• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*update* thank you - URGENT - I think Winston is going into stasis

So the vet has advised they keep him in another night. Although Winston is eating a little bit and pooing a little bit he isn't 100% so they want to carry on topping up his intake with syringe food. More experienced rabbit owners could probably manage this at home but I think it's best for them to stay at the vets. There is a nurse onsite during the night monitoring all the animals, they are the only animals on the exotics ward so have the place to themselves and it's lovely and quiet, apparently Edith is having a whale of a time!

My only concerned is RHD2 as they are not yet vaccinated against it. But they are the only rabbits there, they are on a separate ward to other animals and I just hope hygiene/hand washing is high on the agenda of all staff!

So the vet has advised they keep him in another night. Although Winston is eating a little bit and pooing a little bit he isn't 100% so they want to carry on topping up his intake with syringe food. More experienced rabbit owners could probably manage this at home but I think it's best for them to stay at the vets. There is a nurse onsite during the night monitoring all the animals, they are the only animals on the exotics ward so have the place to themselves and it's lovely and quiet, apparently Edith is having a whale of a time!

My only concerned is RHD2 as they are not yet vaccinated against it. But they are the only rabbits there, they are on a separate ward to other animals and I just hope hygiene/hand washing is high on the agenda of all staff!

I am sure it is a No1 priority at all times. It can take at least a couple of days on ongoing treatment for a Rabbit to get back to normal after an episode of gut stasis. So hopefully by this time tomorrow both input and output will have improved even more and Winston and Edith will be able to return home :)

Yes it can take a couple of days for the gut to get working normally again :) I think you're very wise letting him stay in.

I am sure the vets and nurses are totally across the hygiene aspect so please cross that off your worry list :)

The bunnies are home! Winston is on 0.5ml of Zantac twice a day and 0.5ml of metacam once a day......he's not a huge fan of the Zantac but didn't mind the metacam. They both ate a treat I gave them, rather begrudgingly I must say. I've left them alone in the kitchen to de-stress :)

The bunnies are home! Winston is on 0.5ml of Zantac twice a day and 0.5ml of metacam once a day......he's not a huge fan of the Zantac but didn't mind the metacam. They both ate a treat I gave them, rather begrudgingly I must say. I've left them alone in the kitchen to de-stress :)

I'm glad they are back with you :D

Good luck with the meds. I find the Ella's kitchen baby food invaluable for getting meds down bunnies, though they never seemed to mind the zantac.

Thanks for the advice MightyMax, Winston actually took his Zantac really well this evening :) He is eating, which is good, but his poos are still teeny tiny....fingers crossed for bigger poos tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice MightyMax, Winston actually took his Zantac really well this evening :) He is eating, which is good, but his poos are still teeny tiny....fingers crossed for bigger poos tomorrow!

You're welcome :)

Golden boulders, that's what we want to see, Winston!

Winston seems back to his usual self :) Both bunnies were following me round the kitchen this morning in the hope for some banana, a usual morning ritual! His poos are much more normal and he's eating lots of hay. I've booked a vet appointment appointment for Tuesday so he can have a check up and be given the all clear. Thank you all so much for all your kind thoughts and brilliant advice. I don't post a huge amount but I'm on RU pretty much everyday following all yours posts/stories. I just really appreciate that even though I don't post much you all responded to me and helped.

I am still off work. I've stopped vomiting (among other things!) but now I just have full blown really bad cold. I can't stand up/move for too long. I feel totally wiped out. We are supposed to be going to London to try our wedding rings on tomorrow, really hope I'm well enough.

That's good news about Winston.

I'm the same, got rid of that awful bug only to be rewarded with a horrible cold. Obviously taking the opportunity to strike when we are already low.

Hope you are well enough tomorrow, you must be really excited x

I'm glad to hear that Winston is doing a lot better. Now we just have to get you back to firing on all cylinders !!

Winston seems back to his usual self :) Both bunnies were following me round the kitchen this morning in the hope for some banana, a usual morning ritual! His poos are much more normal and he's eating lots of hay. I've booked a vet appointment appointment for Tuesday so he can have a check up and be given the all clear. Thank you all so much for all your kind thoughts and brilliant advice. I don't post a huge amount but I'm on RU pretty much everyday following all yours posts/stories. I just really appreciate that even though I don't post much you all responded to me and helped.

I am still off work. I've stopped vomiting (among other things!) but now I just have full blown really bad cold. I can't stand up/move for too long. I feel totally wiped out. We are supposed to be going to London to try our wedding rings on tomorrow, really hope I'm well enough.

I'm so glad to hear that Winston is doing well :)

Loads of get well vibes for you, and hope you make it to the smoke tomorrow .. xx

Back