• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Using Ramps

BamBam98

New Kit
I am currently moving, so have bought my two female mini lops a new cage to fit the new house. It is the first multi-story cage they have had, and one of them is refusing to go anywhere near the ramp. Smoke mastered it within two minutes of being in there and will happily fly up and down it with no hesitation, whereas Smudge (who is quite timid and scared of most things anyway) won't even look at it. I tried tempting her with food and carefully lifting her onto it and showing her how to go up and down, I managed to get her to go down once and she did it well but wont try without me making her. She refuses to even attempt to go up and seemed freaked out, so I stopped trying to help as I didn't want to put her off even more. The food and water bowls need to be in the top section due to the access areas of the cage, but the litter try is on the bottom as it doesn't fit on the top layer. It has only been one day but I had to lift her up to the top to eat today then put her back downstairs. Is she likely to just suck it up and go up when she's hungry again tomorrow as she now knows where the food is and she keeps watching her sister go up and down?(Obviously if she doesn't go up after a few hours I will make sure she gets some food). Do I need to work out how to rearrange everything in the cage straight away or should I wait a few more days to see if she gets it? Can I encourage her to use the ramp without frightening her even more? She has such a timid disposition at the best of times and I don't want to undo the little progress she has made in the last year as she has only just started letting me cut her nails with no fuss and I don't want her to stop letting me near her.

Mine don't like ramps, either. They tend to jump between levels, so maybe look at removing the ramp altogether and put in something like a box or bricks as a jump platform instead, if needed.

Depending on whether you have room a Runaround tube or similar instead of a ramp may work. Takes a bit of diy to get it in place and make it stay but works well.

My Phoebe doesn't like the ramp either. She will use it but as she is getting older it's becoming more difficult.
I'm going to buy some carpet squares and add them to the ramp, so she has better grip. If that doesn't help, the ramp angle will be made lower with the use of a box.
If still no success, I'll turn it into hopping steps.

Attached is the current, and what it'll look like with a box.
b0820ad6ee6e55661926553ae4b1d039.jpg
52ec9fefec417f91e73ce7a258de7ab4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back