• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccinations - first one done

The £49 is for the ordinary vaccine - the one for myxo and vhd. I forgot to ask how much the vhd2 one would be. I'll pop into another vets tomorrow and have a chat with them.

Yes I assumed it was that combo vaccine from what you said. It's quite a high price - especially considering that it's really (now) only for protection for myxi, as the VHD2 covers both vhd1 and vhd2.

....*and* the myxi vaccination appears to be working less well these days ..

to me it sounds like they have inflated their vacc costs ...possibly to draw you in to bunny health club. Maybe I'm being cynical

to me it sounds like they have inflated their vacc costs ...possibly to draw you in to bunny health club. Maybe I'm being cynical

I was actually thinking it might be better to join their bunny health club. It's £4.99 per bun per month but no mention of vhd2 on their list of what it covers.

Have just looked at JC's prices: £35.38 for combined vaccination. Don't know cost of VHD2 but I think Catherine paid £40 each when she took Sable & Bobby to her vet for theirs earlier this month.

Thank you so much everyone.

I am slowly managing to claw back my finances but still have my personal loan frozen as I have no way of paying it back so I need to be careful with my outgoings. I am going to ring the vets and check on the price later today as the receptionist had to look it up and I guess she could have got it wrong, although I did comment at the time that it seemed a lot.

I am slowly managing to claw back my finances but still have my personal loan frozen as I have no way of paying it back so I need to be careful with my outgoings. I am going to ring the vets and check on the price later today as the receptionist had to look it up and I guess she could have got it wrong, although I did comment at the time that it seemed a lot.

She may have added the consultation fee to the cost of the Vaccine. If you take all 3 Rabbits in together you should only pay one consultation fee.

Yes, I should shop around :D

You should not have to pay a consultation fee on top of the vaccination fee.

She may have added the consultation fee to the cost of the Vaccine. If you take all 3 Rabbits in together you should only pay one consultation fee.

Consult added?
I never pay consult with vaccines as its all included in the vaccine cost. Never heard of vets adding a consult to the vaccine.

I've never had to pay a consultation fee with vaccinations! The consult is included in the vacs as they can't really give the vacs without one.

I go to what I consider to be quite pricey vets, but I'm ok with that as I really like the practice. I pay £40 per bun for the combi vaccination and that includes a full health check and a 'free' bag of excel. They are a bit rubbish at remembering to give you the free food... Luckily I'm good at reminding them :)

£49 seems very very expensive!

Consult added?
I never pay consult with vaccines as its all included in the vaccine cost. Never heard of vets adding a consult to the vaccine.

No they don't :D

As Hele says, a full health check is given prior to vaccination and it's part of the package.

I doubt many people would be able to afford a £50 vaccinations fee and a £40+ consult fee! :shock:

I've never heard of a consult fee being added. Surely if a price is quoted for vaccination, then that's what you pay? JC always checks teeth & general condition, all vets would do that. Is it anything to do with it being their first vaccinations rather than boosters? Actually, that doesn't make sense.

I've never heard of a consult fee being added. Surely if a price is quoted for vaccination, then that's what you pay? JC always checks teeth & general condition, all vets would do that. Is it anything to do with it being their first vaccinations rather than boosters? Actually, that doesn't make sense.

I am just going on past experience at a different Vet to the one I use now. I was charged a consultation fee for everything :shock:

Indeed it is :thumb:

I would like to hear of any vets who charge a consultation fee.

They must be either very rich by now, or have no business at all :lol:

I've just got in from work and read all your replies and decided to check with the surgery before ringing other vets as I had Cherry and Hovis put to sleep there and their charges weren't unreasonable then.

I explained the situation to the person who answered the 'phone who agreed £49 seemed really expensive. She checked and it is £29.95. She did confirm that with another member of staff too. I asked her to let the receptionist know - not nastily - but I think the inflated price may really put some people off having their bun vaccinated, which would be awful.

I am really pleased as they seem a good vet practice with bunny savvy vets and they do their own out of hours cover which is important to me.

Thank you all so much for your advice, comments and support. RU is wonderful - I would have just accepted it if it wasn't for you amazing lot :love:

I've just got in from work and read all your replies and decided to check with the surgery before ringing other vets as I had Cherry and Hovis put to sleep there and their charges weren't unreasonable then.

I explained the situation to the person who answered the 'phone who agreed £49 seemed really expensive. She checked and it is £29.95. She did confirm that with another member of staff too. I asked her to let the receptionist know - not nastily - but I think the inflated price may really put some people off having their bun vaccinated, which would be awful.

I am really pleased as they seem a good vet practice with bunny savvy vets and they do their own out of hours cover which is important to me.

Thank you all so much for your advice, comments and support. RU is wonderful - I would have just accepted it if it wasn't for you amazing lot :love:

I'm really pleased you've sorted this Rhianna :wave:

Of course the inflated price would put people off. You were right to draw their attention to that, albeit in a nice way. xx

That sounds more reasonable. Still almost £60 for 3 Rabbits but not as bad as almost £150 ! Some Vets do discounts for multiple vaccinations. I know you will probably say you would not have the nerve to ask, but if you dont ask they probably wont offer !

I was actually thinking it might be better to join their bunny health club. It's £4.99 per bun per month but no mention of vhd2 on their list of what it covers.

They probably had the information about the Healthy Rabbit Club out before the RHD2 Vaccines became available. If you could manage the almost £15/month then I would go for it as that way you know you have the funds set aside for vaccinations in the future. The Healthy Pet Schemes usually offer additional things such as health checks/dental checks/nail clipping/worming.

That sounds more reasonable. Still almost £60 for 3 Rabbits but not as bad as almost £150 ! Some Vets do discounts for multiple vaccinations. I know you will probably say you would not have the nerve to ask, but if you dont ask they probably wont offer !

They probably had the information about the Healthy Rabbit Club out before the RHD2 Vaccines became available. If you could manage the almost £15/month then I would go for it as that way you know you have the funds set aside for vaccinations in the future. The Healthy Pet Schemes usually offer additional things such as health checks/dental checks/nail clipping/worming.

It's nearly £90 but much better than nearly £150. It won't take me over my overdraft limit whereas the £150 would have done.

I will ask about the Healthy Rabbit Club tomorrow in relation to the VHD2. It isn't mentioned in their website at all. I am seriously considering joining so I never get in the horrid position of not being able to afford to vaccinate my buns. I did feel guilty and bad about it and will be extremely relieved when I get to the top of the VHD2 waiting list and get them covered for that too. The list didn't look that long so maybe they are waiting for 20 bunnies to be on it before they order the vaccine. My three should help boost the numbers a bit:) I will ask about discount for three although I never got any for my eleven (although that was at a different vet surgery).

It says unlimited nail cutting too which would be a bonus as I can't do them on my own and have to wait until a friend visits and if they aren't 'bunny' people they sometimes struggle to hold the buns properly while I cut the nails.

I'm not sure you'd get any discount for three bunny's. I am surprised you didn't get any discount for 11 bunny's though!
I would have though the healthy rabbit club would cover the VHD2 vaccine, but if not, would you be in a position to put £15 away each month for the rabbits for future things likes vaccines, nail clips etc.
I used to have to do this for my ferrets (albeit they weren't vaccinated) but putting away money each month was very helpful for all their other things.

Back