• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent petplan & broken leg advice please

Awwww bless him! I'm so pleased he's on the mend. All paws here crossed for him. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh that scrummy tummy :love:
I think their bond is still going to be ok, they are still seeking each other out & you never know she may have stamped her feet to say she wasn't happy with him being taken :)

I'm glad the new vet has backed you and given his professional opinion. It's such an awful situation and the first vets should admit their error.

Hope the sneezing has settled now?

Aww thank you so much everyone! Really appreciated and I'm so proud of him xxx and my soppy little tinker, they've had their first proper nose rub tonight which made me smile so much, it was great to see! :) and of course I'll keep you posted to how his check up on Wednesday goes!

Hi Rab-bit, thank you so much for your comments.. It's so nice and re-assuring to hear you've had a similar story & your bunnies we're okay! :) hope you don't mind me asking, so with the broken leg, was it pinned? and did they have a full recovery? Have they had any other problems?

I just can't help worrying as it's both legs and with his left, he's currently still dragging his one foot. I know it's early days, but it's still worrying! :(

Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much xxxx

Sorry I have not replied been very busy lately started a new job very hectic...
Well Moley had a bit of wax build up in his ear because he couldn't scratch it but nothing serious and it resolved itself quickly. He has some matting on his rear, the opposite side to his bad leg as he couldnt wash it and I couldnt access it to help. :(
The break was soo bad Fitzpatrick couldn't pin it externally, as there was little to no bone left to pin, he had to put 3 rods in and realign the bone by sight, he internally pinned what bone was left and hoped it would hold and not fracture around the internal pins and implants. "Touch wood" he is doing well and the mats are now coming out of his fur now.
I was really worried his leg was going to be permanently pointing out but at some point it realined itself and you would never know it had been broken :) this is him during recovery:
d3aa1b24e0d0e252af12bf14d2b07e27.jpg
:cry:
This is him now:
a0139010f6bf4788c2c3df2ba16b1406.jpg
:love:

Last edited:
Awwwwww thanks everyone.. And haha, He is like a little bear, and still has a lot of his baby fur on his belly! It's soooo hard not to pick him up and give him a squeeeeeze:(

Sorry I have not replied been very busy lately started a new job very hectic...
Well Moley had a bit of wax build up in his ear because he couldn't scratch it but nothing serious and it resolved itself quickly. He has some matting on his rear, the opposite side to his bad leg as he couldnt wash it and I couldnt access it to help. :(
The break was soo bad Fitzpatrick couldn't pin it externally, as there was little to no bone left to pin, he had to put 3 rods in and realign the bone by sight, he internally pinned what bone was left and hoped it would hold and not fracture around the internal pins and implants. "Touch wood" he is doing well and the mats are now coming out of his fur now.
I was really worried his leg was going to be permanently pointing out but at some point it realined itself and you would never know it had been broken :) this is him during recovery:
d3aa1b24e0d0e252af12bf14d2b07e27.jpg
:cry:
This is him now:
a0139010f6bf4788c2c3df2ba16b1406.jpg
:love:

Thanks so much for writing back, really appreciate it.

Oh wow, bless his little heart.... Poor boy! But I'm so thrilled he had a full recovery!

It's so nice to actually hear about a bunny breaking their leg and everything was okay, even though it was an awful break - he was such a brave boy, thank you so much!!

Regarding Harvey's bum, we're quite lucky as he's only recently been neutered so is already shaved down there which has been a huge help. But his ears I am slightly worried about as he can't do either, but the vets are going to check them at his next appointment.

Do you mind me asking roughly how long did it take for his fur to grow back? And did he maintain a healthy weight throughout? Harvey has lost loads of his muscle and is so thin... The vet says its nothing to worry about for the moment, but I can't help wondering if he'll soon build this back up once he's able to move around more.

Thanks again and hope your job is going well! :)

Awwwwww thanks everyone.. And haha, He is like a little bear, and still has a lot of his baby fur on his belly! It's soooo hard not to pick him up and give him a squeeeeeze:(

Awwwww! He knows you love him :)

Good to see the beautiful Moley too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly just want to say Harvey is amazing and also very brave I think the love you give to him definitely helps him to fight to recover, although looking at him lying on his back you wouldn't think anything was wrong with him he is so :love:

Muscle wastage was my main concern and depression from being in the crate for 2 months, Fitzpatrick's weren't sure how the muscle wastage would effect him or how bad it would be and it was a wait and see game!
TBH he never lost his appetite and due to the cone I was there day and night every 2 hours feeding him small amounts of pellets, lots of hay and fibre sticks, he lost a noticeable amount of weight but he gained it back fairly quickly when he went outside. The muscle thing was never a problem, as he was always full of mischief and standing. Also I cleaned him out every day so he had a small penned area he "hopped" around in, he got tired quickly though!!!
I think with the ears just keep checking them, I would rub the base of his ears he loved it and I hope it helped break down the wax.
The fur was a strange one because he didn't have any growing when he went back outside and I was worried he would get cold but it was like one night it all grew back...:shock: but I read on here that the fur will grow with a moult and he must have been growing his winter coat and it all sprung up :p
I think the only bit of luck you had was the shaved bum!!!!!

Continued vines for Harvey's recovery and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask :wave:

Hi everyone,

Just to update you on today's antics.. My poor boy has been back to the vets and thankfully back home recovering!

Yesterday I noticed on his feet, his wounds from when the bottom pins have been rubbing him looked rather red. Whilst keeping a close eye on these, first thing this morning we noticed blood had become visible.. I was gutted and so upset for my little man!

We phoned the referral vets and we had an appointment for 2pm, Harvey went in and was sedated.. Where they have now removed his bottom pins, although this isn't ideal, they we're still confident this will be okay. So fingers and toes crossed!!!

Regarding his wounds, we are currently leaving these open and hoping they will shortly scab over. We have been told to try and clean with salt water every day, but try not draw too much attention for them. He's had his metacam back uped to 0.6 twice daily and anti biotics up 0.25 twice daily for the next 7 days!

Does anyone possibly have any advice on cleaning wounds? Obviously I'm back to watching him like a hawk and at the moment he does give them the odd lick but is tending to leave them which is positive! :)

So really do appreciate any vibes you can please give my little trooper, thanks so much xxx

Last edited:
Hmm, after Amy got her spay stitches infected (little madam tore them out :?) the vet's gave me something to dilute and wash her tummy with once a day... I'll go see if I still have some. I think it was a hibiscus thing.

SJ_R....I think it would be Hibiscrub that you've had. I've had that for wound cleaning in the past.

Sending lots of vibes for Harvey xxx

SJ_R....I think it would be Hibiscrub that you've had. I've had that for wound cleaning in the past.

Sending lots of vibes for Harvey xxx

Can't find it, but yes, I'm pretty certain that's what it was; I think we also used it when the dog had a skin thing. I remember having to dilute it to a very pale pink- and having to deal with putting it on a very squirmy bunny's tummy.

Try not to worry, I'm sure it's just another step to his recovery, you sound like you have a wonderful and competent vet. Harvey if you're reading this, don't lick your wounds little man and they will heal up much quicker, and you can get back to hopping around and playing with Honey- sending you a gentle nose rub sweetheart :love:

Could you perhaps use manuka honey to help heal them up? Only issue with it (which I found with my bun's sore hocks) was that it tastes really nice to he may lick it off.

I would put a small amount of sea salt in some cooled boiled water and bathe the wound in that if you have nothing else. I wouldn't bathe it for too long, though as it actually may hinder the scabbing process. I would also do it about half an hour or so after he has his pain relief just to make sure they aren't too sore.

Sending him lots and lots of vibes.

Hello, I've just seen this post! :) I decided to take my bunny to the companion care:)
I'm very sorry to hear about you and your poor bunny's experience also: that must have been so terrible for you both :( :(

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for your comments and advice! :)

Pets mum.. I read your post out to Harvey on Friday.. And touch wood since he's been really good! :) I have only salt watered his wounds once, poor little man. Think he soon realised leaving them alone was the Better alternative ;) We check them every morning & night and at the moment, they are looking okay. His blood has dried up and even started to crust which is brilliant.

The last 2 mornings, he's actually been chewing the bars and even reaches up to greet me! Bless him.. So this afternoon we have took the plunge and let him out his cage. He hopped straight over to my partner then over to honey & they had a cheeky nose rub! It was so lovely to see, and he continued to hop around for about 5 mins shortly followed by collapsing & lieing down which of course is expected, he roughly stayed out for 15 mins and going forward we're hoping to let him out for about 20 mins a day! :)

He is still carrying his left leg slightly, so their is obviously still some discomfort, but otherwise when moving he is using both legs which is fantastic! He's such a brave little man & fingers crossed he can keep up this brilliant progress over the next 2 weeks!

Thanks so much everyone!!!! :) you really have helped me and Harvey loads xx

Back