• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UTI persisting despite dietary change

KCG

Warren Veteran
Hello to everyone,
Cookie has been experiencing UTI for a while, last 2 weeks on antibiotics. Last they wanted to do bladder flush but thanks to all of you I insisted on X-ray and they said it was not needed. Only dietary change suggested.

Cookie is generally very cheerful, energetic and curious, appetite. However, despite the diet change, the urine color is still the same red and brown tones.
I follow a diet program according to Harcout Brown's diet list for rabbits with UTI's sent by Grace and Jane. He eats 1 handful of wet kaale in the morning and evening every day and he eats vegetables such as spinach, celery, rosemary, coriander, dill, basil, lettuce, mint, rocket etc

I don't know what to do anymore, what do you suggest? :(

Why do you think he still has an infection? Red and brown tones in a rabbit's urine is usually a result of plant pigments in the food that the rabbit has consumed.

Why do you think he still has an infection? Red and brown tones in a rabbit's urine is usually a result of plant pigments in the food that the rabbit has consumed.

Yes that's what I thought for a long time and this problem has been going on for months. Cookie had no symptoms other than urine color, however when I got tested I found it was UTI. So when there is urine color change, I am no longer sure if it is a UTI or food? :(

I would want a confirmation of an actual infection eg by testing the urine. Urine can change colour quite a lot, depending on diet. If it's passed easily and plentifully (so a small puddle rather rather than drips), isn't cloudy or sludgy and there's no of sign of crystals (you can see them if he wees on paper - there will be distinctive sediment left when the liquid soaks in), and no traces of blood, I would query whether there is an actual infection.

There could be excess calcium being passed from certain veg. Some rabbits seem to be much more sensitive than others. Kale (and all the cabbage family) and spinach (which if full of oxalates) could contribute. I had a rabbit with very sludgy urine and I had to remove all the cabbage from her diet as it made a noticeable difference to her.

Anything that increases the relative water intake should help (so fresh rather than dry food, for example). Frequent urination and an active rabbit will keep the bladder emptying properly. Wild rabbits move about more than pet rabbits, which mean that the contents of the bladder are constantly stirred up so sediment and bacteria are passed through all the time, rather than settling and causing issues.

I would take a urine sample back to the vet and see what they say.

Could you get a sample of his urine tested by the vet without having to have him examined? From how you have described his current behaviour, he doesn't sound as though he is in pain.

HUv1dx8.jpg

https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condition/infection-in-the-bladder-or-urinary-tract

Maybe 2 handfulls of Kale per day is too much for a small Rabbit. Does he also eat Hay and Pellets?

Thank you all for your answers and interest. What confuses me is that normally Cookie didn't have any symptoms other than urine color. And this color just doesn't get better, it doesn't go back to normal. So I'm not sure if the UTI persists or not. I'm confused what to do :(

Thank you all for your answers and interest. What confuses me is that normally Cookie didn't have any symptoms other than urine color. And this color just doesn't get better, it doesn't go back to normal. So I'm not sure if the UTI persists or not. I'm confused what to do :(

The only way to determine if there is infection present again is to get another Urine Test done.

The only way to determine if there is infection present again is to get another Urine Test done.

You are right Jane, I will test again. If it still persists, it means that this problem has not healed for 2 months. What should I do?

Can you post a photo of Cookie's urine on here? I think some of the foods he eats, such as Rosemary, Kale and sometimes Lettuce, can make a Rabbit's urine dark.

You are right Jane, I will test again. If it still persists, it means that this problem has not healed for 2 months. What should I do?

As I said, get a urine test done first. What is needed regarding treatment will depend on if he has infection or not. It could just be normal Red /Orange urine due to plant pigments in his diet.

I have had bunnies who started to produce orange urine and it stayed that way for the rest of their long lives. So Cookie's urine color may be his new normal if testing shows no infection or sludge.

Can you post a photo of Cookie's urine on here? I think some of the foods he eats, such as Rosemary, Kale and sometimes Lettuce, can make a Rabbit's urine dark.

I will add a photo tomorrow morning thank you xx

As I said, get a urine test done first. What is needed regarding treatment will depend on if he has infection or not. It could just be normal Red /Orange urine due to plant pigments in his diet.

Ok Jane thank You so much <3

I have had bunnies who started to produce orange urine and it stayed that way for the rest of their long lives. So Cookie's urine color may be his new normal if testing shows no infection or sludge.

This gave me some relief thank you dear :)

Back