• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT head tilt U/D pic p65

I don't think you can use metacam if a steroid has been given :wave:

That is what I've just read :(

On the "On The Wonk" website:

Alongside these medicines you need an anti-inflammatory - either Metacam (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) or steroid injections (max 3 injections, with 2-3 days between each dose). Do not give both Metacam and steroids together.

needs metacam too as this will reduce pain and reduce brain swelling lessoning the siezures xx

Cant have Metacam now as has had Cortisone. Would need to wait a few days I think.

I dont know when the abx could safely be changed, as Marie said in the previous thread the pharmacokinetics of Convenia are not really known for Rabbits.

It's not the same Vet that nearly killed the Rex Doe with oral Antirobe I hope................

If so then I am afraid I would not trust him as far as I can spit. Especially with the prescribing of off licence high risk antibiotics.

Cant have Metacam now as has had Cortisone. Would need to wait a few days I think.

I dont know when the abx could safely be changed, as Marie said in the previous thread the pharmacokinetics of Convenia are not really known for Rabbits.

It's not the same Vet that nearly killed the Rex Doe with oral Antirobe I hope................

If so then I am afraid I would not trust him as far as I can spit. Especially with the prescribing of off licence high risk antibiotics.

No, it is a different veterinary surgeon.
Will pm Marie and ask if she could look at the thread and suggest something.

With regards housing...I found by far the best housing was an indoor cage lined with a large piece of vet bed. The vet bed needs to be large enough to cover the floor and go a way up the sides of the cage too so he doesn't hurt himself when he rolls.

He is going in a small crate overnight, and once I am back, I'll move him into an indoor cage, thank you Amy. Luckily, I had a delivery today for 10m of vet bed, so have plenty to pad him out with :love:

Sending lots of healing vibes xxxxxxx

Sorry I didn't realise you already had a steriod injection. Thank heavens for all the knowledgable RU'ers:). Like I said before I would always double check with your vet for meds. I hope you have a good one and not the one that Jane is talking about!

Just got a message back from receptionist, they are happy to discuss changes on his Saturday appt. I am also at vets tomorrow night, so will try and get them to dispense then.

Personally I would also stay clear of Convenia and switch from steroids asap - steroids really are a last ditch in rabbits and can cause a lot of problems with lowered immune systems.

Steroids are, I suspect, a rather old fashioned response.

Its such a shame you are not near a really good vet.

I'd just like to say, that even though you all clearly think it was the wrong thing to mention Convenia, and I will learn from that, but that it made a massive difference to both Tilly and Rosie, and I wouldn't change the fact we used it with them, because we got them both upright. Yes, risky, but out of the options available, that was the only viable option for us. That's why I mentioned it.

That all said, thank you for not jumping on me, just for stating your own opinions :)

I'll be able to update tomorrow once I have seen him for myself, and popped along to the vets (Twi is in for her VHD in the evening) the vet on phone said it was severe, but my mum said she would class it as mild, as it isn't as bad a tilt as Mr Bun has :?

Hope Victor is feeling better soon.

Only to add my 2p's worth - I agree Convenia has risks/unknowns with regard to pharmacokinetics but as Sky-O said they have been used to great effect so shouldn't be automatically ruled out, rather carefully considered and their effects closely monitored and planned for.
From what I understand, steroids are often used because their anti-inflammatory effects are far more potent, even if the duration of effect is longer. In an E.C. bun it is partly the immune system that is causing the damage so a temporary depression in immune function actually isn't such a bad idea, as long as gut function and good hygiene practices are maintained.
In terms of pain relief, although metacam is commonly used and relatively safe in the short term, it doesn't really touch significant pain so wouldn't be my drug of choice for animals in a lot of acute pain

Hi,
the problem with convenia is not necessarily safety (although as a cephalosporin it can cause dysbiosis and can only be given by injection) but efficacy. It has now been shown to only be at effective levels for 12hrs after injection in the rabbit. If given intermittently then there is very little time that it is having any effect and risk of developing resistance is very high. If being used it should be injected twice daily to be effective (however safety of this is not yet established so I remain wary of it).
Steroid use for EC is less clearly defined. Many vets use them to reduce inflammation but there is an argument that because EC is infectious steroids actually reduce the body's defences against it. Metacam is less 'potent' at suppressing the immune system and I prefer to use this. You cannot use both meds at the same time though before any changes you would need to speak to your vet and find out how long-acting the steroid injection given is.
Did they do any diagnostics to find out what the underlying problem is?
Marie

Hi,
the problem with convenia is not necessarily safety (although as a cephalosporin it can cause dysbiosis and can only be given by injection) but efficacy. It has now been shown to only be at effective levels for 12hrs after injection in the rabbit. If given intermittently then there is very little time that it is having any effect and risk of developing resistance is very high. If being used it should be injected twice daily to be effective (however safety of this is not yet established so I remain wary of it).
Steroid use for EC is less clearly defined. Many vets use them to reduce inflammation but there is an argument that because EC is infectious steroids actually reduce the body's defences against it. Metacam is less 'potent' at suppressing the immune system and I prefer to use this. You cannot use both meds at the same time though before any changes you would need to speak to your vet and find out how long-acting the steroid injection given is.
Did they do any diagnostics to find out what the underlying problem is?
Marie

So glad you have given your much valued opinion Marie :D

Can't add anything medical but sending wishes and hopes that little one beats this :)

He is MUCH worse now. On side completely (whole body) head tucking under at times. Eyes rolling. Off to vets now.

Help?

So sorry to hear the news Kris. The only thing you can do is to create him a 'padded cell' type housing set-up...so he can't hurt himself when he rolls.

Often head tilt buns get worse before they get better. The good news is that I've read that slow-onset tilt like this is more likely better than sudden onset, and my own experience with tilted buns supports this.

I know I sound like a broken record, but zithromax really did save Dominic's life when he had head tilt caused by a middle ear infection.

Also, I can't remember if you're using an anti-sickness drug like Stemetil?

Yip, my Kermit was awful, he couldnt even stand up, his head was mega tilted and he had nystygmus very bad.

You just need to get bun in a safe enclosure with rolled up towels at the side. You will probably have to offer bun the food and water, as they probably wont get to it themselves. I also used to site Kermit in his litter tray every so often so that he could pee in there if he was ready.

And, i agree with abbymarysmokey, it often gets worse before better. Often one step forwards and a million steps back, but if bun is eating and drinking, pooing and peeing then often they eventually get through this, sometimes witha residual head tilt like my Kermits.

We are back with Zithromax 1ml twice daily, they didn't have Stemetil so we have Emeprid in its place (was apparently the quivalent) 0.75ml once daily and metacam.

Back