• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urinary incontinence UPDATE P3: Active EC :-(

How are things this morning? :wave:

Hellooo! Chester was really bright this morning and has been doing all the things bunnys should do! I was a little concerned about his little poos but he's been munching on hay all day so I'm confident this will improve. I'm keeping a close eye on him though!!

Another update from me.

Chester's blood tests have come back and he is positive for EC. Apparently his titre is quite high so it's likely it's currently 'active' which would explain his symptoms. The vet has prescribed a 2 month course of panacur.

I do feel reassured that we have a diagnosis but I was hoping it would be something fully treatable rather than something that needs to be managed.

Does anyone have experience with EC buns and urinary incontinence? Is it likely to improve?

Thanks!

Another update from me.

Chester's blood tests have come back and he is positive for EC. Apparently his titre is quite high so it's likely it's currently 'active' which would explain his symptoms. The vet has prescribed a 2 month course of panacur.

I do feel reassured that we have a diagnosis but I was hoping it would be something fully treatable rather than something that needs to be managed.

Does anyone have experience with EC buns and urinary incontinence? Is it likely to improve?

Thanks!

Hi Emmy

I am glad you've given an update and at least you have a diagnosis now. It's said that the damage done by EC cannot be reversed, but I haven't always found this to be the case, so please find reason for hope!

Did your vet comment on the kidneys, I don't know whether he tested their function? (Apologies if you've already said ..)

Hi Emmy

I am glad you've given an update and at least you have a diagnosis now. It's said that the damage done by EC cannot be reversed, but I haven't always found this to be the case, so please find reason for hope!

Did your vet comment on the kidneys, I don't know whether he tested their function? (Apologies if you've already said ..)

Hi MightyMax,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you.

Chester has been on panacur for a month now, and he's still having accidents. The vet did check his kidneys and she said his creatinine was up (but as it was the only raised result she wasn't sure of the significance).

I have tried litter training him again (as he was litter trained before) but I haven't had any luck. It does seem that he isn't in control of when he goes for a wee. I have him on vet bed now and I am managing to keep his back end dry, but I'm not able to have him roam freely as I did before.

It's all quite sad really!

Back