• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent help

*nods* you're carrying on the course. Never tried Marbocyl so don't know how effective it is against something like this, but I do hope that she starts picking up by tomorrow.

I am really scared marbocyl is not good as I have spoken to several bunny owners who have never used it :(

I am really scared marbocyl is not good as I have spoken to several bunny owners who have never used it :(

It doesn't mean it' not good, it literally does just mean some bunny owners haven't used it.

With Tilly and Rosie we used an antibio called Convenia. Sorted them right out but many owners and vets would not use that on a rabbit. It was my vets first time but we discussed the pros and cons and I wouldn't have done anything else. So we did and it worked a treat; day 2 and a noticeable difference in both bunnies. With Zithromax, we used that on Badger but my vets had never used it before although other owners had.

I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes doing something slightly 'less ordinary' can work out ok (if it turns out your vet has done that) and make the world of difference.

That said, I bet if you posted a thread called 'who has used Marbocyl in a rabbit' you would get a good amount of people saying 'yes' because it's one I recognise, even if it's one I haven't used.

thank you I started the thread

The Marbocyl is injectable and oral they have given us both the oral and injectable syringe he said so if its difficult to get her to take it the injection may be easier

thank you I started the thread

The Marbocyl is injectable and oral they have given us both the oral and injectable syringe he said so if its difficult to get her to take it the injection may be easier

I ended up injecting Mimi with it as it was so hard to get into her and she got so stressed out. If you can hide it in a treat of some kind thats even better :wave:

I ended up injecting Mimi with it as it was so hard to get into her and she got so stressed out. If you can hide it in a treat of some kind thats even better :wave:

I shall try

if i have to inject her as uncomfortable it is for her I am not too worried as I am use to injecting myself so I am not afraid to do it

it upsets me seeing her like this.... the way she is sitting you can tell shes not right....

If you do end up injecting her it's not that stressful. At least it wasn't for Grim. The best way I found was to sit on the floor with him where he was comfortable and give him lots of nose rubs and cuddles. Then I would get someone to take over giving him cuddle and while he was nice and relaxed just quickly pull up the scruff and inject him. Followed my more cuddles and bread. :)

Bread also seems to be a good one for hiding medicine in as it absorbs it nicely. I've also heard of a few people giving panacur (sp?) between two dandelion leaves, like a sandwich. If you or her get too stressed doing it one way, sit back and take a deep breath, then try and think of another way of doing it. Or come and ask us. It must be very horrible for both of you, but remember not only are we all here for you but there's bound to be some of us who have been in your exact situation so we'll be happy to advise.

If you do end up injecting her it's not that stressful. At least it wasn't for Grim. The best way I found was to sit on the floor with him where he was comfortable and give him lots of nose rubs and cuddles. Then I would get someone to take over giving him cuddle and while he was nice and relaxed just quickly pull up the scruff and inject him. Followed my more cuddles and bread. :)

Bread also seems to be a good one for hiding medicine in as it absorbs it nicely. I've also heard of a few people giving panacur (sp?) between two dandelion leaves, like a sandwich. If you or her get too stressed doing it one way, sit back and take a deep breath, then try and think of another way of doing it. Or come and ask us. It must be very horrible for both of you, but remember not only are we all here for you but there's bound to be some of us who have been in your exact situation so we'll be happy to advise.

she will be given pleanty of fusses we are giving the meds together anyway yuki seems to love metacam lol 0_O

I do remember last time she was going through this and was taking metacam regularly I was on morphine we dosed up together >_<

she dsnt like taking panacur I dont blame her I hated taking some of my oral liquid meds >_< bleeeeh

I try to do it as fast as possible then give her some apple

Panacur works quite nicely rolled inside a leaf of something like Basil, or sandwiched between two. We always give Baytril mashed into banana otherwise it's a terrible struggle.

yuki puts up a bit of a fight when giving her meds but she gives in shes quite good really

I just want her better her head tilt is getting worse i know it will get worse before it gets better.... but.... I hate seeing it -__________-

I used to find Mischa was happiest sitting on my chest while I laid in bed and watched tv, he could get comfortable this way. I also did very gentle massage on his neck and very VERY gently turned it. I truly believe this helped him to have very little residual head tilt.

I used to find Mischa was happiest sitting on my chest while I laid in bed and watched tv, he could get comfortable this way. I also did very gentle massage on his neck and very VERY gently turned it. I truly believe this helped him to have very little residual head tilt.

:thumb:

I agree that the massages are very useful for them. I also think that physio is also key but the physio (i.e. the neck turning), in my opinion, is better placed when the rabbit is on the road to recovery because of how disorientated they are when ill. I used to 'work' Tilly really, really hard with her tilt but she didn't know it. As far as she was concerned she was having a lovely time, and she also loved her neck massages too.

:thumb:

I agree that the massages are very useful for them. I also think that physio is also key but the physio (i.e. the neck turning), in my opinion, is better placed when the rabbit is on the road to recovery because of how disorientated they are when ill. I used to 'work' Tilly really, really hard with her tilt but she didn't know it. As far as she was concerned she was having a lovely time, and she also loved her neck massages too.

Yes that's a good point. I agree :thumb:

Phew. It took me ages to write it because I didn't want you thinking I was critising or disagreeing with you or what you did, I was just informing Laura.

You thought your post through better than I did mine :lol:

thank you guys

yeah I will do that when shes on the road to recovery

i am already massaging her neck as I figured it would be nice since when my joints ache that helps me ^^

Lots of positive vibes for you - just remember you are doing your best and that is all you can do. Just let her know she's loved and wanted and you'll be there every step of the way. Lots of healing vibes for bun bun.

Regarding a bunny not liking medicine when Adelle was ill earlier in the year I had to give her medicine twice a day which she didn't like. Therefore I wrapped her in a towel so that I could hold her firmly without having to worry about hurting her and also once she was done with her medicine I gave her a treat for being really good. After a few days she got better at putting up with the medicine as she knew the treat was on the way and I always explained it was to help her get better.

just gave her all three including the injectable marbocyl

shes been pretty good with it all she didnt struggle all that much and then sat happyilly for a fuss before hopping back into the pen to have a cuddle with yuri

phoned the vet on the off chance they may have the results early and the recpetionist said the results may not come till monday!!!

am angry I was told friday its bad enough worrying until then!

Back