for rabbits previously vaccinated for VHd. Does anyone know how that debate end? Was there thought to be a problem? Coco,s companion had modular maxi a few years ago but she is ok now. Could Coco have had nodular maxi at some point and his immune response to the combined vaccine was the problem? struggling for some answers.....

coco was a 6 year old bun who has always been vaccinated and 9 months ago had the combined vaccination. he died suddenly and when the vet opened him up he had enormous multiple cysts on his liver. he sent it all off to azoology path lab and the results came back as biliary cyst melanoma leading to acute liver failure typical of VHD. I Know last year there was a bid debate about the efficacy of the combined vacc especially for rabbits previously vaccinated for VHd. Does anyone know how that debate end? Was there thought to be a problem? Coco,s companion had modular maxi a few years ago but she is ok now. Could Coco have had nodular maxi at some point and his immune response to the combined vaccine was the problem? struggling for some answers.....

Goodness :? :cry:

On the vaccine data sheet it says this:

Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination.

I had my vet on the phone so I,m a bit clearer. Coco had two problems. He had biliary cysts which, had we known about them , could have been removed but he also sub acute hemeretic hepatitis (excuse my spelling). That could be caused by a massive sudden infection, something toxic he ate or, and this is interesting, chronic VHd. - the same idea as nodular maxi only with VHd so his body fought the VHd as he was vaccinated but was overwhelmed. he died under anesthetic when he was being x rayed so i guess his little body had just had enough. The lab couldn't,t do further tests as his tissues would need to have been frozen. The good news is that none of this is infectious so our other buns are safe. my vet does not think it was a problem with the vaccine.

As far as I know the new vaccine only has a possibility of lesser coverage for VHD if the european myxi vaccine had been used previously, not the UK version.

I had my vet on the phone so I,m a bit clearer. Coco had two problems. He had biliary cysts which, had we known about them , could have been removed but he also sub acute hemeretic hepatitis (excuse my spelling). That could be caused by a massive sudden infection, something toxic he ate or, and this is interesting, chronic VHd. - the same idea as nodular maxi only with VHd so his body fought the VHd as he was vaccinated but was overwhelmed. he died under anesthetic when he was being x rayed so i guess his little body had just had enough. The lab couldn't,t do further tests as his tissues would need to have been frozen. The good news is that none of this is infectious so our other buns are safe. my vet does not think it was a problem with the vaccine.

It sounds as though Coco was just desperately unlucky :cry: I am really sorry :cry:

Back