• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet in Richmond, Surrey? Previous vet says vaccinations not needed....

If they can come inside on your clothes, what stops them coming in during the six months they are not necessarily covered for? I would suggest having 6 monthly if you vaccinate at all, otherwise it's not complete peace of mind.

From my understanding the vaccination covers them for the whole year, but getting it every 6 months just means it's stronger which is better for bunnies in high risk areas. I may of course be wrong.
My outdoor bunnies are vaccinated every 6 months.

Barney now has an appointment next Friday for part 1 of his vaccinations at the vets in Twickenham.
Thanks for all your replies!

I did say that someone had recommended me! The receptionist would've thought I was mad if I'd said Bavarian Bunny :lol:

From my understanding the vaccination covers them for the whole year, but getting it every 6 months just means it's stronger which is better for bunnies in high risk areas. I may of course be wrong.
My outdoor bunnies are vaccinated every 6 months.

Ah I see, I will now admit to not knowing an awful lot about this subject :rolleyes: I just assumed the six monthly booster was a good precaution against the previous one wearing off.

I'm not even sure whether I'm in a high risk area, Bobbin is also a house bun... but I just could not live with myself if I didn't take all precautions. Call me paranoid! :lol:

Ah I see, I will now admit to not knowing an awful lot about this subject :rolleyes: I just assumed the six monthly booster was a good precaution against the previous one wearing off.

I'm not even sure whether I'm in a high risk area, Bobbin is also a house bun... but I just could not live with myself if I didn't take all precautions. Call me paranoid! :lol:

Jane has just provided the data sheet for the Nobivac Myxo vaccine in another post.

It says:
Duration of immunity: The duration of immunity was established as 6 months.

So presumably if you are going to give the vaccine it's pointless to do it only once a year, because they would be at threat for half of the year anyway :?

I think 6 months is sometimes recomended because like food, they have to put an imunity ceases by date which is cautious but there is probably some immunity left after and mixi is generally a seasonal disease because the critters that carry it should be inactive between nov/dec and march/april.

So presumably if you are going to give the vaccine it's pointless to do it only once a year, because they would be at threat for half of the year anyway :?

Well it's not pointless as it does provide cover for half the year - the theory in the past has been that if you vaccinate once a year in around May, it will cover the peak biting insect season from May-Oct so the bun is protected over that time. The rest of the year is supposed to be less risky as the cold kills off the mosquitos, flies etc. Although now vets are saying they see myxi all year round so it's better to be safe than sorry and give 6 monthly boosters.

Thanks!

Bavarian Bunny, I am in Kew (Kew Road). The vet I used before was the one in Kew Road (I think it's called PG Andre?). I might try the one in Twickenham, yes please can I have the address?

Bev Bunny I will look into that one too!

Do you mind PMing me the Vets name who you asked??

m
xx

I think 6 months is sometimes recomended because like food, they have to put an imunity ceases by date which is cautious but there is probably some immunity left after and mixi is generally a seasonal disease because the critters that carry it should be inactive between nov/dec and march/april.

Yes, I see what you mean. So they are saying that the vaccination is pretty much guaranteed for 6 months, but could well last longer?

Think I'm just paranoid! :rolleyes:

Well it's not pointless as it does provide cover for half the year - the theory in the past has been that if you vaccinate once a year in around May, it will cover the peak biting insect season from May-Oct so the bun is protected over that time. The rest of the year is supposed to be less risky as the cold kills off the mosquitos, flies etc. Although now vets are saying they see myxi all year round so it's better to be safe than sorry and give 6 monthly boosters.

Ok, so "pointless" was a little harsh :oops: what I meant is what you say about being safe rather than sorry.

Yes, I see what you mean. So they are saying that the vaccination is pretty much guaranteed for 6 months, but could well last longer?

Think I'm just paranoid! :rolleyes:

I spoke to my vet about this myxi vax and she said that the manufacturers have said that the immunity built up by the vaccine only lasts 6months. Originally they thought it could last a year and so only recommended areas at risk to have it done every 6 but now they're saying everybun should have it done twice a year.

Back