• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update - No poo (again!) Socks is being spayed today

Rabbits can't maintain their body temperature well after an op so she really should be inside, so you can monitor her as well. Was she eating and drinking at the vet before they sent her home? Also a 24 hour injection is definitely not sufficient pain meds and she should be on a course of metacam, as standard. I wold go back to your vet and ask for some :thumb: hope she perks up soon

I had daisy in my house overnight to keep an eye on her (I also don't have an indoor cage so she was in her carrier and she didn't do much. I think she was a bit miserable being in there all alone. I put her back in her hutch the next morning (it's in a shed so not too cold) and she immediately perked up and started eating and pooing away.

Daisy also had the 24 pain injection. It might be worth bringing her in if you can just to monitor her easier.

24 pain relief never lasts 24 hours, in my experience and many other owners.

Rabbits metabolise medicines much faster than other animals. I would personally take her back to the vets this morning.

What are the chances of the vets giving me the pain meds to go away with without taking her in? I really don't want to unsettle her more than I have to - she's a really nervous bun.

Didn't know rabbits couldn't maintain temp. She has loads of extra hay for bedding as it's getting cold. Weird they don't advise you to keep them in!

Weird they don't advise you to keep them in!

Your vet should of done. Mine do (or rather they did, now I just get 'you know they drill' :lol:)

I would definately ask for more pain relief.

Do you have her confined? Sometimes a gentle supervised run around can help get the guts moving again.

Got her pain relief which she just took surprisingly well out of the syringe so hopefully that will help. I've just this minute put her out in the small run with some nibbles to try and tempt her as the pain relief was to be taken with food... She's had a few hops about but the carrier is in there in case she just wants to rest. Will keep a very close eye on her but she's much more herself if she thinks no ones watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Lol great news :lol: .. wish my bunny would take hers from the syringe i hate giving it to her knowing how much she doesn't like it :oops:

I kept Shadowfax inside for a week after her spey. She was very "doddery" and cold and slept all night cuddled up to a hot water bottle. I would bring her in tonight and keep a good eye on her to make sure everything is ok. I only kept Shadowfax indoors for a week because she has a shelf in her playhouse and didn't want her jumping up onto it.
I would also bring up the fact that the vets didn't advise you to keep her in and warm after the GA. :shock: That's a pretty bad lapse in info and could have ended tragically.

Glad she's starting to feel better now :thumb:

How confident are you in your vets? In my experience a rabbit savvy vet won't discharge them until they've had a poo or two.

glad she is doing well and has pooped. i was also going to ask if you're vets are rabbit savvy, because not sending pain relief home with her for at the very least a few days is worrying to me. :(

glad she's doing well though x

Glad she is doing well now. Just got Mottle home from having his teeth spurs done. It took him nearly five hours to come back to liveliness and start eating (and chinning everything in sight). He and Peaches seem to be enjoying exploring their new surroundings (half my bedroom).

Hope she continues to do well.

I must admit, I've never ever seen a vet that I've been happy with and I've seen a fair few both here and at home. I normally go on recommendations but they don't do much!
I'd rather join somewhere like this and do my own research so I know what I'm looking for and what to ask for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back