• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets & EC

Jacqueline122

Warren Scout
Does anybody know if I can request medication from the vets without taking Molly in? She's only got panacur for EC but I want to get anti inflammatory and anti biotics (incase of eat infection).

I don't want to take her in because it stresses her out and she's already having a hard time!

Although Panacur is available 'over the counter', medications such as anti-inflammatories (eg metacam) and antibiotics are prescription only, so you would need to take her to see a vet for it to be prescribed, if they are the appropriate drugs for that animal / condition. Animals have to be seen 6 monthly even for repeat prescriptions (including some flea treatments). You could always ring and ask for advice, though.

Do you have any mobile vets in your area?
Then you wont have to stress your rabbit out with the travel to the vets.
Just an idea....

If she was seen for the panacur then they may give you some, but if not then you will need an appointment as they will need to examine bun x

It depends on the vet and your relationship with them. Mine will prescribe me meds for ongoing problems or if it's something he trusts I can identify. I agree though that if she's been seen and prescribed panacur then they will probably let you come and pick up the other meds as they know what it's for. On the other hand though they might not prescribe them if they haven't already as presumably they are favouring a different treatment regime. If you say where you are someone could maybe recommend a savvy vet who might prescribe some for you if you explain everything.

Vets are not able to prescribe prescription only medicines without seeing an animal. It is against the professional code and would not be responsible use of antibiotics (a subject close to my heart). I would phone ahead and explain that you are worried about the stress and you may be able to wait in the car to avoid waiting in the waiting room with dogs and cats.

Back