• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT head tilt U/D pic p65

Regarding convenia
Its duration of action is based on the fact that the drug is bound long term to dog and cat blood proteins which other species do not possess. Therefore as Marie has said its duration of action is variable but short in other species. There are also efficacy issues regarding cevovecin the active ingredient and resistance to the antibiotic is becoming very common. I do not agree with Vikkivets appraisal of suppressing a rabbits immune system being a good idea. Rabbits are a steroid sensitive species and any but the most short acting steroids in acute cases should be used in head tilt cases. It is likely that immunosuppressing factors are related to the onset of acute clinical signs and so to further depress the immune system seems to be perilous thing to do. Also we have not taken into account the main differential which is a bacterial otitis media (middle ear infection) which will be made worse by immunosuppression Metacam at the correct dose is a good antiinflammatory and would be my drug of choice. I also use meclazine for acute cases. As an aside, for acute pain, meloxicam as part of a multimodal plan of analgesia (ie alongside an opiate e.g. tramadol) is very effective.
I hope your rabbit improves, it sounds as if it requires quite aggressive care

Regarding convenia
Its duration of action is based on the fact that the drug is bound long term to dog and cat blood proteins which other species do not possess. Therefore as Marie has said its duration of action is variable but short in other species. There are also efficacy issues regarding cevovecin the active ingredient and resistance to the antibiotic is becoming very common. I do not agree with Vikkivets appraisal of suppressing a rabbits immune system being a good idea. Rabbits are a steroid sensitive species and any but the most short acting steroids in acute cases should be used in head tilt cases. It is likely that immunosuppressing factors are related to the onset of acute clinical signs and so to further depress the immune system seems to be perilous thing to do. Also we have not taken into account the main differential which is a bacterial otitis media (middle ear infection) which will be made worse by immunosuppression Metacam at the correct dose is a good antiinflammatory and would be my drug of choice. I also use meclazine for acute cases. As an aside, for acute pain, meloxicam as part of a multimodal plan of analgesia (ie alongside an opiate e.g. tramadol) is very effective.

I'm really sorry, but most of that went over my head :oops: Could you explain in a simpler way for me?

I'm not sure, but I think he means...

1. He wouldn't advise using Convenia because of the length of time it stays active in the body and because it's one of the antibiotics that some bacteria are becoming resistant to.

2. He wouldn't use steroids because they suppress the immune system, which isn't good if the rabbit is fighting an ear infection.

3. He uses metacam for it's anti-inflammatory properties, which incidentally he finds gives good pain relief when combined with an opiate like Tramadol.

4. He uses meclazine for it's anti sickness properties.

Please correct me if I've just written a load of rubbish! :lol:

He has learnt to stand and sit for himself with his head wonky :D

He was a sweetie today when it came to meds- just lapped them off the syringe. Likewise with his Critical Care. Been feeding it throughout the day, and had one feed this morning, just to keep food moving through him and extra fluids other than sub-cut. He just sits there and licks it :love:

He has learnt to stand and sit for himself with his head wonky :D

He was a sweetie today when it came to meds- just lapped them off the syringe. Likewise with his Critical Care. Been feeding it throughout the day, and had one feed this morning, just to keep food moving through him and extra fluids other than sub-cut. He just sits there and licks it :love:

He seems to be a little fighter anyways :)
Hopefully his head will rectify, but if it doesn't then i am sure he will manage.
Continued vibes from me xx

This was him saturday morning when he worsened

Random018.jpg

Trying to get comfy last night. Note- the whites of his eye showing where his eyes kept flickering/twitching

Random019.jpg

Today, now he has learnt to sit

Random021.jpg

Random024.jpg

Random026.jpg

I have him bedded down in half a pet carrier due to the severity of the rolling. He has vet bed and towels in there, and it is all put on a double duvet, folded in half for the chance he could flip out of the carrier midroll and land on the floor.

Regarding convenia

I wish we'd known about you when Mischa had headtilt. Old vets gave him steroids and it wasn't until they stopped them that he started improving :evil:

Oh the poor little mite :cry:
Just for encouragement, this is what my Mimi was like for 5 weeks when she had her head tilt (ear infection) She couldnt stand atall and would roll continuously. She had severe nystagmus and was greatly distressed. I had to nurse her 24/7 until she started to improve. Here are some pics :(

DSCN2090.jpg

112_9622.jpg

When she started to improve....
112_9655.jpg

112_9698.jpg

And now :D..........
113_0094.jpg

For reference her treatment was, Marbocyl (15 days) Metacam (5 weeks, 3 days on and 3 days off) and Meclozine (5 weeks) :wave:

He looks very comfortable and supported in his carrier. If he has nystagmus keeping him in fairly dim light is apparantly helfpul. I had Mimi confined to a cage with a sheet over it so that the light in my liunge wasnt directly in her eyes.
Keep an eye out for uneaten caecos aswell, and offer them to him. I also used to bathe Mimis back end with warm water and a flannel twice a day as she ended up sitting in her own wee :( I also applied sudocrem to her hocks and the exposed sin on her back end to help avoid urine scalds.
Ensure hes drinking enough by holding a bowl of water under his nose every half hour or so. This was the only way Mimi could drink.
Mimi also really enjoyed gentle neck massages. I think it helped ease the pain and stiffness in the muscles in her neck, and also contributed to her head eventually returning to normal.

Looks like you're doing an amazing job and its a great sign that hes learnt to stand by himself already :D:D:D

It always looks awful when they're tilted like that :( It's so distressing to see.. But wonderful to see them recovering.

Sending loads of vibes for a fast recovery x

I agree with the other head tilt mummies, this i exactly what my Kermit was like, and although his story is not as great as the others who's tilt straightened, he still learned to cope well with the tilt.
Kermit sends angel kisses from the bridge xx

Looks like he's picking up quite well - it's great that he's learnt to stand again! Keep up the good work!

Even if he doesn't fully straighten, they do get used to it. Brownie is still tilty (up to 45 degrees at times) but now binkies and periscopes!

I agree with the other head tilt mummies, this i exactly what my Kermit was like, and although his story is not as great as the others who's tilt straightened, he still learned to cope well with the tilt.
Kermit sends angel kisses from the bridge xx

:love::love: Loads of kisses back to a very special bun :love::love:

Poor wee guy! I don't think 'head tilt' describes it accurately enough. I think head twist would be better:(. It must be really distressing nursing your buns through this.

He let me do his "down eye" meds myself today :D Normally it takes two, one to hold and get him comfy so not rolling, the other to administer.

He is also learning to lift his head whilst in a "sit" position :D

Back