• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vets with bisc - bladder issues yet again u/d p49

I've been meaning to come here and top up vibes for Bisc's full and swift return to health. :love:
Mimzy is such a metacam junkie. He practically takes the syringe from my hand and runs off with it. But Pip is combative and just last night boxed it away. I was shocked that she was so angry about taking it because I know it makes her feel better. It wasn't as if I'd snuck up on her with it either. :? What a madam! :roll:

I wonder too...have you ever noticed whether Bisc has urine that burns or stings if you get it in a cut on your hand? This happened to me last night while cleaning out Pip's litterbox. I almost dropped it because the pain was like fire and it was only a little cut on my fingertip. Even iodine doesn't burn that bad. I wonder if something like that could have to do with their urine ph and maybe indicates illness in the bunny?

I saw the pics of him pulling out his hay :love: he's a lovely little lad. It's good he seems well in himself :) I must admit I still find it adorable that he begs for his treats :love: bunnies are clever x

it's not a clear pic, but so you can see what he does:

SP_A1084_zpsf7e52a8b.jpg

:lol: many many times a day :love:

eta: if you're not paying attention, he spins on the spot :lol:

Last edited:
I've been meaning to come here and top up vibes for Bisc's full and swift return to health. :love:
Mimzy is such a metacam junkie. He practically takes the syringe from my hand and runs off with it. But Pip is combative and just last night boxed it away. I was shocked that she was so angry about taking it because I know it makes her feel better. It wasn't as if I'd snuck up on her with it either. :? What a madam! :roll:

I wonder too...have you ever noticed whether Bisc has urine that burns or stings if you get it in a cut on your hand? This happened to me last night while cleaning out Pip's litterbox. I almost dropped it because the pain was like fire and it was only a little cut on my fingertip. Even iodine doesn't burn that bad. I wonder if something like that could have to do with their urine ph and maybe indicates illness in the bunny?

does mimzy keep trying to get more even though the syringe is long ago empty?! :roll::lol: they're just adorable aren't they? even madam bunnies! :love: i used to have a syringe in each hand and a matt and a bisc resting their paws on each knee, drinking their metacam. :love: i wish i'd recorded it now.

maisie piggy was so funny with her syringe. she clamped her teeth over it and wouldn't let me have it back. :lol::love:

you do know that i'm now going to have to put bisc's wee on my hand. 'luckily' i have cuts on my hands at the moment from bites and eczema (i look adorable :roll:) and see if it burns! :oops: i'll update :thumb:

does mimzy keep trying to get more even though the syringe is long ago empty?! :roll::lol: they're just adorable aren't they? even madam bunnies! :love: i used to have a syringe in each hand and a matt and a bisc resting their paws on each knee, drinking their metacam. :love: i wish i'd recorded it now.

maisie piggy was so funny with her syringe. she clamped her teeth over it and wouldn't let me have it back. :lol::love:

you do know that i'm now going to have to put bisc's wee on my hand. 'luckily' i have cuts on my hands at the moment from bites and eczema (i look adorable :roll:) and see if it burns! :oops: i'll update :thumb:

Oh dear...now that wasn't what I had in mind...I just wondered if you'd noticed by happenstance! :shock::lol:

Hmm...bunny pee as treatment for harvest mite bites? Erm...no. Think I'll stick with hydrogen peroxide. :lol: :thumb:

Mimzy does try to get more metacam even when the well is dry. But once it's gone, he's gone...foot flicking all the way. :lol: And oh yes I'd best not be late with it or it's time for a little bunny DIY on the flooring! :shock:

:love: the characters of these bunnies is brilliant. Have to admit I'm fond of a madam personality too :love:

Aww just look at him begging for his treats, what a sweetheart

quick update - we have seen a real change in bisc being on this course. i don't think it's coincidence. he's much brighter, more energetic, no bladder symptoms at all, and his poops are looking fantastic. it's making me wonder if this could be tum/poop related rather than bladder. or i suppose it could be just because he's feeling better.

but he's so full of energy, bright and happy. :D:love: i really think he must have had something. maybe very slight, but enough to upset him.

i'll be weighing him at the end of the course, but we think he looks 'fuller' so that's great :thumb:

What medicine is Bisc on now? Pleased he's getting better.

Doughnut loves her medicine, this is how she takes it.

[video]http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Doughnutpic/media/video-2013-09-11-18-23-29_zps7cd5eb62.mp4.html[/video]

What medicine is Bisc on now? Pleased he's getting better.

Doughnut loves her medicine, this is how she takes it.

[video]http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Doughnutpic/media/video-2013-09-11-18-23-29_zps7cd5eb62.mp4.html[/video]

aw that video is adorable :love: bisc will take his metacam like that but not the septrin. i have to syringe that into his mouth for him but he's fine about it once i have caught him :lol::love:

So glad to hear Bisc is doing better! :)
What is Septrin, please? That's an antibiotic, right? I can't keep up between the different names that different countries have for their pharmaceuticals. :lol:

Mimzy actually does better on Baytril than off. He used to get some nasty bladder goop that only this abx would clear up but since we switched up hays after the harvest mite scare he's doing so much better, they all are. Everybun is eating orchard grass currently. (Or at least Pip and Fiver will be once their dental pain goes. :( )
I was amazed that their timothy hay somehow was making their urine very thick and dark in color. Maybe because it was poor enough quality that it was full of bugs! :shock:

So glad to hear Bisc is doing better! :)
What is Septrin, please? That's an antibiotic, right? I can't keep up between the different names that different countries have for their pharmaceuticals. :lol:

Mimzy actually does better on Baytril than off. He used to get some nasty bladder goop that only this abx would clear up but since we switched up hays after the harvest mite scare he's doing so much better, they all are. Everybun is eating orchard grass currently. (Or at least Pip and Fiver will be once their dental pain goes. :( )
I was amazed that their timothy hay somehow was making their urine very thick and dark in color. Maybe because it was poor enough quality that it was full of bugs! :shock:

septrin (co-trimoxazole) is an antibiotic. it's definitely helping. makes me wonder why though because i have no clue what the issue is :shock: and nothing shows on tests :?

the way bisc is now is like the old bisc, before we lost matt. maybe that has contributed in some way. although matt is here alot. :love:

i forgot to update this :shock: bisc finished his septrin and higher metacam course and the difference has been really great. the bladder symptoms have all gone and his poops are bigger. he's got alot more energy and isn't just lying down alot. he's back to being bright and happy, he's jumping up on things and overall he just seems brilliant. :thumb:

i have no clue what was going on, but maybe he did have a mild infection this time. whatever it was, he's much better now after the septrin. :)

i forgot to update this :shock: bisc finished his septrin and higher metacam course and the difference has been really great. the bladder symptoms have all gone and his poops are bigger. he's got alot more energy and isn't just lying down alot. he's back to being bright and happy, he's jumping up on things and overall he just seems brilliant. :thumb:

i have no clue what was going on, but maybe he did have a mild infection this time. whatever it was, he's much better now after the septrin. :)

Brilliant news !! :D

the only thing that hasn't changed is his lower weight. he's 2.155kg now. so he's staying stable at this lower weight but he's alot lower than he should be really. i am thinking it is to do with the profibre though and this is just what his weight is without being on them. he has one teaspoon of them once a day now. the plus side of switching has been that he hasn't had a dodgy tummy episode or excess caecs in months and months now. his tummy is alot more stable. if he stays doing well then i may try adding another teaspoon of profibre in place of one of his oxbow teaspoons and see if his tummy copes and it helps him gain a little more weight. his absolute lowest should be 2.25kg. ideal weight is 2.3kg.

Glad he's doing well overall :) did the vet advise on his weight at all? Hopefully he will get back up to his ideal weight again. Perhaps he's just been eating less from not feeling 100%? Fingers crossed for him :)

Glad he's doing well overall :) did the vet advise on his weight at all? Hopefully he will get back up to his ideal weight again. Perhaps he's just been eating less from not feeling 100%? Fingers crossed for him :)

it could be that actually. he drops weight quite easily and he's always had trouble keeping his weight up. i'm not sure why, and neither is the vet. it just seems to be the way he is. i do wonder if he has spurs starting as he's prone to those. but he doesn't usually drop this low with spurs. something was definitely going on so i'm hoping that now he's better, he will start to gain weight again. he was on profibre for years so he was bound to drop weight coming off them and onto oxbow.

he's been outside again today and usually comes in after 20mins max, but today he stayed out for over an hour, just grazing and looking content :love: with o/h and i guarding him. :oops::love:

Back