• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Uneaten Caecotrophs

clarebear

Mama Doe
Hello,

Sorry not been on here in a long time, life has kind of got in the way lately!

So, Bungee our house bunny is now 10 years old. Really good for her age, but just recently she has either over produced caecals or is just not eating them, and then she get them stuck on her feet or bum!

She recently went to the vets for her vaccination and they said she had lost weight, which I had put down to moulting, but now can see that she has.

I've upped her from 1 egg cup of pellets to 1 and a half. She still eats hay, but prehaps not quite as much at the moment. I changed her onto meadow hay thinking that maybe timothy was causing the problem, and it did solve it for a while. Unfortunately the last couple of batches of meadow hay weren't great, so I've swapped back to timothy, which looks amazing!

She has veggies in the evening, kale, coriander, mint, parsley and a slice of carrot and parsnip.

The vet also noticed some bumps on her, but I have yet to find these. They said to keep a check on her and to go back for another check up in a month or so. Any thoughts on what these could be? I think I was in shock and forgot to ask questions.

We are going on holiday next week, so I am a bit worried about leaving her, although I know she will be left in good hands with the lady who looks after her.

Any ideas or tips gratefully received!

We've never had a bunny reach this age and want to take the greatest care of her :love:

Thank you x

She could have some arthritis which makes it hard for her to reach her bum to eat her cecotrophs

High sugar veg such as parsnip and carrot can cause excess cecotrophs

Where are the lumps the Vet found ? Cant really comment as to what they may be without a bit more information.

Weight loss can occur in elderly Rabbits. They tend to be less mobile and muscle wastage occurs. Muscle weighs more than fat. Another possible cause of unexplained weight loss is renal problems, again not uncommon in elderly Rabbits. A blood test would be needed to asses renal function.

Dental problems can also occur in elderly Rabbits, even if they have never had them before. Signs can include a mucky bum and unexplained weight loss.

I am sure you will make the person looking after Bungee aware of her poo issues as she is at a higher risk of Flystrike and extra vigilance is needed regarding that.

Finally, sometimes Rabbits fed Excel pellets can produce excess cecotrophs. Cold pressed pellets seem less likely to do this.

I wouldn't change anything until you get back from holiday. Just make sure that the bunnysitter knows to keep her bum clean and check her over at least a couple of times a day - there's a higher risk of fly strike with a mucky bum and warmer weather, even for indoor rabbits.

When you get back - increased pellets may be the cause of increased caecals, as could something like arthritis if she can't reach as well as she used to. Ask your vet about arthritis at her next checkup - it may be worth trying a short course of daily anti-inflammatory (eg metacam) to see it makes a difference. A full blood profile may also be useful to check organ function is all ok.

Junior pellets may help to keep her weight up - swap over gradually
Readygrass is higher calorie / protein than standard hay. Again, introduce slowly.
It may also be worth doing some top up feeds eg. Critical Care a couple of times a day, if she will accept them.

Ah thank you both so much for your replies.

I did think about arthritis, as she has started doing a funny little leg stretch that she didn't do before. Also when she jumps out of her litter tray and sandpit I'venoticed that sometimes she catches her back legs. She can still dig and run around like a loony though!

I don't know much about renal problems, but will certainly look into this and mention it to the vet too.

The lumps the vet said she found (unfortunately still not allowed in with Bungee), were all over her body, I don't think there were many, and she didn't seem overly concerned, but wanted to keep an eye on them.

The vet had checked her teeth and said they seemed to be okay, but maybe worth checking again.

Jennie who will be looking after her is very experienced with bunnies, which is reassuring, and I know she will keep a close eye on her for us.

Ready Grass - what a great idea and Bungee loves it too. Will introduce some when we get back from holiday.

Also hadn't thought about critical care, good idea.

I will weigh her this weekend, because I feel she may have put on a little bit of weight already.

She is on Science Selective pellets.

Thank you so much x

Back