• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vetbed

EffyDaydream

Warren Scout
I got my Lionhead a couple months ago and I've tried several different beddings for him. I started of with newspaper and straw (I always use newspaper underneath as it makes cleaning a lot easier), but I figured it didn't work very well for litter training him as you couldn't see where he'd done his business and also it doesn't absorb anything. Next I moved on to sawdust (wood shavings) as I thought it would work better for litter training and it's what I use with my other furry critters (apart from my rat), but because he's so fluffy, being a lionhead, it all just got stuck to him and ended up all over the place. Then I tried the Back 2 Nature recycled paper pellets, I thought it worked quite well, but one bag doing my rat and my rabbit cage once is a bit pricey compared to things I'd used before. I've changed the litter box around so there are litter pellets in there and thats where his hay is too (no longer in a holder, as he sits there eating it and pooing at the same time). I've seen people who use fleece with towels and puppy pads, but that all sounds a bit too expensive and a lot of cleaning to do. Recently I've been looking around the internet and I discovered vetbed; there were such great reviews as far as use with rabbits goes and I found some attractive giraffe print vetbed online at half the price of the plain one they sell at Pets At Home, so I ordered it. I just wanted to know about peoples experiences with it and how it's best used (do people put anything under it and stuff like that). Hopefully it'll keep my bun clean (apart from the hay he collects in his beard :lol:) and comfortable! Oh and how easy is it to cut down to the right size? I know that's a lot of nonsense to read, but thanks!! :thumb:

:wave: Hi, I use just Lino on the floor with no bedding, then litter trays put in the areas where they go to the toilet. The main tray is where their hay rack is, as they eat and poop at the same time their :D
in the litter trays I use wood pellet cat litter, it's cheap if you buy non branded stuff from the supermarket or Pets at home sell it in huge bags. If you buy it as cat litter it's cheaper than the small animal one but it's the same stuff ;)
a lot of people just use newspaper in their litter trays with hay on top, but my bunnies don't like eating their hay from their litter tray :roll:
Then I have a cosy bed of vet bed, I put a thin layer of wood pellet cat litter under that in case they wee on it.
I find cleaning out is much easier that way, tip out litter trays, a quick sweep around to get any stray poos and it's done :thumb:

Well it arrived yesterday and I've put it in, with newspaper underneath. He's quite good with his litter tray and does pretty much all his business in there (well, today he seemed to think my bed was a great place to wee :roll:). It looks really nice (I got giraffe print hehe) and it's so soft... His cage looks like a little lad pad now. :lol: There is no sawdust stuck in his beard now, but he still gets hay everywhere haha. It's a lot easier to tidy it up on the vetbed though. Generally really impressed at the moment, will have to see how it goes with washing and such. :thumb:

I've just ordered some vetbed too, excited for it to arrive.:)
Please keep me posted how your bun gets on with it.

Here are some pictures of his cage (he has free-roam of my room most of the time). He used to have a plastic bed which had the towel with a little cushion in it, but he just pushes it out the way and will only sit in it when it's not in his cage aha... so don't be thinking he doesn't have a bed. ;)

I've just ordered some vetbed too, excited for it to arrive.:)
Please keep me posted how your bun gets on with it.

I find it's really easy to tidy up. When he gets hay all over it, it's so easy to gather it up in your hand (it doesn't get stuck like it can in some fabrics) or you could hoover it up in 2 seconds. I think my bun was unsure at first, but I've seen him flopping down on it recently, so it must be comfy. It'll be great to keep him warm now it's getting a bit nippy outside! :thumb:

I use vet bed in my bunnies cage or I just use an old blanket . They much prefer it to hay/straw which they used to push out the way to lie down ! Frank wouldnt even go in his cage when I tried shavings ! I use a dog crate now with the vet bed or blanket and they both love it :) although tend to sleep on the rug in the lounge most of the time as they are free range .
a4ujebyd.jpg

I use vet bed in my bunnies cage or I just use an old blanket . They much prefer it to hay/straw which they used to push out the way to lie down ! Frank wouldnt even go in his cage when I tried shavings ! I use a dog crate now with the vet bed or blanket and they both love it :) although tend to sleep on the rug in the lounge most of the time as they are free range .
a4ujebyd.jpg

What a great set up that looks. Going to get vet bed for my outdoor rabbits' hutch. That looks sooooo cosy.

Mine always preferred the rugs when they were indoors. After a few months they started chewing them though ...

Thanyou :)Yea my bunnies like to dig on the blanket inside their house but luckily dont actually chew it they just rip holes in it . They cant do that on the vet bed though. Also vet bed is machine washable too so cleaning them out is easy peasy :)

Back