• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very sad story - myxomatosis advice please

I too have to make decisions in the middle of the night - I'm a hospital doctor. However, these decisions are made within my field of expertise. I have no experience at dealing with sick animals, and so I had to rely on the advice of the vet.

It's definitely not a decision I'd have taken in the daytime. I was told by a professional to put it out of its misery at that time, and did it the only way I know how. I'm convinced it died instantly.

With hindsight, I probably shouldn't have stopped. The bunny would have been run over anyway. But by stopping, I hope I showed the bunny some love in his final moments, even though he didn't know what was going on.

I'm sorry I've upset some of you, but I can assure you that my partner and I are far more upset about this whole situation.

I think you did the right thing. It sucks that you had to do that and it's horrible to think about but not all things come to happily ever after solutions. The rabbit stood no chance of living so the only question was how quickly it could be put out of its misery.

I very much doubt at that time of night the RSPCA would have come out. If your lucky they may have come out on a Saturday morning - depends how well covered the area was and what else they were dealing with. You'd already tried the vet.

If you knew how to break the rabbits neck that may have been a better option but I certainly wouldn't have liked to try that for the first time on a live animal with dodgy phone instructions.

I imagine you didn't have a gun handy in the car?

If you hit a rabbit squarely with a car it will be killed as instantly as a gun shot would.

You had to do a horrible thing in a horrible situation. Of course you're now thing 'what if' or 'maybe I should have' and to some extent that can help you learn but you did your best in a pressured situation so don't beat yourself up over it.

Tamsin

Tamsin said:
I imagine you didn't have a gun handy in the car?

If you hit a rabbit squarely with a car it will be killed as instantly as a gun shot would.

No gun in the car (good point )

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :roll: Is being shot in the head a 100% sure thing EVERY time. :cry: :?

greybunny I know how you feel, I had to finish off a squirrel once that the car in front had hit in the head (no details needed :cry: ).

bun

dont feel bad about this ..you did do the right thing ..you put it out of it's misery the quickest way you could. A few years ago I was in the same situation and I used a large stick on the back of the bunnies neck..it was a horrible thing to have to do but I did it for the sake of the bunny. And if this upsets some people ..well it upset me too having to do it .
As for your buns..yes with hindsight you shouldn't have taken the sick bun home and Mxyi can be spread easily but as yours are vacs. they should be ok..just watch out for signs and if any occur take them straight to a vet..but not the one who refused to come out!
Well done for dealing with a bad situation the best way you could and putting the welfare of the poor little bunny above everything else.

Having had a bunny with myxi i find it very sad reading about buns with it,my vet told me that rabbits with myxi are not in any pain even though they look terrible,when william had it even though he couldnt see he knew what was going on everytime i came into the room he ran to me, i couldnt of done what you did, i think i would of waited untill morning then took it to a vets,whatever the reason i couldnt run any animal over or infact dont think i could kill one myself.

:? I couldn't take a life no matter what the circumstances. I'm afraid I can't agree with your decision to do that, there are always other options. :?

Edit to clarify: I'm not against humane euthanasia but it should be done by someone qualified.

If the vet had told me to wait until morning and then bring it in, that's exactly what I would have done. As it is, she told me to kill the bunny there and then to end its suffering. So someone much more qualified and experienced made the decision, who am I to argue? Perhaps it wasn't the best way of doing it, but there's no way I could have done it the way she was asking.

please try not to beat yourself up about this, you obviously felt you were helping this poor animal, and having grown up out in the sticks I know how awful it is to find a bunny in this state, my dad and I came across hem countlessly out walking in the fields etc, and he used to either brake their necks or hit them with a stick etc.... what else can you do if you dont have as Tamsin said a gun to hand. The worry is too, braking an animals neck isnt an easy thing to do, 1. you may not be sure how to do it properly and swiftly, and worry you may do it half right and have to try again...not nice. or 2. just not have the stomach or courage to do it, not something to be ashamed of, I dont think I could, even having seen my dad do it.

:cry: Well im not giong to put my feelings down, who know how they would react in such a situation, im sorry for you to have been in that position, you thought at the time it was for the best. :cry: val

First of all, I never believe in the concept of kiling a living soul to end its suffering. I believe every type of life is precious, human life, animal life or even trees for that matter.

To end a life from suffering is like saying if you suffer from terminal cancer, I'll run you over w/ my car. I think that decision can only be made from the person who's suffering.

Since a rabbit can't talk, there is no way of knowing that rabbit wants to end her own life.

And I found it absurd that a diagnosis can be done over the phone. This vet should be fired as he has no caring about animal life.

I always thought if there is an animal that's suffering and w/o knowing it is in fact dying, the least we have to do is to give that animal the emotional care that we can provide.

I'll bring it home w/ a heating pad to warm up the rabbit, w/ syringe to feed some water. That way, even if the rabbit's sickness is terminal and there is no cure, I know and the rabbit knows she died peacefully w/ someone that show love and care, and take cares of her final moment. Psychologically speaking to the rabbit, I found that to be very important.

I remember 10+ yr. ago, one of my bird was sick (and turned out she passed away shortly after) and lying at the bottom of the cage, the other bird fly down to show his love to the one that is lying at the bottom of the cage. So I learned back then, even among animals they show compassion towards one another.

As to the case in hand, why not let the rabbit sit around in the house, nice and warm and bring it to a vet the next morning? Knowing the vet is clearly an uncaring person, I wouldn't be so sure that his PHONE diagnosis is right to begin with. What if it's not myxi, what if it turns out to be something else entirely? And even if it is, say if the outcome of letting a rabbit stay overnight allows some vet treatment the next morning and prolong the life for even a few days, I'll take it.

Sometimes, little animals in the wild has certain chemical in their system to release itself to end its own life if they believe it is necessary.

I once took care of a sick sparrow in my backyard and she was being killed by a magpie because she was sick to begin with. After I intercept it, and let the vet took care of the sparrow, the bird has some sort of self release chemical inside her body, and the bird must be ignited that chemical and terminate her own life peacefully.

Have you ever heard of any doctor making a diagnosis over the phone and make a judgement saying, don't bother come down, just end the patient's life? But having said that, it took a lot of courage to write the story like that, and for what it is worth, this story should give us the experience to learn what the right thing to do would be if it happens in our life in the future.

Happy Hopping said:
Sometimes, little animals in the wild has certain chemical in their system to release itself to end its own life if they believe it is necessary.

What sort of animal is this? Some times an animal that has been so stressed because an illness or injury (i.e. it has been suffering) will die of shock but they'd can't kill themselves deliberately with a thought.

Remember this is a wild animal not a pet - your rabbits might appreciate cuddles and human caring but to a wild animal the opposite is true. Being around people, taken into a human environment or going to a vet etc. are stressful frightening experiences not peaceful at all.

The rabbit was going to die, myxy is easily identified and a wild animal needs to be 100% healthy to survive.

I'm glad your rabbit died peacefully, that's the best way to go but dying isn't always like that. Sometimes it's pain and suffering and swift end is the only peace available.

Tamsin

Sometimes, little animals in the wild has certain chemical in their system to release itself to end its own life if they believe it is necessary.QUOTE

sorry have we moved on to fairy stories? val

Doesn't rabbit has this kind of chemical inside them? My 2nd rabbit, 5 yr. ago, died of what appeared to be a seizure, within a few minutes. To this date, I always believe they have the mean to release that sort of chemical if they believe they are in great stress or under attack being killed by a lion say.

In my case, it is like a "false alarm" and she release that to kill herself because she turned out to be a weak gene pool rabbit (the breeder is stupid, they keep breeding the same rabbits w/o bringing outside rabbit in the gene pool).

No animal can make itself die, it can give up the fight to a degree like humans can you loose the strength to fight but but thats not the cause of there death. val

I'm not sure who told you that but they were wrong.

There is no chemical that does what you are describing. Animals can't voluntarily commit suicide.

There are changes in the body when under stress, they direct the blood to vital organs and help give the rabbit the best possible chance of escape. Rabbit's (and other animals) can die of shock, that's not deliberate though thats the body shutting down after it's been pushed too far. Shock doesn't kill instantly though - it can be treated which is why patients are kept warm and given fluids after a trauma.

A seizure can be caused by lots of different things. It's possible the seizure triggered a heart attack.

Tam

Hi, i dont post on here very often but i feel that the point of greybunny posting this topic has been missed.Whether or not they did the right thing is not the point here an animal was suffering and to me it looks like the only decision they had is being frowned upon. Fair enough the rabbit couldnt tell them what was wrong or whatever but the point i take is however you look at this a suffering animal is no longer suffering. The vet was completely irresponsible and i hate to think that there are vets out there like this but she was and thats that. So what other options was there release the rabbit so that some nice predator could come alone and eat it, sorry but in my opinion and even though i myself probably couldnt do this, the best decision was made. So they maybe could have waited til morning and in that time the rabbit could have died a slow and agonising death. Personally Greybunny i can only imagine how bad you feel but you did the right thing and like it has already been said if i find myself faced with this sort of thing that i hope i have the courage to do the right thing to.

ok, lets end this now.

i think all points that need to be coverd have been. i have read every post and it seems a good time to move on dont you all think?

Greybuny i think you were very brave (and some of you may disagree) but you couldn't have done anything else as the vet you spoke to wasn't helpful at all Xx Im sending big hugs to you XXXX

Thank you so much to all of you who have offered support on this forum, both through the main forum and through personal messages. We really appreciate that you recognise that we had a difficult decision to make and that we really did have the rabbit's best interests at heart - we weren't trying to be cruel or heartless and we really do love rabbits.

A second, much nicer vet has since backed up our decision which, as has been pointed out, was one of not many options. I'm going to take lady spudly's advice and try to move on now. It's not that I can't accept criticism or debate but I really haven't been able to to much else apart from think about this and continually reading this forum isn't going to help either me or the bunny.

Thanks again guys, you've been great. Rest in peace, little bunny.

Lisa

hi

the point of this topic was that greybunny was worried about her own 2 pet rabbits catching myxi off this wild bunny, seeing as she'd handled it so much and brought it into the house, car etc.

does anyone know if her worries are groundless or not? Her rabbits are vaccd, but I believe there are variant strains of myxi...or not?

Back