• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent Help please - fighting rabbits!

Honeybunnies Rabbit and Guinea Pig rescue are on facebook. Fantastic rescue and if you want to have a chat with them, speak to Jill :) She will be someone knowledgeable to speak to and might be able to provide a fall-back situation if things don't turn out.

So an update of sorts is that Pets At Home didn't have anything suitable that we could take away - everything needs to be ordered in. Their solution for tonight was to pack their carrier with loads of bedding and put that in the run, so that they have access to it when they get cold/want to sleep. I'm not 100% convinced but I suppose it's our only option at this point. We've ordered a dog kennel thing for tomorrow so one will be outside with access to the kennel, and the other in their playhouse, with a swap at least once a day.

So an update of sorts is that Pets At Home didn't have anything suitable that we could take away - everything needs to be ordered in. Their solution for tonight was to pack their carrier with loads of bedding and put that in the run, so that they have access to it when they get cold/want to sleep. I'm not 100% convinced but I suppose it's our only option at this point. We've ordered a dog kennel thing for tomorrow so one will be outside with access to the kennel, and the other in their playhouse, with a swap at least once a day.

Can you cobble together something to cover the run as the weather is going to be very wet and windy tonight.

Can you cobble together something to cover the run as the weather is going to be very wet and windy tonight.

Good point - the roof and two sides are already covered with tarpaulin, but we've just covered as much as we can of the third side with one too, so only one side is completely open. I've also put the carrier half inside a cardboard box for a bit of extra insulation - it's not perfect but I thought it might help a little. Fortunately it's not meant to be too cold tonight - no less than 8 degrees according to the BBC! I've just noticed that there might be a thunder storm though, which isn't great.

It sounds perfectly acceptable for a temporary solution. By the way, don't be surprised if the outside bunny decides not to go in the carrier or kennel :lol: Mine would be quite happy staying outside in all weathers.

Just thought, is your run on grass? If so, are you sure no bunny can dig out or no predator can dig in?

Last edited:
Thank you, I'm so glad you think it will be ok as I was feeling rather mean! The run is on flagstones and although there is a slightly damaged section that I want to cement in, I don't think it offers a way in or out.

That's really interesting that yours would be outside in all weathers though! One of the many books I have read (some better than others - mostly library books so some were quite outdated and one had the line 'no garden or space is too small for a rabbit' :roll:) suggested not closing their door at night so they could have constant access to the outside. I thought that sounded a bit draughty!

Also, as they will still be able to see and smell each other, this should be helpful for when you come to rebond.

Oh, that's good to know! Ideally we would persevere with both but I'm concerned we're just too inexperienced to make it work. I can't overstate how grateful I am for the support and information I'm getting here though.

It amazes me how much outside bunnies seem unbothered by the seasons - its the owners who seem to worry about it. The contrast between them & house bunnies amazes me more, I can't get near my log burner as there are 2 bunnies constantly sprawled in front of it - one of them was a garden rabbit til Feb this year.

Can I say I think you're doing a fab job of what is a very difficult situation

That's really good to hear then, because I've already been worrying about what will happen when winter kicks in (did I mention that I'm a worrier?!) and I was relying on two bunnies to keep one another warm. Maybe as and when everything is sorted, I will leave them with the door open and not try to shut them away at night - though they do have extra protection from predators when they're shut away.

You have been hugely let down by the 'rescue' - its not fair that you start your bunny owning time like this. I hope you can work out a solution xx

+1
my best wishes to you and i sincerely hope things settle down asap.

It amazes me how much outside bunnies seem unbothered by the seasons - its the owners who seem to worry about it. The contrast between them & house bunnies amazes me more, I can't get near my log burner as there are 2 bunnies constantly sprawled in front of it - one of them was a garden rabbit til Feb this year.

Can I say I think you're doing a fab job of what is a very difficult situation

Absolutely this :thumb:

Back